Laptop Mounts - Faq (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
I replaced Rachel's laptop last year and I had this 4 year old laptop lying around. I took it on trips like Moab and the Black Hills. It still works fine for the web and most office type applications.

I had a Dell Pocket PC I used as a GPS. The one thing I didn't like is it provided a small view based on its screen. When I expanded out it was hard to see.

So I researched computer mounts and seemed a lot of people had success with the RAM Mount III.

I went ahead and installed the setup. Using it for GPS and detecting wifi spots. In addition to my company provided broadband card, it provides a lot of flexibility on the road to surf the internet, look up my PDF engine repair manual, use MS Office for anything needed and to use for GPS for on and off road. I can also watch movies (Not while I am driving). So I also bought a 12V plug for the laptop to run off one of my aux ports

Not sure how much punishment it can take so I will try it out at Moab. If I like having the laptop and this doesn't hold up, I can get one of those smaller tough books.

If I don't like it, I can go back to my PocketPC setup

The RAM Mount was fairly simple to install, kind of a PIA though the way You had to drop nuts down a hole and shove something in it to hold it in place while you ran a screw from the other side.

The base has a spring that slides to open different sized laptops and keeps it in place

Pretty stable setup. It does vibrate a little bit, but thats to be expected.
Computer Mount 013.JPG
Computer Mount 014.JPG
Computer Mount 015.JPG

I can take the top part off easily and the base really doesn't get in the way of the passenger.

With the laptop installed, you can still fit a passenger, just part of the laptop is in their space
Computer Mount 021.JPG
Computer Mount 022.JPG
Computer Mount 023.JPG

Nice write up Ken! FYI, to anyone that is looking for a laptop to mount in their 80 using the RAM mount - try finding a used Panasonic ToughBook. They are super rugged and Ram makes a docking station designed to work with their mounts. The whole package makes for a very clean install. The ToughBooks can be had pretty cheap if you look around Fleabay or CL. I have one that is almost 6 years old and runs great. A simple memory upgrade can make them run like new again. JM $.02

those RAM mounts rock :cheers:i mounted my lap top the same way works well.

A very nice write up Ken!

Jotodesk standard mount

This was mine, the "standard" Jotodesk that had a plate with four (one at each corner) and I just used self-tapping metal screws into the tranny hump and it held up very nicely. Not perfect for some but a cheap eBay alternative. A pin would allow the entire stalk to be removed leaving just the metal plate with a steel stud. I placed mine based on the forward most extent of the passenger seat and made it snug. The screen control arm thingy was really beneficial and I found the velcro straps held much better and securely than the stretchy things.
interior1.jpg
PS_interior.jpg
mike dusy.jpg

EXCELLENT add, Romer. I've been looking for something like this for a while. Was about to get the generic Jotto or Ram mount, and have a friend fab up a no-holes mount for it.

Last edited:
EXCELLENT add, Romer. I've been looking for something like this for a while. Was about to get the generic Jotto or Ram mount, and have a friend fab up a no-holes mount for it. Of the group I'm chasing with in May, half use Jotto, the other half Ram. Here's the TIV2 with a Ram. The inside of your LX is close to looking like this one!

WTF!?! I didn't know the Apache came with a Dodge steering wheel! :eek: And is that a child car seat for the pilot? LOL.

Holy S*** Let's see a picture of that beast.

Nice install. I've seen the CF-29 toughbooks off lease for $350.00, tigerdirect, new egg. I thought about one just for the ruggedized aspect.

Some of our vehicles at work are set up with the below linked armrest printer. This one's a RAM but I know Gamber Johnson makes one too.

RAM Console Combination Armrest/Printer Holder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom