yet another 60 gallon air compressor questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys,

I needed a bigger compressor for a sand blasting project and started looking around. Craigs list did not have much other than a

campbell hausfeld 60 gallon compressor VT327504AJ for $400, supposedly used little and about 5 yrs old. Price $400

Another one I found is a Champion R series brand circa 1969, specs unknown, It looks like it might be a 2 stage, but unclear, appears not much negotiation and price $650. This one would be great if it is a 2 stage and it does have 240v motor.
I would like to get this one, but the price is higher that I think it should be.
http://images.craigslist.org/00c0c_68jpYDwtfTc_600x450.jpg and in this corner.

We have the
Husky 60-Gal. Stationary Electric Air Compressor

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-60...Air-Compressor-C601H/203187350#specifications

3.4hp 240 volt motor, 13.4 CSFM at 40 and 11.2 CSFM at 90 PSI.
Normally $489, I got one that was returned for $325.
It is not a V shaped compressor, so it may run a bit hotter, but it has a warranty and I can still return it If I want to.

What would you guys do?
Thanks,

That Husky is big enough for the fireplace. You may have to stop and let it build up if you go too quick but it is way cheaper than getting that big one which you don't know the specs or condition of.
I sandblasted with a 1/2 hp 30 gal compressor for years. Blast, let it sit and do other things.
That other unit probably weighs over 700 lbs and will need heavier power wire as well as pressure regulator and maybe drier.
If you have ongoing need for such a compressor great, if not why bother? Plus any part for that 69 will cost more than the price of the whole husky if you can even get it.
I bought a couple of even bigger compressors and while they were good, no parts or info was available so I sold them and got a new 5hp 80 gal 2 stage.

Having recently had a warranty claim on a big box pro-sumer air compressor, they pretty much aren't worth the paper they're printed on. A lot of stuff isn't covered and if it is, you have to take it to their repair shops, but there weren't very many around (pop 6 million). One of them wanted 3-4 weeks to get around to it, and the other admitted he (operative word: "he") didn't know anything about fixing air compressors.

Maybe it's a different situation with husky over kobalt but knowing what I know now, I'd opt for the compressor not found at the big box stores.

I say go for the old one if possible; I guarantee it's waaaay better built than most of the crap you'll find at HD. Most every shop I drive by has something similar, they just don't seem to die.

echo tclark. if you can find an older one(like the Gardner-Denver) you could always add "external tanks" to increase the back up air volume---did this with a cheapo Campbell Hausfield(sp?)--added 2 - 10 gal tanks to the main 8 gal tank and I have a lot of air---

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom