How to mount drum brake wheels on a disk brake axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GRM

Finding new adventures in old jalopies.
Threads
I'm determined to find out how to mount drum brake wheels on a disk brake axle. I have the orignal 1971 wheels for my '40 (which look brand new...not shown) and I'd like to keep them.

My quick investigation found that the wheel hits the brake caliper by about .75" (see pics). It seems they hit a lip on the wheel, not the wheel rivets. This leads me to believe I have two options:

1) add 1+" wheel spacers
2) move the rotor caliper back.

I have one idea. That is to use the Sky Manufacturing IFS caliper/FJ60 rotor kit with IFS mini truck hubs. This kit seems to move the rotor/caliper back by some amount. It also increases my front track width by 2.75":
see: Toyota Wide Axle Kit - Sky's Off-road Design

Has someone tried this setup? Has someone found another way that works?

Sky Kit:
127_1184529300.jpg

Stock:

127_1184529288.jpg

IMG_20100816_213003small.jpg
IMG_20100816_213039small.jpg

Last edited:
This kit seems to move the rotor/caliper back by some amount.

It moves the wheel mounting surface away/outboard from the caliper. The caliper attaches to the knuckle in the same location; it cannot move.

:meh:

Purchase some wheel spacers and call it good.

It moves the wheel mounting surface away/outboard from the caliper. The caliper attaches to the knuckle in the same location; it cannot move.

:meh:

Purchase some wheel spacers and call it good.

Sorry what I meant was that it moves the wheel mounting surface away in relation to the caliper.

Yes. My only hesitation to wheel spacers is that I have had issues with the left front spacer coming loose (problem on my old 4runner), and have also seen the wheel studs sheet off.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that your 71 has disc brakes? Do you think 1/4" spacers will allow me to run pre-disc brake wheels on my '77?

I'm swapping disks onto my '71. The pictures you see are the drum brake wheel mocked up on my '86 mini (fj60 hubs/rotors with 92 4runner calipers).

I'm intending to run run the same setup on my '71, or go to Tacoma brakes.

Has anyone tried drum brake wheels with the Tacoma big brake kit? I'm assuming it would be worse.

Looking at the backs of both wheels it really looks like the rivets are the only difference. I haven't done it for awhile though I've got one drum brake wheel in my yard. I could take some pics. I've always thought that 1/4" spacers would do it.

Last edited:
Wasn't it just like last week that you said you were gonna stay with drum brakes?:confused:

I'm not sure about this next statment:confused: But isn't it not good to put rivited steel wheels on disc brakes........... I thought there was a safety issue with this???????????????

Wasn't it just like last week that you said you were gonna stay with drum brakes?:confused:

Ryan said he was going to stay with drums on his '71. I was on the fence. The new drive train purchase pushed me over the fence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom