1961 FJ40 Purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If all goes as planned I will be buying this 61 FJ40 tomorrow morning. Owner says it was an AZ rig, no rust and clean straight panels. 2F, 3speed on the floor. Obviously someone has done some work to this based on the aftermarket gauges. Does anyone know this rig or who owned it before? I have two other LC guys going with me to look at it but anything I should be aware of or keep in mind. If not, just enjoy a few, what looks to be a very clean rust free, 40 pictures.
photo.jpg
photo2.jpg
photo3.jpg
photo4.jpg

Last edited:
Please post the VIN. It would be nice to add it to the registry if it is a previously "unknown" 1961.

The lack of rust may have as much to do with the composition of the early sheet metal as it does with it being from AZ.

As far as what to keep in mind, just be aware that with all the heavy modifications there is very little signature left to mark that cruiser a 1961. At least the early bezel is still there, and the running boards, but other than that . . . ?

Nothing "wrong" with that, of course. But to use a hackneyed phrase, just be aware that "it is what is." A highly modified rig. And if that is what you want, then great!

Have asked for VIN so I can note it on my INS before I drive it home. I didn't figure much was still a "61" but I'm just looking for a rust free 40 to drive, it just happened to be a very early "61" that came on my radar locally.

i do not recall the truck per say... but the top was for sale ... corner windows not stock (PO mod)... if its the top i'm thinking the rear bi-fold doors also have two windows instead of just the one stock upper window... i believe it was on mud

the rear drivers corner of tub is not right

I'd be leary, that tub looks like its had a lot of "custom" work. Look at where the rear quarters meet the rear sill they have been trimmed at a minimum. Also the two rear doors have been welded together to make a ghetto imitation of a FST tailgate, but they completely lack the proper latches to close the tailgate. It looks like it uses a tab on the passenger rear quarter to to hold the tailgate in place. The front fenders have been trimmed as well.......... there is a lot here that says "walk away" to me.

*edit*
the whole tub isn't original looks to be from a 65-67 FJ40 with the ashtray in the dash and the air intake for the heater on the passenger are the giveaways. Top isn't right for a '61..... This thing looks like a real hodgepodge of parts. Take a look at the body lines of the front aprons and hood, looks like the are way out of alignment :doh:

Last edited:
Just beware you are not buying a 1961, but a bunch of years combined as noted above, but most are a mix of years after over 50 years of being around. Not sure what they price is, but overall not a bad rig, most or the important 1961 parts are there, the bib, bezel looks like it was land cruiser, the vented windshield frame, do not see the cover for it. If the price is right, looks a like a solid fun rig.

For conversations sake let's say $5,000 is purchase price. I'm not really interested in a survivor just a 40 in general to drive around and play with. I did notice the hood did not line up, and I believe JohnnyC you are right about the 2 windows on the back, he has the doors and windows for the hatch. It comes with another top and hood I believe, along with some other parts maybe heater and brakes etc. A local buddy has a 4 speed for me.

Last edited:
JP i would say 66-67 for the tub ... as you pointed out (good catch) the screw on vent... 65-(some time in) 66 the vent would have been slanted... this one is the straight style... unless it was a part from laying around :)

earlyer running boards

I agree look at the hood alignment in pic #1 ... thats very wonky

For that price I would really look over that body. It makes me wonder what happened to the original tub, there has to be a pretty big reason to replace the whole tub. Especially with the front end not lining up with the rear tub. Makes me think it was possibly wrecked at some point and then rebuilt with parts someone had laying around.

JP i would say 66-67 for the tub ... as you pointed out (good catch) the screw on vent... 65-(some time in) 66 the vent would have been slanted... this one is the straight style... unless it was a part from laying around :)

earlyer running boards

I agree look at the hood alignment in pic #1 ... thats very wonky

You are right vent slat orientation would indicate 66-67, good eye:beer:

The guy in IN that I am buying it from I'm sure bought it this way 2 years ago from AZ. He is a retiring corporate pilot for Andretti Autosport and I'm sure doesn’t really know what he has. I'm also going to be able to put it on a lift and check out the frame etc.

To nitpick, another observation is that the straight "ribs" on the floor of the rear cargo area do look consistent with a '61, but as JP has noted, other aspects of the tub are indicative of later years. Definitely a "hodgepodge" to be sure.

But you already know that. So the bottom line, again, is if that's what you want then . . . ?

The thing that kills me is knowing how many hard-to-find oem parts were probably trashed throughout the years to end up with this monstrosity. Arrrgh!

If the price is right, looks a like a solid fun rig.

This.

For conversations sake let's say $5,000 is purchase price. I'm not really interested in a survivor just a 40 in general to drive around and play with. I did notice the hood did not line up, and I believe JohnnyC you are right about the 2 windows on the back, he has the doors and windows for the hatch. It comes with another top and hood I believe, along with some other parts maybe heater and brakes etc. A local buddy has a 4 speed for me.

Seems all right for a price a little less than that. If you're going to want disc brakes and/or a different motor, it's pricey. Extra parts can offset the purchase price and give you some options. The bezel, if truly original is worth at least $500 on ebay and if you're not restoring you could let it go to pay for other parts.

To add to the list of Frankenstein parts, the fenders look like aftermarket. Neither a '61 nor a '66/67 would have come with a brake booster. Hope it was also converted to a dual-circuit master. If it's so cobbled to have a boosted single-circuit brake system, I might pass.

It might have disk brakes, it has a bake booster and dual circuit master a good thing and not stock for early 60's. So maybe the axles have already been replaced with newer ones, discs up front would be a big bonus.

It appears to have a compressor mounted on the firewall.

Tub is a bit hacked up... Not stock or rust free original.
Front axle would be Ball and Claw. Converting to discs would likely mean a new front axle.
Finding doors might be a challenge.

If the frame is solid, and you're happy with what you're buying, it just comes down to getting it for a fair price. Too much is missing/modified/odd to be worth more than $5000. I'd want it for less, and I'd use all the "wrong" things to negotiate a better price. If he's got doors, a hatch, and it runs and drives well it'd be more interesting. If it's a rusty truck that's been repaired poorly, then I'd run.

We've had a similar truck in this area that's complete, but needs body work, that isn't selling for $1250... Not sure the body is worth $3000 more. $5000 is expensive for a project... and a can of worms... If that's what it is.

Seats are also not stock... Or Landcruiser for that matter.

This thing's a driver. I'ts got a '61 title and that's it. It's a cool ride. Be prepared to get the price closer to $3,500 since it's all over the FJ40 parts catalog. If it were all original it would be a $10k+ truck. '61s are that rare (not really sought after either, ugh) Awful bench seat, f engine, nah. Make sure at least one vin tag matches, get it for $3500-4k and you've got a great starter trail & DD.

I'll go with you to look at it, just give me a call or text. I'll show up in my '78. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom