"FREEDOM" '82 BJ60 w/3B Build Thread For Our Missions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The Jade Bean

Figuring out life still.
SILVER Star
Threads
Hey fellow Mudders, welcome to our first MUD build thread! Building up an expo rig called (Freedom) from a '82 BJ60 w/3B diesel engine and a 5 speed tranny. We are venturing into a new chapter of our lives and we wanted to share it with the MUD community. We have founded and run a Business as Missions company in Copán Ruinas, Honduras and we have been longing to move there and serve as full time missionaries in the field. At any rate it's been a long road and life keeps us from going, so we are selling just about everything to get our butts down there (hopefully within a year)! Wanna see some pics? :D

We currently own (well co-owners with the bank) this (SOLD):

image-1318917491.jpg

We built this to take to HN, but it's oddly one of the things keeping us from going cause the debt owed on it. So sadly it will be going up for sale soon so we can be closer to going.

We also own this '86 Hilux (TRADED):

image-238896905.jpg
Original ad here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/other-vehi...lux-single-cab-long-bed-22re-super-clean.html

So we put it up for sale, but something better happen and we are trading it for this:

image-496084277.jpg
Original ad here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj60-fj62-...-cruiser-bj60-w-5-speed-oregon-6-000-obo.html

And a few pics of what we get to do in HN.

image-1323246472.jpg

image-3100004279.jpg

image-469133911.jpg

image-1214282370.jpg

image-1810722150.jpg

image-2241041760.jpg

image-4196497809.jpg

So we've never done an actual build thread on MUD, only on our company FB page so be patient with me if I stumble around. :)

The goal for this build is to spend as little as possible, yet create a highly capable expo rig to not only be able to travel over several countries but also to get us into the rarely traveled "roads" in the mountains of Central America. We want a lift, bumpers, rack, 34"? tires, plus we need to add A/C and power steering. Lots to do and I'm sure the build list will grow. Your help is welcome, so please chime in!

First things first I've got to trailer the Hilux to Oregon and trailer the BJ60 back. I'm hoping in the next two weeks I can make the trek to go get it.

Forgot to mention I have never owned an actual LC, so we are excited to get in and get dirty. :D Here's my first stupid question: With the exception of the 3B Diesel engine, is everything else interchangeable with a FJ60?

Muchos Gracias and Vaya con Dios MUD!
-Daniel Kent

EDIT: We are currently in DFW for those who are curious. I also thought I should add a build list... :D

1. Front bumper (ARB), winch capable.
2. Rear bumper (side protection, receiver hitch and swing out for spare and ladder), (brand unknown, maybe homemade or 4x4 labs)
3. Full length roof rack (brand unknown, maybe homemade)
4. Sliders with kickout (brand unknown, maybe homemade)
5. Add power steering (what unknown)
6. Add AC (what unknown)
7. Lift 2-3" (brand unknown, maybe OME)
8. Off Road lights (LED bar and spots)

image-1318917491.jpg

image-238896905.jpg

image-496084277.jpg

image-1323246472.jpg

image-3100004279.jpg

image-469133911.jpg

image-1214282370.jpg

image-1810722150.jpg

image-2241041760.jpg

image-4196497809.jpg

Last edited:
welcome to the 60 series partaay! Even if this build is only half as cool as your 4runner's, people will surely pay attention! i know i will.
Good luck
:cheers:

welcome to the 60 series partaay! Even if this build is only half as cool as your 4runner's, people will surely pay attention! i know i will.
Good luck
:cheers:

Thanks! We're excited to get started and searching the 60's section I can already tell it's going to be hard to not get carried away! :D

-Daniel Kent

Thank you Off Duty!

Couple questions...
1. I think the BJ has 15" rims and I'm wondering does anyone see a reason why you can't run 16" rims?...16's should be easier to find everywhere.

2. Looking for leads on A/C and power steering if anyone has a lead.

3. The 3B has dual batteries, but is there anything I need to do to prepare the rig for lights, winch, etc?

4. Any experience on a 4" spring over lift?

5. Do 60's need skids?

6. Any favorite brands for rear bumpers?

7. Anyone have any suggestions on vendors to use for accessories?

Muchos Gracias!!
-Daniel Kent

What you guys are doing for all those families and their children is awesome! Will keep my eyes on this build.

Thank you Wiscolandcruiser, we hope that in the coming years we can do much more!

-Daniel Kent

Thank you Off Duty!

Couple questions...

2. Looking for leads on A/C and power steering if anyone has a lead.

4. Any experience on a 4" spring over lift?

5. Do 60's need skids?

6. Any favorite brands for rear bumpers?

Muchos Gracias!!
-Daniel Kent

Check with coolstream. He's one of the vendors here, and from what I've read here, he's a helluva guy and always willing to lend advise on a/c issues :)
Should be able to help you out.

As for p/s, I believe most around are using the GM Saginaw p/s unit.
Search power steering in the 60 section and you should be able to get some answers.

Bumpers: depends on your needs.
What do you want it to do (besides protect the back of the truck that is-lol)? What do you want to carry/stow back there? Ground clearance, departure angles. All questions to be answered first.

I've seen various designs during my time on MUD.
The 4+ seems to be a favorite around the site, as well as a couple others.
It's possible that what you need my require a custom fabrication. Again a quick search for rear bumpers in this section should render a ton of information.

Skids? Guess that really depends on the terrain. If it's mostly mud/sand, then I would think that the added weight might be both unnecessary and possibly a hindrance in some instances.
OTOH, if you have rocks, ridges and other such obstacles to cross, I would definitely go with some sliders to protect the rockers.

Finally, regarding the 4" SOA.
Do you truly feel that's necessary for your build and the A/O where you will be using the rig?

A SOA lift is going to add significant $$$$ to the build, not to mention a significant rise in the COG of the vehicle which will effect stability.

IIRC, you were talking about 34/35" tires for the build. An alcan or OME lift should take care of the clearance issues, while maintaining safety, stability and ride quality (what there is of it).

If you find that a little more clearance is necessary, maybe a "small" body lift with the OME to give you the added clearance, while still keeping your COG low(er).

staying SUA may also lessen some of the strain on driveline/Front end components, but I'm sure others here have much better information on those issues than I.

Again, check around for posts on 35" tires. There's a ton of information out here on the subject matter.

Just my $.02 FWIW.

OD

Last edited:
Great questions and points!! I'll put my thoughts/answers below each one...

Check with coolstream. He's one of the vendors here, and from what I've read here, he's a helluva guy and always willing to lend advise on a/c issues :)
Should be able to help you out.

• I will check him out for sure! •

As for p/s, I believe most around are using the GM Saginaw p/s unit.
Search power steering in the 60 section and you should be able to get some answers.

• Great, I've looked around a little but defiantly have lots of reading to do! •

Bumpers: depends on your needs.
What do you want it to do (besides protect the back of the truck that is-lol)? What do you want to carry/stow back there? Ground clearance, departure angles. All questions to be answered first.

I've seen various designs during my time on MUD.
The 4+ seems to be a favorite around the site, as well as a couple others.
It's possible that what you need my require a custom fabrication. Again a quick search for rear bumpers in this section should render a ton of information.

• For bumper we would like high clearance, tow hitch (yes I know it's not the best tow rig :D), some side protection, rear swing out for full size spare and ladder to get to the roof rack. •

Skids? Guess that really depends on the terrain. If it's mostly mud/sand, then I would think that the added weight might be both unnecessary and possibly a hindrance in some instances.
OTOH, if you have rocks, ridges and other such obstacles to cross, I would definitely go with some sliders to protect the rockers.

• Very little sand and mud, but LOTS of rocks and boulders for sure! Although I'd like to keep the weight down so sliders a must and protection for the most vulnerable areas. •

Finally, regarding the 4" SOA.
Do you truly feel that's necessary for your build and the A/O where you will be using the rig?

A SOA lift is going to add significant $$$$ to the build, not to mention a significant rise in the COG of the vehicle which will effect stability.

IIRC, you were talking about 34/35" tires for the build. An alcan or OME lift should take care of the clearance issues, while maintaining safety, stability and ride quality (what there is of it).

If you find that a little more clearance is necessary, maybe a "small" body lift with the OME to give you the added clearance, while still keeping your COG low(er).

staying SUA may also lessen some of the strain on driveline/Front end components, but I'm sure others here have much better information on those issues than I.

• As for lift I'm just wanting to not bottom out all the time although I'm sure that's not an issue with a LC. I'd like the highest we can get without having to extend everything and I'm thinking 4" cause 3" didn't seem to be enough on our T4R. •

Again, check around for posts on 35" tires. There's a ton of information out here on the subject matter.

• Tires 34" should be plenty as I don't really want to re-gear if I don't have to. •

Thank you Off Duty and MUD!
-Daniel Kent

Last edited:
What gears are you presently running?
If you move to anything over a 33" tire, you're likely going to need to re-gear anyway.

I'm at 33's on an OME Dakar on my FJ62, and while it's fine for my uses, anything serious might need a little steeper gear.
If I went any taller on the tire, it'd be a definite!

Regardless, with an ALCAN or OME, and possibly a very short BL, you shouldn't have any problems. Remember, the lowest part of the vehicle is going to be the Diffs. More tire=higher ground clearance in the center. A 4" lift is going to get the body and frame up, and provide more clearance for the larger tires, without sacrificing drivability, safety and reliability.

As for the bumper and skids, yes, from the description of your A/O, skids are definitely going to be a requirement. :D
Again, check around the site for recommendations. You'll find several.
Same with the bumper.:cheers:

What gears are you presently running?
If you move to anything over a 33" tire, you're likely going to need to re-gear anyway.

I'm at 33's on an OME Dakar on my FJ62, and while it's fine for my uses, anything serious might need a little steeper gear.
If I went any taller on the tire, it'd be a definite!

Regardless, with an ALCAN or OME, and possibly a very short BL, you shouldn't have any problems. Remember, the lowest part of the vehicle is going to be the Diffs. More tire=higher ground clearance in the center. A 4" lift is going to get the body and frame up, and provide more clearance for the larger tires, without sacrificing drivability, safety and reliability.

• Well I guess I'll add re-gearing to the list then. As for what's currently on it, I have no idea and I'm assuming it has stock gears.

As for the bumper and skids, yes, from the description of your A/O, skids are definitely going to be a requirement. :D
Again, check around the site for recommendations. You'll find several.
Same with the bumper.:cheers:

• Cool I'll keep looking. Here's a pics of some of the terrain we would encounter regularly.

image-4239352468.jpg

image-186636076.jpg

image-809233588.jpg

image-509089730.jpg

image-4082191703.jpg

image-1475658173.jpg

image-4015014855.jpg

I couldn't find the more hardcore roads, must be on the camera still. :) At any rate we'd like to be prepared for a variety of situations.

-Daniel Kent

image-4239352468.jpg

image-186636076.jpg

image-809233588.jpg

image-509089730.jpg

image-4082191703.jpg

image-1475658173.jpg

image-4015014855.jpg

Where are you located now? If you're in SoCal I wouldn't mind lending a hand to your ministry for maintenance.

Where are you located now? If you're in SoCal I wouldn't mind lending a hand to your ministry for maintenance.

That's very generous of you! Sadly we are no where near you, we're in DFW, TX. (Keller) specifically. :(

Thank you for the offer!
-Daniel Kent

Based on a couple of those pics, you're definitely going to need a "Bull Bar":lol:

That's awesome country, and you guys are doing a great thing.
Really warms the heart to see people being so selfless in this day and age:cheers:

Is your company a registered non-profit?

Finally, how is the political/criminal environment over there?
Any real dangers doing what you do, or are the pretty receptive?
Just curious?

I know Cuba "allows" our mission trips, but don't go out and "flaunt it" if you know what I mean.

OD

Based on a couple of those pics, you're definitely going to need a "Bull Bar":lol:

• LOL :D

That's awesome country, and you guys are doing a great thing.
Really warms the heart to see people being so selfless in this day and age:cheers:

• It's hard, but rewarding.

Is your company a registered non-profit?

• We are an LLC company, but we are also partnered with a church that extends their 501c3 non-profit status to us so we can offer tax deductions on donations and what not. Our goal is to also register as a non-profit org too, but it's expensive ironically.

Finally, how is the political/criminal environment over there?
Any real dangers doing what you do, or are the pretty receptive?
Just curious?

• Dangerous... Well Dallas in Texas is dangerous :D, we usually tell people you learn what's good and not good to do life with that knowledge. We do carry firearms at times and if we have a large group, we will high security to air on the safe side. We own 16acres in the mountains for our coffee (which will in about 5 years help fund the mission work)... I shouldn't finish that story, could get me in trouble.
Crime there for the most part is fueled by poverty, jobs go down and your family is starving you might turn to crime. Sadly once bitten by this bug you may not stop.

Missionaries are greatly accepted and deeply appreciated by the vast majority of the people and country. In fact you are likely to be favored for being a missionary. Politically is just as corrupt as the US and they play the same games as here too but there they don't lie about it, it's done in plain sight.

I know Cuba "allows" our mission trips, but don't go out and "flaunt it" if you know what I mean.

OD

I hear that.

-Daniel Kent

It's hard, but rewarding.
I understand that feeling:cheers:

We are an LLC company, but we are also partnered with a church that extends their 501c3 non-profit status to us so we can offer tax deductions on donations and what not. Our goal is to also register as a non-profit org too, but it's expensive ironically.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know.:cheers:

...We do carry firearms at times and if we have a large group, we will high security to air on the safe side.

That was kind of my question, in a round about way.
What are the firearms laws down there?

Parts of Mexico are quickly becoming a festering craphole, and you don't want to be caught with a firearm there.:eek:

In Suriname, where I was last year, with the "right" political influence, you can get a CCW:D

We own 16acres in the mountains for our coffee (which will in about 5 years help fund the mission work)... I shouldn't finish that story, could get me in trouble.

Then don't.
Just stay under the radar brother.

Crime there for the most part is fueled by poverty, jobs go down and your family is starving you might turn to crime. Sadly once bitten by this bug you may not stop.

Same in most third world countries.
The cartels use this in certain parts of the world, as leverage. Scare off the tourist, and you turn to crime to survive:frown:.

Missionaries are greatly accepted and deeply appreciated by the vast majority of the people and country. In fact you are likely to be favored for being a missionary.

That's very refreshing to hear:cool:

Politically is just as corrupt as the US and they play the same games as here too but there they don't lie about it, it's done in plain sight.

:lol::lol:
I've seen this in other countries, and I can handle that.
As we used to say, don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining!
I don't mind so much the corruption, just don't lie to me about it.

Heck, let me know who the players are and how much, and I'll learn to play the game if I need to:D

Stay safe down there.

OD

That was kind of my question, in a round about way.
What are the firearms laws down there?

Parts of Mexico are quickly becoming a festering craphole, and you don't want to be caught with a firearm there.:eek:

In Suriname, where I was last year, with the "right" political influence, you can get a CCW:D
OD

• Well it really depends on the political temp, last year it was ok the carry a Scar and now it's hard to bring a BB gun. Lol. They are currently changing the laws on firearms and trying to create a national registry for the firearms. We can carry but it's just a lot of work. Shake $$$ the right hand and you can do just about whatever you want.

Same in most third world countries.
The cartels use this in certain parts of the world, as leverage. Scare off the tourist, and you turn to crime to survive:frown:. OD

• Actually the narcos do the most good for the people and they appreciate the missionaries the most. Tourism is very important to the country and they do a lot to protect it.

:lol::lol:
I've seen this in other countries, and I can handle that.
As we used to say, don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining!
I don't mind so much the corruption, just don't lie to me about it.

Heck, let me know who the players are and how much, and I'll learn to play the game if I need to:D
OD

LOL!

To get partially back on topic so they don't move my build thread to chat... :D

We have a Police shot gun holder from a cruiser that I might install in the BJ to hold our shot guns down there.

For security we will also tint the windows limo all the way around with just a small un-tinted strip on the front window. Security is mostly about showing your not playing games.

Here's a few pics:

image-139418713.jpg

image-1954337019.jpg

image-1186205826.jpg

image-1293373646.jpg

Last political election, nice cruiser, chilling while they wash our truck, having some fun in a tree swing. :D

-Daniel Kent

image-139418713.jpg

image-1954337019.jpg

image-1186205826.jpg

image-1293373646.jpg

Last edited:
In route to trade out for our LC!

image-1372393975.jpg

image-328274746.jpg

-Daniel Kent

image-1372393975.jpg

image-328274746.jpg

Welcome aboard sir, very good things you're doing there!
Another rootbeer colored 60 in our midst! Paging Trapper...

Doesnt look like a SOA is nessesary for that terrain. While many on here may push the idea that a SOA is great (and it may be for rock crawling, etc) a tried and true suspension system professionally designed around the vehicle (OME, Ironman, etc) can save you alot of time, $$$, and frustration.

Heck I bet stock leafs with an AAL, and 33's would take you most places your mini or 4runner would go. It has been said many times, these Landcruisers are truely tanks.. people don't realize how capable they are in stock form.

Good luck in your endevours!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom