Official Supercharger Owner's Thread: Would you supercharge all over again? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to start this thread so that all of the TRD supercharger owners could comment on on whether or not you would supercharge now that it is available again. I have been doing hours of searches and research and I have to say that I have been finding mixed reviews both good and bad.

Since adding a S/C is such a financial commitment (both in initial cost and possible engine wear/tear) I thought it would be nice to have owners comment on one thread so we can leave the "new TRD S/C thread" clear of turbo vs S/C talk and have a thorough discussion here.

I am strongly considering ordering one of the new TRD kits when Dan gets back in town and I would like to go into this with eyes wide open so I know exactly what I am getting myself into. My 1997 LX has 141K miles and had a Lexus Dealership Head Gasket job done by the PO at 82K (3/26/2003) with the 04111-66035 gasket kit.

Thanks in advance for everyones comments and advice!:cheers:

Last edited:
Yes Id do it again
I put it on at 100k and now have over 130k with the stock headgasket,PHH,and rad but I did change the waterpump and clutch fan when I put it one only cause I was in there with the SC install:hmm:

No, I wouldn't. Mainly due to initial expense but also future headaches. I purchased my truck with it on, so I never knew any different. Had I bought an 80 without it there are a million other areas I would have sunk $4k before a supercharger. I bought the truck with 70k on it, it was installed at 40k, sold the truck with 130k on it, and never had one issue. I did have concerns about overheating, but had learned to drive to compensate for any issues. But if I had more (lots more) disposable income, I'd definitely consider it. It makes a lethargic truck actually scoot pretty good.

No, I wouldn't. Mainly due to initial expense but also future headaches. I purchased my truck with it on, so I never knew any different. Had I bought an 80 without it there are a million other areas I would have sunk $4k before a supercharger. I bought the truck with 70k on it, it was installed at 40k, sold the truck with 130k on it, and never had one issue. I did have concerns about overheating, but had learned to drive to compensate for any issues. But if I had more (lots more) disposable income, I'd definitely consider it. It makes a lethargic truck actually scoot pretty good.

You don't have an 80 anymore so you don't count :D

Hell yeah It's great and I have a second 80 without a SC so I can see the difference whenever I drive that one

I would do it again, and again, and again.

Two very real downsides to consider:
Aquisition cost and the necessity to run premium fuel for as long as it's on there.

I had my TRD supercharger put on my 1995 L/C about 10 years and 45,000 miles ago. No other modifications to the motor. Have had no problems with the vehicle at all. Had the install done to improve highway performance on hills especially at higher altitudes (Mammoth Lakes, California and/or Reno, Nevada). Do not regret the install at all. True it requires Super gas, but if you feather the gas pedal I think it gets better gas mileage. Not enough to make up for the price differential though.

Geeze, this is tough one.

I have the blessing of both the Shamen and the Defender of the newbies. How could I go wrong with this one? Wait a minute here, the Shamen might be biased, he does have to feed his dogs after all.:Djk

I know Dan has the methanol injection kit off of a WWII fighter plane jk, but Ken, have you done anything to deal with the potential for overheating besides your new brass radiator and fan clutch?

I flushed my cooling system really well this summer, added a new OEM thermostat, blue hub fan clutch (stock-not modded), raventai temp mod (for closer temp monitoring), OEM cap, rotor, and plugs, and Silicone PHH.

Right now It doesn't seem like I have any overheating issues. I can drive with the AC on high around town and on the freeway in the summer (sorry no hills to test it on, unfortunately I'm in Iowa).

I listed the HG info in the opening post. So based on what you guys know about my rigs pm/maintenance history, and my grandpa driving style, does it seem like my rig is a good candidate for a S/C.

If so I think I'm going to pull the trigger when Dan gets back to NM.:wrench:

Sounds like your a good candidate.

Have you had your fuel injectors ultrasonically cleaned?

The mods I did for the SC was the Temp and boost gauge on the A piller.

A year later I added the JDM fan. There were ocassions I shut off the ac because of steep climbs when towing on really hot days, with the fan I don't have that issue. You may nopt need the fan. The stand alone temp gauge will tell you and it only takes a few minutes to add later.

My engine bay is probably hotter because I have dual batteries and very little room for air flow and PIAA lights on my bumper which reduces incoming airflow

It's almost a necessity at high altitude (town is 8,000 and it's all up from there) to make the 80 streetable. I have one as well as my two good friends in Aspen with modified 80s. One of those guys just got his (used), and he can't stop smiling.

As I've said before, it doesn't make your 80 fast, it just keeps it from being slow...

Well I've had mine on now since about 90K (now at 145K). The initial cost was not that great--I paid less than $3K for it at the time ($2700 IIRC, but not sure anymore). Had the local dealer put the new pulley on 'cus I didn't want to mess with that kind of trouble, and then I put the rest on. Probably cost me a total of $3500.

If you're gonna worry about the cost of using premium fuel vs regular, then you can't afford the kit in the first place. Around here, premium is about 20 cents a gallon more than regular, which is about $5 a tank of gas. When you're paying $100 for a tank, it doesn't make a difference.

I'd definitely do it again. At the time I installed mine, I was doing a lot of towing, and the stock engine just didn't have the power to go up hills at highway speeds. The S/C solved that nicely. I also felt it reduced the wear and tear on the engine since with the stock engine I frequently found it shifting down, and revving quite high. With the S/C, it almost never shifts down, so my revs are lower overall.

At this point, I can't imagine driving it without that power. It's quite the different truck. I had thought of customizing an intercooler for it, but not any more. Just fine the way it is...

Tom

Well I've had mine on now since about 90K (now at 145K). The initial cost was not that great--I paid less than $3K for it at the time ($2700 IIRC, but not sure anymore). Had the local dealer put the new pulley on 'cus I didn't want to mess with that kind of trouble, and then I put the rest on. Probably cost me a total of $3500.

If you're gonna worry about the cost of using premium fuel vs regular, then you can't afford the kit in the first place. Around here, premium is about 20 cents a gallon more than regular, which is about $5 a tank of gas. When you're paying $100 for a tank, it doesn't make a difference.

I'd definitely do it again. At the time I installed mine, I was doing a lot of towing, and the stock engine just didn't have the power to go up hills at highway speeds. The S/C solved that nicely. I also felt it reduced the wear and tear on the engine since with the stock engine I frequently found it shifting down, and revving quite high. With the S/C, it almost never shifts down, so my revs are lower overall.

At this point, I can't imagine driving it without that power. It's quite the different truck. I had thought of customizing an intercooler for it, but not any more. Just fine the way it is...

Tom

I was planning on doing the install myself and I don't know if I would trust my local dealer to install anything, but it would be nice to have a shop do that because I don't think I would have a use for a 350ft/lb torque wrench after this install and my torch/welder are in Utah at my folks place so I can't make an sst. I might make a 700 mile round trip to Chicago to have a S/C install party with another forum member because the :princess:want to see Chicago.

I am not worried about using premium beacause I already use premium. We have that nasty ethanol blend government subsidy bull shizz fuel out here and my exaust smells like death when I run it, so like you said $5-10 is a drop in the bucket when I'm paying 100 bones already at the pump.

Sounds like your a good candidate.

Have you had your fuel injectors ultrasonically cleaned?

The mods I did for the SC was the Temp and boost gauge on the A piller.

A year later I added the JDM fan. There were ocassions I shut off the ac because of steep climbs when towing on really hot days, with the fan I don't have that issue. You may nopt need the fan. The stand alone temp gauge will tell you and it only takes a few minutes to add later.

My engine bay is probably hotter because I have dual batteries and very little room for air flow and PIAA lights on my bumper which reduces incoming airflow

I have not had my injectors ultrasonically cleaned yet. Is that really critical or could I wait a while until I have a little more spare time?

Any estimates on the price of a boost and temp guage + and an A pillar mounting pod? I'll have to look at CDans ROTW to see what make model A pillar pod he used.

The install looks fairly straight forward. I think I might just have to pull the trigger. I'll keep researching this more while Dan is playing at Powell.

Thanks for the great responses. It sounds like I have heard more positive than negative so far.

Ting- Thanks for the advice, I'll PM George.

Last edited:
You might want to start PM people with SC. Have you talked to Geroge? He helped installed quite a few SC in the Bay Area.

Bought the truck at ~92K miles in FL and immediately drove it home to CA. Installed the S/C by ~95K. HG went at ~162K, triggering a major refit/update. There is always one more thing to sort out, but I could not be happier with my S/C'ed truck even if I had good sense. BigMac

Injectors are just to get the best performance. You asked if there was anything else. The cooling system is the have to do. Make sure its in great shape

JDM fan Install https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/160331-jdm-aux-fan-install-doesnt-get-easier.html

Gauges:

Auto Meter Z-Series 2-1/16" Mechanical Boost / Vacuum Gauge 30 In.Hg / 20 PSI Gauge. A48-2601
ISSPRO #R5650 Water Temp gauge (Same as Cdan):

A Piller
Autometer #20112 "fits 1994-2001 Acura Integra". Double pod in Tan color. This installs on the pillar to the left of the windsheild.

FAQ thread on modification of A Piller https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/121529-dual-gauge-pod-install.html

I had my TRD supercharger put on my 1995 L/C about 10 years and 45,000 miles ago. No other modifications to the motor. Have had no problems with the vehicle at all. Had the install done to improve highway performance on hills especially at higher altitudes (Mammoth Lakes, California and/or Reno, Nevada). Do not regret the install at all. True it requires Super gas, but if you feather the gas pedal I think it gets better gas mileage. Not enough to make up for the price differential though.

Gold Badges - The first post since 2006? Where have you been?

I have been searching some more threads and I thought I might mention that right now my Raventai temp gauge is usually in the center (~189*)? with the AC on in 85-94* weather around town. With the AC off it drops almost a needle width down below center.

One thing that has been nagging me is the rusty colored distilled water that I drained out of my cooling system after I flushed the dang thing a dozen times.

My rear heater lines looked decent from the outside. Other than that, I am not sure what could be giving me the rust.

One of the main things I am reading is that the cooling system has to be top notch before an S/C install.

I am wondering if the rust colored junk is going to disqualify me as a candidate.

I am wondering if the rust colored junk is going to disqualify me as a candidate.

Regardless if you install a SC or not, your cooling system on the 80 needs to be in top condition. These trucks have a variety of problems created when the cooling system is neglected or abused. How "rust colored" are we talking about? How much "junk" are we talking about?

-B-

I would absolutely add ther S/C again. It completely changes the character of the truck.:D

Before I installed mine: new head gasket, new 3 row brass radiator, new fan clutch. These were all done because they were needed; well before I planned on adding the S/C.

Since I'm in California the TRD S/C is the only completely legal setup for me. . . .but I would love even more power. :hmm: I may still intercool someday.

My Supercharger install

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom