FJZ80 Strut Grill - Satoshi Grill Mod Style (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

treerootCO

Where are my keys?!
Threads
Website
home.comcast.net
FJZ80 Strut Grill - Satoshi Style

:grinpimp:

I'll add text and more pics soon. Click here pics of the grill mod progression.

Strut grill almost complete :grinpimp: The 1964 Toyota emblem will have the letters painted the same color as the truck as soon as I get around to it. The insert is all powercoated, the surround is painted to match.

The Satoshi grill mod was my inspiration. Here is another page on a similar mod.

This thread needed better pics....the 800x600 seems too compressed even maxed out at 130kb.

DSCF6283.JPG

FZJ80grill1.jpg
mounted2.jpg
DSCF6031.jpg

Last edited:
Goes nicely with the custom powder coated Slee sliders, Shortbus front, and rear bumper. Painted the Safari Snorkel as well. Christo said I couldn't put a snorkel on my 80 unless I painted it. :D
DSCF5333.jpg
DSCF5366.jpg
DSCF5408.jpg

That is very cool. Do you want to do another one?

that's to cool, I'll get to that when I find that nice woven looking mesh you got there, you found it where please?:hmm:

That is very cool. Do you want to do another one?

Oh god no :) This project kept my mind occupied for quite some time.

that's to cool, I'll get to that when I find that nice woven looking mesh you got there, you found it where please?:hmm:

The Western Group / Colorado 800-338-1830
The Western Group - Contact Us

The mesh I used is actually an aggregate screen used in the mining industry.

subzali said:
So you're trying to cut the red rectangle out of the black square? You need at least 30" x 30" to get the shape I show there. My rectangle is dimensionally correct for 12" x 30", so if I assume the hypotenuse of one of the black squares is 6", then 6*cos(45) = 4.24, so each of the black squares is 4.24 on each side. There are 7 x 7 to fit your shape inside, so that's just under 30" x 30". HTH
DSCF5414.jpg
Treeroot.jpg
mesh1.jpg

i have something similar, stainless woven mesh in the grill of the crawler:p

'course, it ain't a DD.........
P8280110.jpg

what steps did you take to paint the snorkel? special prep for plastic?

the grille looks nice, Clownmidget did something similar and always liked the aggressive look.

what steps did you take to paint the snorkel? special prep for plastic?

the grille looks nice, Clownmidget did something similar and always liked the aggressive look.

I started by sandblasting the snorkel and the backs of all the grill pieces. The mag chloride did a number to the chrome. You can see the pics in the link above are all green where the copper has oxidized. The ARB/Safari has a texture that I didn't want so I sanded it down. Started with a pretty agressive grit and worked down to the finest I had. I then washed everything in acetone followed by dish soap and then acetone again. Before paint I sanded everything again with the red Scotch pads. I read about antistatic paint needed but I didn't use it. The guy at the paint store recommended I use Bulldog as the first step. Paint used:

Bulldog adhesion promoter
Omni MP282 with MH283 hardner
Color was PPG Deltron2000 DBC basecoat with DT870 reducer
Clear was PPG Concept DCU2042, DT870 reducer, DCX61 hardner, and some DX814 universal flexibilizer.

Three light coats of Bulldog
two coats primer
two coats color
and two coats clear. 1.4m HVLP for color and clear, crappy gun for primer.

Treeroot-that looks super. You could make and sell those, I'm sure.

Which truck were you driving at Rubithon? I'm trying to put a face with the moniker.

Treeroot-that looks super. You could make and sell those, I'm sure.

Which truck were you driving at Rubithon? I'm trying to put a face with the moniker.

Riding shotgun with UncleBen aka Kevin Ehrlick. 40th anniversary sage 80.

Looks good! Any shots of it on the truck?

You really should make these and sell them!

Looks good! Any shots of it on the truck?

Not yet, the truck is in the process of getting repainted. I didn't want to get overspray on the new parts.
Before and after
Before.jpg
DSCF6031.jpg

Last edited:
I'm trying to put a face with the moniker.

first row, 2nd from the left (Picture of the Rising Sun group at the Rubithon)

attachment.php

That looks awesome Mike

Little known fact....

Mike played Samwise Rootree in the broadway version of the Lord of the Rings. :lol:

Can't wait to see the Rig finished Root! What color are you painting? white again?

(photo was from the old Orion photochop sessions)
rootandfrodo.jpg

wow, that is an awesome idea, im debating if I should try it but I do have a "LEXUS" and that may look sort of contrasting with the "L" on the back and inside but I dont know, anyhow I cant wait to see how it turns out!!:cheers:

:bounce: boy, treerootCO, you just pissed my :princess: off! now I have a new project to embark on... nice mod, good fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom