Y Crossover With Rams Head Manifolds / Chevy V8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I don't like my exhaust set up, it's duals hanging low off each side. I don't care for the look or the sound and I want to change over to a single exhaust and muffler exiting the rear of the truck. My set up is a 350 V8 with rams head exhaust manifolds so I think I am part way there. I have done a search and found some older threads that address this conversion but my thoughts are what 2 into one Y pipe is available that will work with my set up and is there a need to use a converted heat riser on one side to compensate for the length difference? I'm hoping to hear from someone who has recently done this to get current parts sources and prices before I start ordering parts.

I did this probably 15yrs ago and I'm sure there's no new silver bullet. Search here for the Wagner Y pipe and it should net you the part #. You can Google search for a 2" diameter heat riser spacer. Your looking for without a butterfly for the passenger side ramshorns. At the time I found a parts supplier for old corvettes, but they're other sources. You probably need longer manifold studs. You'll need a gasket to go between the spacer and manifold.

Last edited:
You might look at this link.

Thanks, I appreciate the help with this.

A good exhaust shop should be able to build you a complete, properly fitted system for a few bucks. That's the path I would take

You might look at this link.

I used this on my 350. Fits well and easy routing on the drivers side. I cobbled the rest of the exhaust together. When I swapped the LS in I reused everything behind the Y pipe back. HTH

What sized exhaust do you want to run? I used 2.5". I ordered the walker unit that is typically recommended but if I recall correctly, it was too small in diameter.

Since you're going to fully redo your exhaust, some fabrication is going to be needed no matter what. So I think you're better off just doing it yourself or hiring it out. I did it myself using mandrel bent pieces from summit racing and an angle grinder. It wasn't too bad, although I made the crossover pipe with my engine on a stand.

The walker unit isn't mandrel bent, so it has the ugly creases that choke down the inner diameter.

There are different diameter Center dump Ramshorns, 2" and 2 1/2". The 2" center dump outlets are what this Y pipe is for. The 2 1/2" center dumps were on Corvettes which had dual exhaust and a Y pipe wasn't offered.

A good exhaust shop should be able to build you a complete, properly fitted system for a few bucks. That's the path I would take
I live in a remote area and the nearest good muffler shop is a long ways away. If I can at least get the Y installed if push comes to shove there is a guy local that can handle doing the rest of the system.

Last edited:
I did this probably 15yrs ago and I'm sure there's no new silver bullet. Search here for the Wagner Y pipe and it should net you the part #. You can Google search for a 2" diameter heat riser spacer. Your looking for without a butterfly for the passenger side ramshorns. At the time I found a parts supplier for old corvettes, but they're other sources. You probably need longer manifold studs. You'll need a gasket to go between the spacer and manifold.

I did mine about 3 or 4 years ago and used the 2 in pipe to 2 1/2 collector. If you are using the corvette style ram horns, you need this little spacer and it was actually the hardest to track down.

I used the Walker Y Pipe and heat-riser delete plate mention a couple of years ago. I used Dorman reproduction Ram's Horns, which may be part of the issue, but I will say, it was not plug and play. I ended up having to cut the Y Pipe and re-weld it at a slightly different angle to get everything to mate up. Even as tucked up as it is, with a narrow 1.5" exhaust, I still managed to flex the front diff/driveshaft into it the first time I went offroad and put a good dent in it. If I were to do it again I'd just have an exhaust shop weld up a custom Y-pipe.

I think so. I bought mine from Corvette Central. I have no affiliation. Don't forget the gasket to go between the manifold and spacer. I think you'll need donut gaskets too.

Screenshot_20231030_204050_Chrome.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom