How big of a tire can I go on a BJ-74 with OME suspension? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

Now that the snow is here in Ottawa I am thinking of the Mud in the spring all ready. I am curisous how big of a tire people (height and width) are running with OME suspensiona and stock gears on a BJ-74 manual tranny?

I currently have 33x10.5 BFG AT's and well I am not happy with them. They are good on pavement and ok off road, but suck in real mud. I was thinking of trying to find a 35"x 10.5 tire but they are hard to find. I was going to go with Thronbirds as I can get the size I am looking for but road manners are not great on wet or snowy/icy pavement. I was thinking about the TRXUS but they only come in 12.5 width for the 25 " height, and I found when I went to a 12.5 width on my BJ-60 the truck strained alot more to get upto and maintain highway speed. Maybe it is not as big of a deal with the 13-BT motor, which is why I am asking you guys for opinions.

Thanks,
Todd

skinny said:
Hey Guys,

Now that the snow is here in Ottawa I am thinking of the Mud in the spring all ready. I am curisous how big of a tire people (height and width) are running with OME suspensiona and stock gears on a BJ-74 manual tranny?

I currently have 33x10.5 BFG AT's and well I am not happy with them. They are good on pavement and ok off road, but suck in real mud. I was thinking of trying to find a 35"x 10.5 tire but they are hard to find. I was going to go with Thronbirds as I can get the size I am looking for but road manners are not great on wet or snowy/icy pavement. I was thinking about the TRXUS but they only come in 12.5 width for the 25 " height, and I found when I went to a 12.5 width on my BJ-60 the truck strained alot more to get upto and maintain highway speed. Maybe it is not as big of a deal with the 13-BT motor, which is why I am asking you guys for opinions.

Thanks,
Todd

I am running belton suspension on my 89' (I think I have a leaf in the front and rear out) and I was running 35x12.5x15's with no problems. I did not like the rake in the front and it will just touch a bit if I wheel. I also have the auto and have not turned up the fuel on the 13BT yet so I went back to 33" 10.5 15's for now but you can put 35" on it.

Cheers,

Michael

Not to threadjack but it's kinda related. I currently run 31x10.5x15 on the stock suspension on my BJ74. I plan to upgrade to the Belton suspension in the future but in the mean time my current BFG AT's need to be replaced. What would be a recommended size where the truck is primarly a daily driver and right now doesn't see too much time off road?

Canuk, you can run 33 skinny with no lift on the BJ74 and a daily drive i would recommend the 33s
cheers

skinny said:
Hey Guys,

Thanks,
Todd
35s work exellent but do eat the fuel a bit more...

Are the stock gears 4.11s in the 74s?
I test fitted Greg_B's 35x10.5 Swamper SSRs on my OME'd 70 once. They fit, but I didn't get to put it on a ramp to see if they were going to rub at full flex. Looked like they might have.
The gearing felt about right with my 4.56s.

I also run 35 MTR's w/ just an OME susp....you'll want to change the gears to 4.56 for sure

dieselbigot said:
I also run 35 MTR's w/ just an OME susp....you'll want to change the gears to 4.56 for sure

I did not think my BJ74 with 35's needed regearing...cept for the low range aspect. Some 3:05 low range gears would fix this. That said, 4:56's would not be too much gearing.

12.5's would take more energy to move, as I have the 35x10.5R16 SSR's. Dunno if the weight of the SSR's would make it a wash with regular 35's at 12.5".

hth's

gb

Last edited:
I thought if you like good power and performace to put 35" go with 4.56, but I thought DD with 33" and 4.11 is the perfect conviantion.

With skinny tires and rims you may even be able to get away with 34" tires. This 75 series is running 34x10.5x16 Swampers with stock factory suspension.

Dave

swampers3.JPG

Thanks guys for the info.

So it sounds like 35's may need regearing, although Greg seems fine with his 10.5 x 35's, whcih is exacltly what I am leaning towards. I really don't want to swap gears yet.

Now to find a tire 35" x 10.5" tire that will preform off road, and have ok road manners (not let thw arse end slide out on wet pavement). I really don't car about noise from the road. My main goal is to have a excellent preforming mud tire.

Thanks again,
Todd

Greg and I both run 255/85r/16 as daily on road tires. Greg has those 35" SSRs for wheeling. I definitely noticed a significant decrease in acceleration going from 32" tires to the 255/85r/16 (33.3")...but the 13B-T, H55f and 4.11 combo will do fine with 35"s, as mentioned by Wayne.

shoot... how did i miss this thread?

Dave, that 75 is awesome with 34 swampers. That's what I want to run on my 70.

FWIW i have 7x16 (31's) with OME. I dropped in fine spline 4.11's and my gearing is back to stock. I can definatly see the need for 4.56's with 35's.

dieselbigot said:

Maybe need new gears for the 3B in Brett's but my 74 with auto is ok with the stock 4.11 gears. I also have BJ70 ragtop running Truxus 35" with 4.11 and 3bII and it is also fine with 4.11 gears.

Michael

skinny said:
Thanks guys for the info.

So it sounds like 35's may need regearing, although Greg seems fine with his 10.5 x 35's, whcih is exacltly what I am leaning towards. I really don't want to swap gears yet.

Now to find a tire 35" x 10.5" tire that will preform off road, and have ok road manners (not let thw arse end slide out on wet pavement). I really don't car about noise from the road. My main goal is to have a excellent preforming mud tire.

Thanks again,
Todd

The best tire I have ever bought that is awesome off-road and great ride on-road (quieter than MTR's by a lot) are Interco Trxus M/T

I Highly recomend these tires, they are cheaper than MTR's and wear and ride better, and off-road the they beat the MTR's easily.

Cheers,

Michael
IMG_2974b.jpg

beanz2 said:
With skinny tires and rims you may even be able to get away with 34" tires. This 75 series is running 34x10.5x16 Swampers with stock factory suspension.

Dave

swampers3.JPG

Wow Dave!

That is one nice looking 75.

Left Hand Drive too!!

Hey wait a minute.......................... it looks oddly familiar now?

I bet it has A/C too right?

The 75 sure does look good wearing swampers now, Dave

Skinny,

I have 35x12.50 BFG KMs on 10J rims on my 44 with same combo and gears. I have no problems with power. She zips around just fine.

You should also keep in mind that you want to find the lightest tire and wheel combo as possible to avoid losing that much more power. i.e. alloy and radial. Swampers (even radial) are heavy tires compared to the likes of a Geolander or BFG radial of the same size.

So there is my .02 cents on the question at hand.

Randy

PacToy said:
Wow Dave!

That is one nice looking 75.

Left Hand Drive too!!

Hey wait a minute.......................... it looks oddly familiar now?

I bet it has A/C too right?

The 75 sure does look good wearing swampers now, Dave

Could it be your truck?????? Hmmmmm?????
;)
Dave

Hey Skinny,

I am the guy that was sitting at the other end of the table at Stout Brothers on Monday Night - with the multicoloured tuque on and the brown BJ60. Freakin small world.

If you're looking for a tall and skinny I can get 900R16 michelins for about 100$ a piece. They are XDND take-offs, about 35.5 X 10.5 X 16. They are decent off-road but a swamper might perform better. Sure makes for a cheap set of tires though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom