Ze French Fries! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hallo Mon cherie!

I am needing zee french fry recipe!

Merci!

we have a Fry Daddy at work, those things work great with the frozen fries.

'ow much of zee duck buttair must I add to zees "Fry Daddy"?

For a lil' North American twist on your french delight, you should try making poutine. In fact, it originated in Quebec! Now, I just got back from a trip to Canada, and it seems likely that either the indian food in Toronto or the Poutine completely fxxxed with my digestive system, if you know what I mean, wink wink, nod nod. But hey, fries, cheese curds and gravy, what's not to love?
smokes_trio.jpg

be sure to cook the potatoes twice -- the first time to blanch the potatoes, the second time to crisp them up.

NCD said:
Directions
Pour oil in a deep fryer or heavy saucepan to reach halfway up the sides of the pan. Heat to 325 degrees F, use a deep fry thermometer to determine this. While the oil is heating, peel the potatoes and push through a French fry cutter to form uniform sticks. As you go, place the cut potatoes in a bowl of ice water to release some of the starch and to keep them from browning.

Dry the potato strips thoroughly, this will keep the oil from splattering. Fry the potatoes in batches so the pan isn't crowded and the oil temperature does not plummet. Cook for 3 minutes until they are soft but not browned. Remove the potatoes with a long-handled metal strainer and drain on brown paper bags.

Bring oil temperature up to 375 degrees F. Return the par-fried potatoes to the oil in batches and cook a second time for 4 minutes until golden and crispy. Drain on fresh brown paper bags then place in a serving bowl lined with paper towels. Salt and serve immediately.

Peal potatoes and cut to size, rinse in cold water, pour off water, rinse again in cold water, dry thoroughly, fry in small batches in 350 degree oil until just starting to brown, remove to a paper towel covered rack, return to 350 degree oil once again in small batches. Remove to rack when done and salt immediately. To make even better these may be frozen and re-fried when ready to use.

Julia Child did the best Pomfrit.
My recipe calls for blanching at 275° letting cool completely then frying at 350°. I haven't made french fries in decades.

yer missin' out cowboy...

Has anyone tried frying up French Fries (or anything else for that matter) starting with (the) cold oil method? Intriguing and many advantages. On my list to tries.

I always wanted to ask Beef Barley/Noah for a source for duck fat. Recently pulled up a search and all I can find is canned.:hmm:

Whole Foods has it...but it ain't cheap. OTOH anything of quality...is typically not cheap :D

SOme resturant we went to used beef tallow for their fries and I recall them as being very toothsome.
there's a local brew pub in town that uses duck fat for their fries...YUM!!!

yeah duck fat rules on FF. I have yet to try the cold oil fry...but should be able to report back soon. The science of it makes sense. Just fighting a lifetime of being taught to put fry goods into hot oil first...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom