FJ60 off-road/camping trailer build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.thewagonway.com
I am not sure if this has been done before, I have not found anything like it yet. I have wanted to have a trailer to camp and take on the trails with for some time. I know I could go out and buy one, but too expensive and what's the fun in that. So I recently converted my 62 to a 4spd out of a donor 60. This 60 is not going to waste in a means at all. Between my needs and Kynot62's needs for 60 parts, there is pretty much nothing left of it except some body parts and a frame. Then came the idea of using parts of the 60 to make a trailer. So the idea is to merge the front end and the back end together. Keep the tailgate, pop the hood for putting stuff into and tow it backwards.

Here are the pics of progress so far. So far so good.
photo(11).jpg
photo(10).jpg
photo(15).jpg

I am so following this thread!
This idea's so outside-of-the-box it hurts, best of luck, man.

Are you going to keep the headlights and wire them up for backup lights?

All the lights will be wired up, turn signals and what not, but am thinking of replacing the headlights with 7" round trailer lights to be used as brake/tail lights. Then put aux lights on the front bumper to be used as back up lights. Thats the plan right now, but things change.

Last edited:
Wicked cool idea!

So many questions, so little ability to articulate them because my cat is sleeping on my arm.
So is the back going to be solid steel, and your sole access is via the hood?
Also, how're you planning on plugging the holes where the rad sat, and under the engine compartment?
What about the latching system? Will you hide a lever somewhere that replaces the hood-release pull-knob?
What color are you going for?
this is going to turn out pretty cool, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

So many questions, so little ability to articulate them because my cat is sleeping on my arm.
So is the back going to be solid steel, and your sole access is via the hood?
Also, how're you planning on plugging the holes where the rad sat, and under the engine compartment?
What about the latching system? Will you hide a lever somewhere that replaces the hood-release pull-knob?
What color are you going for?
this is going to turn out pretty cool, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

The back of the trailer will still have the tailgate to open up. There wont be much to plug up on the floor because the whole entire rear cargo floor is still being used. Using that and the rear part of the frame will also enable me to use the gas tank as an aux tank.

There is still the issue of sealing up the hood well enough to keep out water, but that's minor compared to the overall project.

The section behind the hood to the tail gate will either be a sectioned part of the actual ribbed roof or I am working on the idea of widening the the rear hatch and using that.

For the hood latch, that will be located in the gas door compartment on the side.

And it will be painted white to match the 62.

This is so bizzar it is cool. I will be watching this as it could get really wild.

Got some more done on the trailer. A lot of it was cutting metal behind panels to get things to fit right. Was able to fit the front end in place and cut and formed the rear wheel wells to match the front ones.
trailer 10.JPG
trailer 11.JPG
trailer 12.JPG

Have you told your wife/sig other what you're doing? If not, I wouldn't rush to clue her in just yet :)

This is a very unique idea....Pictures are needed on every detail----

Quite a cool build- more pics!!

Started sectioning the fenders. The body lines on a 60 narrow 3/8" as they travel towards the rear. Doing this will make it look like one piece when finished. That's of course if my "beginner" sheet metal welding goes alright :D.
fender 1.JPG

Finished sectioning the front fenders. Tested out my "beginner" sheet metal welding skills, or lack there of. Now the two body lines match up. Did some final measurements of the front end and hood placement to make sure things were "square". Next is cutting the rear body and weld in the front fenders and start building the internal frame for the hood supports.
fender2.JPG
fender3.JPG

More fender work today. Getting a little better using the Ready Welder on sheet metal. Was able to cut the rear body and weld in the front fenders. Tomorrow I am getting some more metal for the internal frame for the hood supports and hitch mechanism. Hoping by the end of the weekend to cut it away from the rest of the frame and sitting more like trailer.
trailer 13.JPG
fender 6.JPG
fender 7.JPG

yup its weird .. but im really liking it so far .. the best part is you will have the only one like it.. and i garantee you will be stopped , you will be questioned ,, its pretty cool, i cant wait to see it done as well ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom