Largest Tire Size w/out lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my lc is in pretty dire need of some new tires, i have the goodyear fortera hl's on there now and they performed well, but i am looking for a larger size, maybe get some new wheels, i believe the lug pattern is 6x5.5 and i was just wondering what some of you guys were running for tires, im just not coming up with very many off road or M/T tires in the 275/70/16 size. anything helps. i am new to this forum and am looking forward to any responses.

thanks

You can fit 255/85/16- bfg MT's. They are 33.3" tall/skinnies. I ran them on my stock lift/mushy old springs for a while no problems whatsoever. This is what they look like with OldManEmu-stock height lift which gets you about 1.25"-1-5" of lift that the old springs have lost. Sorry i cant seem to find shots with them and the stock springs....

Slee Offroad has springs for 300ish- and you can get stock OEM (tokiko)Toyota on discount thru CDan (everyones friendly Toyota parts guru)for $125 for the set. The Toyota shocks are good if you plan on keeping your weight close to stock.
View attachment 193592View attachment 193593

Last edited:
Bugsnbikes;
not to hijack, but how would you compare the OME no-lift springs to new stock springs?
ie: ride height the same, the ride the same or a tad stiffer, a lot stiffer(spring rates) compared to new stock springs?

33s or 285/75/16 would be the biggets id go without lift.

Getting a tire with a taller side wall will help protect your new rims also.

Bugsnbikes;
not to hijack, but how would you compare the OME no-lift springs to new stock springs?
ie: ride height the same, the ride the same or a tad stiffer, a lot stiffer(spring rates) compared to new stock springs?

Ive only ridden my dead-mush-100k stock springs....so cant compare.

I have been experimenting with the OME no-lift heavies w/stock Toyota springs(brand new) and they definitely have a sweet spot---front end like 90-150lbs over stock.(more or less is harsher). Im still working on rear end figures--but already the range is greater with as little as 60lbs in the tail taking off the edge(working my way up to max this week)

To compare to the 100k old stock springs/dead shocks....... the OME is much stiffer-less brake dive-much less body roll in turns. With the added weight tho you gain all the aforementioned attributes without any harshess.

At the top of the front page of the 80's section you'll see a 'Newbies check here first' post.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/announcement.php?f=9&a=8

It has a link to the FAQ.

The FAQ has a link to a thread all about tire sizes.

The FAQ also has lots-n-lots-n-lots of other good information to start with.

The bottom line is 33" without lift AND gear correction. Going beyond that is VERY possible. A few have done 35" without lift. That becomes a mixed bag.

Gearing becomes a big issue with 35" and larger.

IMHO YMMV Etc...

Welcome! :flipoff2:

Bugsnbikes;

Thought I would chime in....huge difference over the undersprung stock springs. No more sway in the corners or nose diving when I hit the brakes. Difference is night and day. I got a slight lift from the OME 861/862's...like 1 inch. Best mod by far.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=190148

Here is the thread that I started. I have the Michelin 275-70R16 that was replaced by Nitto Terra Grappler in 295-75R16 tires measuring between 33.2 -33.4 and they are on stock suspension. Enjoy:grinpimp:

pacnw96;(not to hij-ck)
How do the OME springs affect the ride comfort; I'm all for comfort due to my long multi-hour trips.

I must oppose the above. On 4-Runners, Monteros and such, a 31" was the best size without other mods. On the 80, 315/75 is the equal, being the most that can be mounted stock. There may be slight fenderwell rubbing on the rear, but no harm done.
In my area, many 80's are still mom's wagons. They are stock. Dad allows this as long as he can put some real tires on it. The size of choice is the 315/75-16 on a stock rig. This allows dad to drive the high roads on weekends while Mom drives the kids to school in it on weekdays.

so would i be able to run 305/70/16 coopers with no lift with no problems

I would like to fill the wheelwells with tire instead of the wide-open-space without having to lift it and loose the ride quality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom