AZ NO-Bull Bar Phase II (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MaddBaggins

Remember the KnightRider!
Threads
I finally made it to phase II of my custom front bumper. I first built this bumper with the help of a friend over 2 years ago. That same friend and I recently began some changes that I had in mind for quite some time.
The original thread is here https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=46827

Phase 2 started with some shackle points from 4x4 labs. The same ones are in my 4x4 Labs rear DIY bumper. I then added some reinforcing gussetts to those points and the main bumper.

Here is a pic of the gussetts and recovery points added to the original bumper
DSC01911.jpg

I then used a print of the above pic to draw out what I had in mind for the stinger and headlight hoops.
We used 1-3/4 tube .120 wall. appx 15'

First the middle hoop was figured out and bent and welded into place. I drove it around for a couple of weeks until we had an opportunity to finish. I don't have a bender so this job had to be coordinated with when my buddy had time.

Then we did the uprights/supports for the center hoop. Once those were done we figured out the headlight hoops and got those in place. The next day at home I put in the bracket for the LightForce 170's and got it painted.

All told about 7 hours of work for Phase II of my bumper.
DSC01931.jpg
DSC01933.jpg
DSC01940.jpg

Last edited:
And a few more pics.

Romer, can you add this Phase II to the forum members front bumpers FAQ.

These pics don't really do it justice. It's pretty sweet and still lighter than an ARB. There is room under the lights for my (future) receiver mounted winch. It will probably be a T-Max Outback series. They have a good low profile to fit under the lights.
DSC01941.jpg
DSC01942.jpg
DSC01945.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Phil, I look forward to showing it off next week in Payson. See you there.

And a couple more, because I can.
DSC01939.jpg
DSC01943.jpg
DSC01946.jpg

Last edited:
it looks really clean and nice in #1, without the hoops. Good work, unique. very cool you have the fab skill

what is a 'stinger'?

Thumbs up for trying something different from everyone else and doing it yourself. It's nice to see some new ideas come to the table to give others (including vendors) ideas for new designs.

Personally I don't like the side peices you've added. The center stinger/light brackets are decent but the lines of the side peices make it look very bulky. Just my opinion which doesn't matter anyway. If you are pleased with it then run it. Looks plenty strong.

Once again good job being unique and trying something on your own.

it looks really clean and nice in #1, without the hoops. Good work, unique. very cool you have the fab skill

what is a 'stinger'?

A stinger is what my buddy calls the center hoop (not sure why). It is higher than the radiator so, in theory, it would protect the radiator in a roll over. The headlight hoops are also high enough that they should protect the battery as well. With those things protected, if the rig isn't completely toast, it should be able to start up and drive again. I sincerely hope I never have to test that theory, but I know someone who has and his rig started up.

Hey Alvin,

Looks really good! Sorry I have not been in touch just really wrapped up at work. Again the bumper is very nice!

Thumbs up for trying something different from everyone else and doing it yourself. It's nice to see some new ideas come to the table to give others (including vendors) ideas for new designs.

Personally I don't like the side peices you've added. The center stinger/light brackets are decent but the lines of the side peices make it look very bulky. Just my opinion which doesn't matter anyway. If you are pleased with it then run it. Looks plenty strong.

Once again good job being unique and trying something on your own.

Thanks
Yeah, I was on the fence about doing those as well. But in the end I decided I wanted the extra protection for the whole front end. The only rub about doing it the way I did is that when I burn out a bulb I will have to undo all 14 bolts holding on the bumper and slide it forward until it almost comes off...just to change a bulb.

Thanks Evan, I figured you've been busy, you'll have to come over and check it out.

Very nice Alvin....looking forward to seeing it next weekend.

Dunno what kind of wheeling you do, but one of the functions of the stinger is to aid in steep descents--kinda like sliders for the front end--they keep you off the rocks until you get your wheels off the hill. that being said, are you worried about the lights getting taken out while wheeling?

I like the lines of the original bumper, the tubes look good, but not my style.

Web wheeling only for me.... he he he.

Dunno what kind of wheeling you do, but one of the functions of the stinger is to aid in steep descents--kinda like sliders for the front end--they keep you off the rocks until you get your wheels off the hill. that being said, are you worried about the lights getting taken out while wheeling?

I like the lines of the original bumper, the tubes look good, but not my style.

Well, if I ever come down anything steep enough to rub that stinger the lights may get hit on the bottom edge. If I'm lucky they will just get hinged back. Or if I know it's gonna be a rough descent, I can push them back some.

What is phase III ? I still like the idea we talked about a while back of the tube fenders tied into the sliders or frame.

Guys,
Excuse the hijack for a noob question: For these bull/roo bars, are Mudder's out there running into deer, etc. in such numbers, that these bars are a must have? I guess if I was down in Australia, running fast on some of the roads where there were a lot of roo's, then I could see it. But, is this really an issue in places like New Mexico or Arizona, with deer running wild?

I'm sure there are some side benefit's in having the bars: mount extra lights? Minimize damage to vehicle when in a wreck...I recall a thread where Romer's daughter was in an accident, and there was less/no damage because of the bars. Fair enough.

I also understand some just like the look of the bars, and perhaps that's justification enough. Bottom line, just wondering if it's more of a want versus a need. For those who have been Mudder's for a long time, do you hear a lot of "thank god I had the bull/roo bar" stories? Sorry for rambling, it's getting late.
Aloha,
Joe

Guys,
Excuse the hijack for a noob question: For these bull/roo bars, are Mudder's out there running into deer, etc. in such numbers, that these bars are a must have? I guess if I was down in Australia, running fast on some of the roads where there were a lot of roo's, then I could see it. But, is this really an issue in places like New Mexico or Arizona, with deer running wild?

I'm sure there are some side benefit's in having the bars: mount extra lights? Minimize damage to vehicle when in a wreck...I recall a thread where Romer's daughter was in an accident, and there was less/no damage because of the bars. Fair enough.

I also understand some just like the look of the bars, and perhaps that's justification enough. Bottom line, just wondering if it's more of a want versus a need. For those who have been Mudder's for a long time, do you hear a lot of "thank god I had the bull/roo bar" stories? Sorry for rambling, it's getting late.
Aloha,
Joe

Actually, yes. Deer are a concern in Arizona. There is a lot of open land and when your barrelling down a dirt road a deer can really ruin your day. I've almost hit a couple already. There are a lot of white tail and mule deer around the southwest deserts. And coyotes, although they just go under the rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom