XL7 vs 4Runner (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the responses guys and keep them coming. I haven't made my mind up either way but I do feel more attracted to the Suzuki due to its lower buy-in and simple mechanical nature. I thank all the GX470 owners for chipping in, but I had already considered that vehicle before posting, and it's just not happening. They are harder to find than 4Runners, plus I might be one of the few people out there who actually prefers a vehicle that isn't loaded to the nuts with bells and whistles. I don't really have an issue with the Lexus, it's just that, if a 4Runner's borderline too fancy and expensive, a GX470 is completely out of the picture.

They are practically the same price and you can find low mileage ones A LOT easier. It's not really any more complicated. Same basic truck.

I understand being intimidated by the electronics in a Lexus, but given how many of these things are running around well past 200k, I wouldn't be too worried. You'll probably remove the air suspension anyway.

Re: being harder to find...I'm not sure that's correct. They're everywhere.

Maybe it's different in Canada vs the United States, but I searched for a GX470 before and after starting this thread and the prices are nowhere near comparable to a similar year/mileage 4Runner. I couldn't find a GX for less than $18,000, versus the NICEST 4th gen 4Runner was about the same price - way over my price range. There was also about a half-dozen in my province for sale, versus roughly twice as many 4Runners.

Also, going back to the graph- so if the Suzuki is roughly 10% more likely to experience powertrain defects than a 4th gen Runner, that's still pretty good, considering how reliable my Tacoma has been over the last 6 years (I'm guessing the Runner is similar in reliability to the Taco). I'd like to see a graph for some comparable domestics like the Jeep Commander and Ford Explorer and Nissan Pathfinder and Mitsubishi Montero/Sport, and maybe a Tahoe for what it's worth. At least that would help put things in perspective.

Go 4runner.

I picked up a 2006 for $16K US last summer and a few weeks later hauled myself and three of my friends plus tons of backpacking and camping gear across 7 of the northwestern states over a few weeks without a single complaint about comfort. (actually had comments about how comfy it was)
I've done 20k miles on it since then without a single problem. The traction control is great off road, making up for my worn out tires and handling southern Utah's BLM land dirt roads and hidden little trails without batting an eye. The brakes on the sport edition are freaking awesome, and coming from only ever driving a 60 before, ABS and traction control is like a gift from the gods when driving in the snow. The downhill descent control is pretty funky but does its job well, I don't bother to use it though.

If it was my only vehicle I would probably put another set of good 32's on it and a mild lift. (~2") Its plenty capable for what I bought it for: long distance travel, in comfort, with the ability to get off the paved road and find a free campsite while never having to worry about fixing stuff.

Maybe it's different in Canada vs the United States, but I searched for a GX470 before and after starting this thread and the prices are nowhere near comparable to a similar year/mileage 4Runner. I couldn't find a GX for less than $18,000, versus the NICEST 4th gen 4Runner was about the same price - way over my price range. There was also about a half-dozen in my province for sale, versus roughly twice as many 4Runners.

Also, going back to the graph- so if the Suzuki is roughly 10% more likely to experience powertrain defects than a 4th gen Runner, that's still pretty good, considering how reliable my Tacoma has been over the last 6 years (I'm guessing the Runner is similar in reliability to the Taco). I'd like to see a graph for some comparable domestics like the Jeep Commander and Ford Explorer and Nissan Pathfinder and Mitsubishi Montero/Sport, and maybe a Tahoe for what it's worth. At least that would help put things in perspective.
The Canadian market is really weird to me - trucks (Tacoma, etc) up there seem to cost about 2/3 of what they do in the States.

I was looking for XL7 lift kits and found this thread. I just had to sign up to comment.

I just retired my 02 XL7 after searching for another for 2 years. The old truck had some issues that age brings on so I decided to replace it.

Like you, a 4 Runner was the nearest best thing. But, it's wider, heavier, shorter inside and costs more.

You can find rare low km XL7s. Many were towed behind motorhomes. I finally found a 2002 with 130,000 kms in Vancouver for $4,000 Canadian. At that price, I can walk into Zukiworld, raise it, winch it, replace the front dif with their hybrid with hubs and no airpump, tall tires and walk out with my hands clean for the same price as a 4Runner with such anomalous low kms.

And you get a little truck narrow enough to squeeze through those overgrown skidder trails. The power is enough for any off road use other than hotrodding in mudholes. Zukiworld has a fuel mileage trick they haven't told me about yet to increase fuel economy.

And it's not a Toyota like all the other Toyotas on the road.

It's a Zuki. Everyone loves a Zuki.

This is insane haha Lets see some videos of these XL7s wheeling please

It's always cool to see rigs you wouldn't expect to be wheeled out on the trail. Videos please!

Well Krice118... I guess it's what che y'all call wheelin'.

But of background...not that it really matters. I'm an exploration geologist and have been driving the back roads of British Columbia, Yukon, Mexico, South America, eastern Europe and Africa for the past 40 years. I learned to drive on the second generation Dodge Power Wagon in the 70s when 4x4 weren't cool and Goodyear bias ply lugs were the standard and Formula Desert Dogs were the only fat alternative. I've driven just about every brand and type of 4x4 on the planet, provided by mining companies and commercial rentals.

At the end of the day, I've always found that the critical elements of any truck are good tires, clearance, a winch and patience and planning to get through anything. For me and many others, it's all about finding those trails that others miss.

Now, if wheeling means looking for a local mudhole or rock trail for an afternoon of smashing undercarriages followed by a weekend of fixing it, then go for the Toyota, jack it up on fat meat, put in the turbo, fill the beer cooler and crank the stereo.

The aluminum front diff under the Zuk is it's exclusion from the rock party crowd. But it will sneak you up old skidder trails, drill tracks and abandoned mining roads just fine. Narrow is good. And never leave home without a winch.

Second request for video.

Sorry gang. I'm not from the video hero generation. My "wheeling" is for work.

Gotta run...headed to the Sierra Madres in northern Sonora in a bone stock 2016 Ford Ranger with a 2.2 LTR turbo diesel double cab.

Now THAT'S a truck that should on Canadian and US back roads. Built in Argentina, hard as a rock, stunning fuel economy, 1 ton payload. If the company would just let me take off the sway bars....

@SteveXL7 I just meant the comparison is insane bc so different. If you go with a XL7 keep us posted here on mud.
Sounds like you have had some awesome experieces with all kinds of 4wheel drives.

My BIL has an XL7, it is causing him nothing but problems, and it isnt like he or the previous owner (my FIL) dont do all the maint, they are the take it to the dealership kind of folks. It is just that I dont think the suzukis are very well built I also DD a montero sport, NOPE NOPE NOPE, it is worth its weight in scrap metal, and not much more, that thing has been a boondoggle since my parents bought it new in the early 2000s. Recently someone stole a relay (honestly I think it was a mechanic when I had some service done) it was a $50 dealer only part that is only stocked in a warehouse on the east coast, it took a week to get it (now you know I think it was a service tech).

I don't know about XL7 but I though Suzuki Jimny's have pretty good reputation. You see them all over the place in Iceland. They're easy to rent and clearly reliable enough that the rental companies lets you take them on all sorts of remote unpaved back-country roads in Iceland.
About the only place I wouldn't trust one is in a river crossing since they're so light.

Before I bought my GX I was seriously looking for 04-06 XL7. It's going to be a toy so drivetrain would be changed anyway. Thinking Cummins crate 4 cylinder diesel, 6 speed manual transmission, fj80 front axle and FJ cruiser 8.2 rear axle. I really like the size. It's narrow and light enough while the long wheel base would provide the interior space and cargo volume needed for semi long distance travel. That is before I realize I don't have the time and tools to build it yet

In Asia people are stuffing prado 90 or even Volvo portal axles under this tiny Suzuki. Suzuki chassis and body are still their number one choice for off road competition due to its relative small size and light weight. I really wanted something like team Maxxis Malaysia truck that have been winning Malaysian rain Forrest challenge the last 3-4 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom