The Chevota gets a makeover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The Chevota gets a makeover, FJ62 build up

Well... The 700R4 decided to go out, and since I don't know how to fix one of those I decided to crossover to the manual trans world!!!
I am excited I sure miss a manual. And while I, uh... I mean WE are at it some other stuff too :)

I say we because, well I don't know about you, but I always end up recruiting friends to help me out. When all said and done from cleaning parts to welding 20 hands or so will have touched the thing in the process.

SO......since I sold some things to pay for the project
Here is the plan:

Install an SM465 tranny with an NP205 transfer case
To solve the center diff issue We will do the minitruck Landcruiser hybrid axle and add disc brakes. I picked up some LC axles with 3.70 gears for good highway performance.

Spring Over conversion with shackle reversal. We will be putting the shackle hangers through the frame on both the front and the rear.

We will cut and turn the knuckles on the front axle

Since the FJ62 never had a manual we will be putting all that in too.

We will also be rerouting some of the brake and gas lines to move them away from the headers. They get a little hot.

If there is enough $$$ left over ARB air lockers. We shall see...

I will be posting some pics up in a few minutes. I, oops WE already started on the tear down.

Last edited:
Pics!!!

Cut off spring mounts in front, and shackle hangers

pict3030pz6.jpg
my.php

pict3031jm3.jpg
my.php

Last edited:
a couple more

Auto is out and the SM465 is getting ready to go in!!

pict3032va7.jpg

just the rear end waiting to get worked on and the axles sitting in the background

pict3034tt5.jpg

I'm guessing you're not running 31s (because of the SOA). Stay with the 4.11s that came on the 62 if you're running 33s, & go to 4.56s if you are running 35s.

The SM465 has an overdrive 5th IIRC just as your 700R4 has an overdrive 4th.

My 4.11s & 33s turn 2,200 rpm @ 75 mph in 4th with the 4L60E (same tranny as 700R4 only computer-controlled). That's plenty high gearing. Thought about 4.56s before the gas prices jumped, but low in the tranny is really low enough for crawling.

You've got your work cut out for you, should be a great combo once done. Keep us updated with pics if you can.

Cool man. Let us know if and when you need some help. I've been known to drink beer and watch guys sling wrenches from time to time.

I've got my wagon torn down too, but nothing near as interesting as you. :cheers:

The SM465 has an overdrive 5th IIRC just as your 700R4 has an overdrive 4th.

As far as I know the SM465 is and always has been a 4 speed with no overdrive. I got this info off Novak conversions.

1st gear 6.55
2nd gear 3.58
3rd gear 1.57
4th gear 1.00

Of course they make overdrive kits for it but they are not that cheap.

I will most likely be going with 35" tires.

here is what i have on my final crawl with the set up unless I am wrong.

6.55 (1st gear) x 1.96 (NP205 low range) x 3.70 (diff gearing) = 47.5 to 1 final crawl. not to bad, It's definitely better than what I was running.

With the 3.70's in the diff it will be good for the highway!

I could be wrong on all this, but I sure hope not. I already have all the parts!

I thought you had cable lockers on your rig. If so, does this mean you are selling your Cable Lockers? If the answer is yes, Please PM me and let me know.

Dynosoar

x2, give me a call whenever you need help.. Mark can hand us beers and take photos! lol

Solid plan man, cant wait to see it come together! If you cant do the ARB's Put it a set of aussie lockers and twin stick that 205.. Not too good for the snow, but fine for the trail!

so I rerouted the brake lines last night, and I plan on working on it a lot this weekend.

going to fill the tank today and get some steel! hoping to get a lot done! I will be posting pics as I go.

Slowly, but eventually

Spent most of yesterday getting parts. And cutting stuff off takes way to long.

cut tranny crossmember off and finished rerouting lines. Got all that stuff out of the way so I have plenty of room for wherever I am gin to put the new crossmember. as you can see the tranny is in, but it sets way far forward. hmmm. I will have to modify the shifter.

pict3049me4.jpg

Got some welding done last night and today. they are not that pretty, but I think I am getting better. As long as they hold right.

pict3047ds7.jpg

one more pic

other side spring hanger!

pict3045eq2.jpg

I know everything is still kinda dirty. I only cleaned the areas I welded. I figure I am just gonna get it dirty again as soon as it is done anyway.

just ordered some parts tonight.

Trail Gear high steer arms
14" shock hoops
knuckle rebuild kit.

I got the NP205 in. I'll post up pics in a little bit.

I am trying to figure out how the transmission mounts work. It is from a 78 blazer anyone got any pics on that?

making progress

Well, we made some progress this weekend.

NP205 is in

pict3054bt0.jpg

the front shackle reversal is pretty much done,
cut off shock mounts. waiting for shock hoops from trailgear.
started the prep work on the front axle.

pict3050kw4.jpg

pict3052lg6.jpg

pict3053jf9.jpg

boxed in a portion of the rear frame for the new shcakle hanger position. finished one side.

pict3055vo0.jpg

pict3051vr2.jpg

Well that may be it for a little while. I will be in New Orleans all week. I may not get to anything for two weeks:doh:oh well.

before picture

Thanks man!

I was thinking I should post a before picture. This is a most recent shot I have. We shall see what it looks like after :D

pict1470hn4.jpg

made a little more progress

so here is my shifter problem. I might need to do with out heater. hopefully I can modify the shifter so it fits nice and snug.

pict3102gr0.jpg

grinded off all the excess stuff of the front axle. I left small amounts of the lower spring perches to keep the U- bolts from sliding around. not sure if you can tell from the pics. I was so excited to get it under the spring I just kinda mocked it up.

pict3097oa2.jpg

other side

pict3101ip3.jpg

got in the shock hoops and high steer stuff. those steer arms are legit!!!

pict3098qd1.jpg

I know my garage is messy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom