Tootsie Roll + vortec begins! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, after moving ALL of my tools/etc. to my sister's house this morning, I finally started to tear into the tootsie roll.

Only got as far as getting the hood and grill off; battery, cruise control, MSD, and some other crap out before I had to head to work (working nights now), but it's a start!!!

hopefully I'll have the 2F out this week, and I can start fabbing motor mounts/etc.

I'm keeping an excel spreadsheet on costs, and will post that up when she's all done.
to be included ni the swap- Marks adapter to keep my H-55, damplifier under carpet and in doors, possibly 411s and an ARB for the rear, and probably some other crap I'm forgetting...

some pics below of before, stuff off, and the 32k mi. 5.7 from a wrecked taho-ho.

oh, and 2F wil be cheap or free for local pickup, and I'll post the carb up in the for sale section this week (factory new, not rebuilt from TLC in late 05).

cheers, and wish me luck!:beer: :beer: :beer:

before1.jpg

before3.jpg

hoodgrilloff.jpg

vortec.jpg

Good Luck and keep us posted. How much was the engine? The wife just got an 04 Suburban with 35K miles on it and I love that engine - 5.3 I think.

Hey Philos,

Glad to see you got started. Let me know if you need someone to open the beer or cheer you on. I call dibs on the engine. Let me know I will be around this weekend.

Dynosoar

P.S. Manuchao wants to do a swap soon too. I am sure you will hear from him soon.

Hey Philos,

Glad to see you got started. Let me know if you need someone to open the beer or cheer you on. I call dibs on the engine. Let me know I will be around this weekend.

Dynosoar

P.S, Manuchao wans to do a swap soon too. I am sure you will hear from him soon.

Already heard from Manuchao, and the 2F is yours, call me and you can come get it this weekend if you like.

Good Luck and keep us posted. How much was the engine? The wife just got an 04 Suburban with 35K miles on it and I love that engine - 5.3 I think.

thanks!

motor with a bunch of other crap and ecu was $1800 after tax/delivery and it's guranteed from the junkyard where I got it- a little high, but the miles are super low and it's got the warrantee, so...

got the doghouse off today and some of the exhaust unbolted as well as all the emissions crap and some other stuff keeping me from getting the 2F out... Hopefully there's no rain tomorrow, and I can get that thing out. which leads to my next question- should I take out the whole motor/tranny/Tcase assembly out? or leave the tranny/Tcase in? I already have the H-55 in there now, and am unsure as to whether or not I'll need to remove the other stuff to get the Vortec in... any insight here? (I'd rather leave the tranny/Tcase in if it matters).:confused: :confused: :confused:
sorry, only one pic- but there should be more tomorrow:)

again, thanks evryone for the good words, etc...
doghouseoff2.jpg

Right on! Keep up w/ the pics!

Pull the engine trans/tranfer as a whole.

It makes it easier to position the new engine.

Dynosoar :zilla:

my dad has that same motor in his tahoe, and i looooove it, plus it sounds good wth flows...

on another brief note, i love threads like this, because they give me a view into the mysteries of my land cruiser that i havent discovered on my own yet, without all the busted knuckles... kinda cool

good job

also, how do you do a smog legal v8 swap in cali?

looks like an eclipse???

I vote pull it all out together...tranny and t-case and motor....so working night wrenching days...oh that sounds like my life :beer: :beer:

Smogging a v8 swap requires a newer motor than what was in the truck, truck motor in truck and car motor in a car...all smog stuff that came on the new motor and the list goes on....

so back on topic after my thread jack...

i would pull it all together that way its easier to get it all back in place and dont have to fight lining it up to the bell housing... i mean why not? you allready have the whole front of the truck off....

1.car under the cover? don't know, haven't looked yet- wrecked something or other my sister's boyfriend picked up.
2.to keep it smog legal, what calfj60 said.
3.calfj60, yep-wrenching days, working nights (reality TV).
4.I guess I'll pull the whole assembly this week then.
5.thanks again for all the encouragement!

Yes keep it up, I want to see how this turns out.

Does the vortec 350 you have.....have the A/C compressor sitting low on the passenger side of the engine? IF so is there an issue with this and clearing the frame rail?

maybe I missed it, but are you going to run one of Mark's adapters to mate the engine with the toyta trans?

I'm researching something similar, but I may run a TBI 350 or an old school GM crate 350... still looking around.

cal- no, you probably don't wanna know:)
kline- thanks!
elbert-IIRC the AC sits high, but I'm not positive (i'll check tomorrow), Marks kit minus motor mounts should hopefully be here soon, then I'll be able to mock-up and check clearances.

as to progress: got the motor/trans/Tcase assembly out today, and I'll be cutting old motor mounts off and cleaning up in prep for the mock-up and motor mount fab.

left the camera at home, so you'll have to wait for pics until tomorrow sometime.

cheers, and thanks again for the kind words- it feels good to have some moral support when tearing your DD apart.

Oh yeah, Dynosaur- you still coming to get the 2F this weekend?

here's pics from yesterday as promised...

today, I got the motor mounts cut off and grounded down to frame, I then spent a couple hours cleaning the engine bay with soapy water- that fawker is still not clean! but it's getting better.

I also broke an impact socket getting my power steering box off! granted it's a harbor freight socket, but still.

looks like the rubber motor mount on the driver's side must have been broken for a while huh? pretty cool how s*** can break, and these things just keep on going!

Manuchao also came by and hung out for moral support (thanks! I promise, I'll let ya wrench on it next time!):D :D :D

anyways, pics below:beer:

motorout.jpg

2Fonblocks.jpg

brokenmount2.jpg

didn't really do anything except run erraands today, but here's some pics of the frame after the motor mounts got cut off and ground.

Marks kit is finally on its way, and I also ordered 100 square feet of Damplifier for the floors, quarters, and doors.

Does anyone know which flexplate I should get-IE: can I get one from any late model 5.7, or is there a specific one for GenII vortecs??? That is aside from the obvious two different sizes (153 vs 168 teeth)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom