Longer Wheel studs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ntsqd

technerd
Threads
Is there a source for longer wheel studs? My LAPS has replacements, but they are 2-3 threads shorter than my OE sample.
With the wheels that I'm using the lug nut barely has one diameter of thread engagement. I'd like at least 1.5 diameters and a starter shoulder would be a nice feature too!

wow - those are the only options?

I am trying to run some new rims and looks like i will need 3/8 or 1/2 spacers up front. I would like to put new longer studs in and keep the stock nuts if possible.

the moroso ones (summit MOR-46220) look promising, but then i'd have different nuts front and back right?

rob

Would anyone be interested if I had some made?

I'm in the process of getting a quote from ARP on studs that are functionally identical to stock except that they have 1/2" longer threads and have a nut starting shoulder on them. The preliminary guesstimate puts them out of my league, but they're working up an ideal quantity for the cost.

If they're reasonable, then I'll take 6. Happen to know if the front axle wheel studs are identical to the FF rear wheel studs?

Would anyone be interested if I had some made?

I'm in the process of getting a quote from ARP on studs that are functionally identical to stock except that they have 1/2" longer threads and have a nut starting shoulder on them. The preliminary guesstimate puts them out of my league, but they're working up an ideal quantity for the cost.

I'm seriously interested in 12, but would need at least price range to commit. thanks for looking into this!

rob

If they're reasonable, then I'll take 6. Happen to know if the front axle wheel studs are identical to the FF rear wheel studs?
Speculation is that they would be the same for a rear disc conversion if you use a 60 or Mini front rotor. I've no idea with rear drums.

I don't know what reasonable is, but I do expect them to be more than what you can buy at the LAPS. They are ARP quality after all, they'll likely be the last set you'd ever need to buy. A qwik and not at all all-encompassing scan of Summit shows studs ranging from $2.50 each to ~$10 each. I'm really hoping that we'll come in about the high end of the middle of that range.

Happen to know if the front axle wheel studs are identical to the FF rear wheel studs?

Part # for front studs is 90942-02053
Part # for Rear FF & SF studs is 90942-02052

Part # for front studs is 90942-02053
Part # for Rear FF & SF studs is 90942-02052

The question though is the length. If the rear studs are just a hair longer, then these studs might just work. Know where I could look the dimensions up?

The question though is the length. If the rear studs are just a hair longer, then these studs might just work. Know where I could look the dimensions up?

I don't think it's just the length, I think it's also the shoulder on the different studs... I'm sittin' here looking at some new front ones, with a 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" shoulder. The rears, I believe have about a 1/2 shoulder. At least from the pix at rockauto.com

If someone can measure the rear, I can measure the front, in mm.

But that doesn't mean front style won't work in the rear?

I don't think it's just the length, I think it's also the shoulder on the different studs... I'm sittin' here looking at some new front ones, with a 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" shoulder. The rears, I believe have about a 1/2 shoulder. At least from the pix at rockauto.com

If someone can measure the rear, I can measure the front, in mm.

But that doesn't mean front style won't work in the rear?

I bet that if there is that much of a difference, the fronts won't work in the rear. You wouldn't be able to thread the lugnuts all the way down. On a FF though, the studs are pressed through the hub and drum, so they've got to be longer than 1/2", right? I can check when I get home on my FF hubs.

On the Live Axle Mini's starting '83-ish they are the same as the 60 front studs. Earlier Mini's are apparently like the 40's where the stud only presses through the wheel hub flange and not the rotor too. It the going first through the rotor, and then the wheel hub flange that makes for such a long shoulder, and for the odd location of the knurling.

I just came back from the NAPA local to work and they do not have anything that is a match other than a stock replacement part. Sadly, their actual sample part was the same mfg as those that my local Carquest has as well. They're about 2 full threads shorter than the OE stud.

Attached is a pdf drawing that I made of the front stud for the ARP quote.

Last edited:
When we were rebuilding a 78 40 axle, we were running into a problem where some previous owner had replaced a hub with the later hub design on one side, but kept the earlier hub design on the opposite side. Really threw us for a loop when we checked an 81 40 and realized that the hub changed around 78. Learn something new every day I guess.

Ntsqd, the drawing looks great. I'll go check my FF studs to see if the ones you've spec'ed out will work there as well.

Argh! I can see that sort of thing making me running circles!

Note that the dwg is the stock stud, not a lengthened one.

Note that the dwg is the stock stud, not a lengthened one.

Didn't realize that, but I don't know the stock stud length offhand. I did think it wasn't too much longer, if at all, but at least most of the work is done.

By the way, in the PDF you should put your name in the disclaimer in the bottom left as opposed to leaving it "<insert name here>".

Sheesh! Everybody's a critic! :)
I made that dwg fast and didn't have time to work through the title block. It was mostly intended for ARP's ref to see if they had something like it already, but then I got to thinking that it might be handy for others to have.

Just had a look and it looks like once SW 'prints' it as a pdf it's not editable. At least not with the software here.

I got longer studs for my mini from napa, they have a book that has actual size pics of all the studs with all the measurements. The knurl on the studs i got is a little bit bitter aka a couple hundreths but they pressed in fine. It took about 10 minutes with the book to figure out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom