xj springs front and rear for wheelbase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1974 fj40 disc front end with longs, 4.88s detroits front and rear, 4" spring under, shackle reversal. 36" iroks. I cracked the frame at superlift awhile back and repaired/stretched rear axle. The rear spring hangers pulled the frame apart. the new hangers were trussed. With this and flipping stock springs im at 101" if i remember right... ANYWAY

I want more wheel base. I'll be switching to 38" tsl's also.

here is my plan, I'll take advice, information, and pros and cons... you can even flame me if you would like.. I have searched the past couple weeks and the only thing I have found is the xj springs can be used to stretch wheel base in the rear of the bluetorchfabs stretch kit. I have fabrication skills and material.. but no money for a link suspension.

If research and advice leads in the direction I want to go.. I want to used xj springs front and rear SPRUNG OVER, moved as far forward front and rearward rear as I can. I want the wheel base to set where the tires roughly stick out 1" on both ends... Not the wheelbase, just the edge of the tires.

I also intend to cut the front of the frame as far back as I can and still keep my 8274. In researching my archive of pics, I found the idea of relocating the radiator close to the engine, running a slim pusher fan, and mounting the winch in front of the radiator, but mostly behind the grill..Ive even considered stretching the front clip a few inches to keep the winch behind the grill.

The rear tire carrier will be removed and a new flush bumper will be made. I would also like to mount the rear 8274 behind the bumper underneath the 40 instead of mounted in the back.. After the game plan is final I am also going to redo the rear sheetmetal, relocate the dual batteries and on board air, and tub the rear fenders. I want low, long wheel base , and lots of flex... with in leaf spring budget..

By boostedz31

By boostedz31

By boostedz31

Im also in the process of getting another set of fender aprons that I will "raise" for more tire clearance under flex in the front. I really don't know how much lift xj springs sprung over will net, but i want her low and flexy..

sorry this post is so long......... FIRE AWAY

don't use XJ springs up front, run stock fj40s. XJ spring are too long for a front application, you would get hung up on the stupid things soo much and the short side of the fj40 spring is 3" shorter for your wheelbase/approch considerations. My wheelbase is now 103.5 now that I have the axle centered on the rear springs; i am using the stock hanger location in the rear for the fixed mount. I added 2 leafs to the XJ springs and the rate is perfect for my fairly lite 40.

My 40 is about 3.5" over stock height, and I have plans to lower it 2" in this configuration.

Ok, thanks for the tips guys...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom