start of 2 fj40 builds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New guy checkin in, my son and I are starting 2 builds, one a 69 and the other a 72. both look bad, but are solid. I'll be posting as the builds get going, my son has a little more work to do - but he seems to have the time, currently his is almost down to frame. Ulitmate goals are crawlers. Any good advice on getting sprayed or rolled on liner off the undercarriage? looks like someone rolled underside of body - I spent over an hour with course wire brush on high speed grinder on half of underside of front fender. I have seen some other posts with no one doing much better - last ditch plea before I give in and just spray a fresh coat on - anyone tried acid, or some other chemical?
I'll post pictures through the build,
thanks!!!
100_1773.jpg
100_1790.jpg

love the camo paint job. if you are just going to cut them up and make crawlers i would not worry about it and spray new coat.

if it was a resto then i would keep on wire wheeling it.

nice..godd project for your son to learn welding and metal work have fun with the builds, check the rear frame cross members and shakle hangers

Gumby posted up a descailler (sp) he got and used to remove the undercoating on his FJ 55. He said it worked great.

Nice father and son projects.

Don't forget to flip the bezel on the camo one during the restoration. :D

FLIP THE FREAKIN' BEZEL NEWBIE :flipoff2:! Looks like Travis has some work to do. I TOO like the camo :D. Can't wait to see the progress pics Hugh. Did you get all you're parts ? Later, Mike.

most parts found, but as we tear them apart more parts seem to be needed, the list just keeps changing - not really longer, no shorter just different sh!t needed. camo is now gone from all but hard top, lookin better all the time!

I have heard that accidental experiments show that brake fluid takes just about everything off.

Nice rigs.

Good luck

not that anyone is checking this thread, but camo cruiser is almost ready for paint - basically stripped, sanded and ready, if weather holds will be painted last weekend of Sept. Red 69 is about a week behind, hope to post pictures soon - problem is it just gets dark to damn early

Like I said before it's good to see a father and son project. Looks like you didn't waste no time posting up on the board since you left my house. I hope the top made there it home complete and not on the side of the freeway.
what color are you looking to paint it? I personally would have left it only since your ultimate goals is a " Rock crawler rig".
Good luck to you both.
looking forward to your guys progress.....

Had to stop the rust, plus the camo was just a little too eye catching! Hard top made it no problem, thanks again Chris

picture updates

Snapped a few pictures - 72 fj40 here
100_1814.jpg
100_1815.jpg
100_1816.jpg

More pictures

Son's 69 - he is doing awesome!
100_1819.jpg
100_1818.jpg
100_1817.jpg

Hi All:

Keep those photos coming! It is great to see a father & son resto/build thread like this!

Good luck with your projects!

Alan

paint!

looking better every day - spent friday working like a madman to get prepped. Saturday started off cold and foggy, but sun came out and paint started spraying. Plenty of primer, 2 coats of white, even through in a couple of high quality runs! looking better every day! The garage looked a little strange with all the hanging parts - I'm sure the stuffy neighbors thought the fool was creating some type of artwork!
100_1821.jpg
100_1822.jpg
100_1823.jpg

more paint pics

in process and yes the red in the background is my son's 69 which if weather holds will paint next weekend
100_1826.jpg
100_1827.jpg
100_1828.jpg

Paint Question

What kind of primer is that redish stuff and where did you get it? What kind of paint and gun are you using?
I am replacing rusted fender wells an rear bed and sill and need a good rust converter/primer.
Your post and pics is giving me some hope, keep em coming.

thanks, the red primer is red oxide primer - i used to build docks and we used this primer often on steel going in water and it really slows down rust. I'm sure there is better product out there, but this stuff is cheap. I bought a couple of quarts and a half dozen rattle cans from home depot rustolium. I think they call it red metal primer? I ended up only using the rattle cans and will return the quarts. This primer is only oil based - i think? so it should fully cure and then be covered with a laquer based primer. I'm sure some of the paint guys will say this is all wrong, but i'm on a budget and it works - i've done it in the past and know what to expect. where you see the red primer I will be spraying in a bed liner type material next. The gun is a top feed craftsman - about 100 bucks. the paint I picked up at a local auto paint shop - some commercial / industrial stuff that goes on equipment - I'm not aiming for perfection, just improvement. We will be painting my son's in the next few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom