I got tired of the mold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Growing on the cruiser so I'm painting it.

DSC09603.JPG

My buddies rag me about the paint. Says it looks like I need to mow the grass or get some clorox out. I've never really cared for a nice paint job as I'm just going to ruin it out on the tight trails around here. But as a joke last year I painted my 2f in some crazy Duplicolor paint. Well I sent a few photos to Duplicolor letting them know how well it turned out. They in turned asked me what else I had planned on doing to the vehicle as far as paint. I told them I would like to paint it someday but funds were low. So low and behold 3 days later I have a huge box on my front door step. With all this in there. Enougth to paint the whole thing inside and out as well as bedliner.

DSC00942.JPG

So the color is Hugger Orange. I'm trying to keep it orange as I like the color.

Nothing fancy. Sand the body down, put all the small parts in the bead blaster. Take all the gauges and windows out of the cruiser and paint it as much apart as possible.

Going 3 coats primer, 3 coats color, 3-6 coats clear. The paint is sprayed straight out of the can. No mixing no nothing. I'm not looking for a show finish but something that looks better than what I have and something easily fixed. Which involved driving down to the store and buying the 10 dollar can right off the shelf. I did a test run last night with my touchup gun just to see how it would look. Primer went on nice with no runs. 10 min between coats. The paint with 10 min between coats then waited about 15 min before the clear went on. All worked well and the piece was able to be touched in about 30 min. Cleanup is real easy. Overall I'm impressed. I might even put 3 additional coats of clear on everything and wet sand it with 1500. Who knows.

New and old

DSC09602.JPG

DSC09604.JPG

DSC09601.JPG

My plan it to paint everything I can. I have 2 quarts of rust bullets I plan on using for area that like to rust before I put primer on.

Should be fun. I'm gonna need new media and a foot pedal for the blast cabinet. Any suggestions? Currently using Al Ox.

Last edited:
That's cool.

I'm gonna need new media and a foot pedal for the blast cabinet. Any suggestions? Currently using Al Ox.

Skat Magic from TP Tools. It seems to do everything well, without being too rough, yet will take off powder coating without a problem. Best of both worlds, if you ask me. Don't know exactly what's in it, but I like it a lot.

Dan

sweet! good to hear a positive on duplicolor:clap:

Looks good man...can't wait to see it all shined up!

I did it one piece at a time. (Like Jonny Cash)

Growing on the cruiser so I'm painting it.

DSC09603.JPG

My buddies rag me about the paint. Says it looks like I need to mow the grass or get some clorox out. I've never really cared for a nice paint job as I'm just going to ruin it out on the tight trails around here. But as a joke last year I painted my 2f in some crazy Duplicolor paint. Well I sent a few photos to Duplicolor letting them know how well it turned out. They in turned asked me what else I had planned on doing to the vehicle as far as paint. I told them I would like to paint it someday but funds were low. So low and behold 3 days later I have a huge box on my front door step. With all this in there. Enougth to paint the whole thing inside and out as well as bedliner.

DSC00942.JPG

So the color is Hugger Orange. I'm trying to keep it orange as I like the color.

Nothing fancy. Sand the body down, put all the small parts in the bead blaster. Take all the gauges and windows out of the cruiser and paint it as much apart as possible.

Going 3 coats primer, 3 coats color, 3-6 coats clear. The paint is sprayed straight out of the can. No mixing no nothing. I'm not looking for a show finish but something that looks better than what I have and something easily fixed. Which involved driving down to the store and buying the 10 dollar can right off the shelf. I did a test run last night with my touchup gun just to see how it would look. Primer went on nice with no runs. 10 min between coats. The paint with 10 min between coats then waited about 15 min before the clear went on. All worked well and the piece was able to be touched in about 30 min. Cleanup is real easy. Overall I'm impressed. I might even put 3 additional coats of clear on everything and wet sand it with 1500. Who knows.

New and old

DSC09602.JPG

DSC09604.JPG

DSC09601.JPG

My plan it to paint everything I can. I have 2 quarts of rust bullets I plan on using for area that like to rust before I put primer on.

Should be fun. I'm gonna need new media and a foot pedal for the blast cabinet. Any suggestions? Currently using Al Ox.

stick with the al. oxide. for sure.
How are you planning on killing that mold. IMHO I would powerwash that body with a solution of bleach and Jo max cleaner before you did any sanding etc. Then paint it.
Apply the aforementioned cleaner with a hudson type sprayer(garden variety will work). Then blast the crap out of it with at least 3000psi powerwasher.

BTW-
thanks for the Ralph Hayes hook up. Nice guys to deal with.
m/c, hardtop seals, and hubcaps on the way...

That's gonna be sweet!

stick with the al. oxide. for sure.
How are you planning on killing that mold. IMHO I would powerwash that body with a solution of bleach and Jo max cleaner before you did any sanding etc. Then paint it.
Apply the aforementioned cleaner with a hudson type sprayer(garden variety will work). Then blast the crap out of it with at least 3000psi powerwasher.

BTW-
thanks for the Ralph Hayes hook up. Nice guys to deal with.
m/c, hardtop seals, and hubcaps on the way...

No problem They are good guys. It's a hell of a deal anyway. Anyone would be stupid not to pick a set up for that price.

I've used bleach on the boat to make it white. Ironically I've pressure washed it a few times. It just came back. I've even sprayed the whole thing down with castoral super clean. It makes the color come off really good. lol.

SO far I'm just running small parts thru the blaster. I figure I'll get all the hard stuff done first. Then prep the body. And spray everything in one day.

So this weekend I had planned on stripping the body and attempting to paint the whole thing. Well two days and that didn't happen.

Diamond plate likes to eat cruisers.

DSC09664.JPG

DSC09665.JPG

DSC09666.JPG

DSC09667.JPG

DSC09668.JPG

Some before shots.

DSC09672.JPG

DSC09673.JPG

DSC09674.JPG

DSC09675.JPG

DSC09676.JPG

DSC09678.JPG

And for the goofy pic. My wife took it after seeing me drive out on the road with the cruiser all loaded down with all the parts in the back to pull it in the garage. I definitely like the cruiser seat better.

DSC09731.JPG

Oh and I think I have an experience no one can say they have had. My heater fell out of the cruiser going down the road to turn around. lol.

Last edited:
Lookin' good! Looks like you used some of that nasty ass airplane stripper on the paint. I can see it bubbling off.

Those quarters don't look that bad compared to what they could have with diamond plate.

Are ya gonna finish welding up your rollcage before you put it back on? :hillbilly:

Lookin' good! Looks like you used some of that nasty ass airplane stripper on the paint. I can see it bubbling off.

Those quarters don't look that bad compared to what they could have with diamond plate.

Are ya gonna finish welding up your rollcage before you put it back on? :hillbilly:

I actually like the stripper. Saves a heck of a time. But you have to have some really good gloves or else it will eat them and your finger. You can always tell when you got it on you because it starts burning instantly. As long as you get it off within a couple min you will be ok. I made the mistake once of putting my hand on my hip. Ate a whole through my shirt and made for a quick trip to the hose. Give all that I'd use it again in a heartbeat. You just put it on and let it dry for about 6 hrs and then pressure wash it off. Sure beats wire wheeling it and sanding. If I had enough patience I would have done two cycles of stripper and 95% of the body would have been paint free.

The diamond plate is what caused the corners to rot out in the first place as mud and water get back there. I'm going to put the diamond plate back but I will be coating the backs of it in rust bullets and apply a 3m barrier between the two and use stainless steel rivets.

Roll cage is going to get totally reworked. It's a heavy bastard. Weighs at least 120 lbs.

My plans have changed on the paint somewhat. I'm probably going to spray rust bullets on the high prone rust areas since I still have a couple of quarts. Then apply the body filler where it needs it and then follow that up with a couple coats of epoxy primer I have. Then the primer Duplicolor gave me and then color and finally followed up by the clear.

But now I've got some metal to replace. I've got a half dozen of hard top sides. I'm going to uses a couple to donate metal to the rear quarts and the other places. Since they already have the rear curve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom