Windshield availability? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone tell me if any of the windshields for the folding-top 70 series (like a BJ73) are still available?

56111-90K05 ZONE TEMPERED GLASS, T=5.0
56111-90K06 TINTED ZONE TEMPERED GLASS, T=5.0
56111-90K07 LAMINATED GLASS, T=5.3
56111-90K08 TINTED LAMINATED GLASS, T=5.3

Pretty sure Kurt has them.

@cruiseroutfit

Not sure which one(s) though

Yup, we stock a handful of options. I can't remember which variants we have for each model (hardtop vs rem. top 7x) but they are still available through Toyota USA. We do get some from outside Toyota sources but given shipping is such a PITA on glass, your local dealer is going to be the best bet.

PS @jfrench great getting to meet you at CruiserFest!

Yup, we stock a handful of options. I can't remember which variants we have for each model (hardtop vs rem. top 7x) but they are still available through Toyota USA. We do get some from outside Toyota sources but given shipping is such a PITA on glass, your local dealer is going to be the best bet.

Kurt, thanks. I'm not tooo far away now, in CO, what part of Utah are you located in?

I don't have a discounting dealership near me so I'd be paying full markup if I go local. May be worth it to me to make a drive.

56111-60230 is the part number for the the windshield. Available in the US market.

Beno is right, that's the partnumber.

My truck's windshield got cracked while dismounting for paint job. Even though it was not in stock during the time, they could order one from Toyota's HQ in Japan.

You can also check if the windshield's weatherstrip is in good condition, if not, it could be a good opportunity to change it too. There are a couple of options (with and without chrome mouldings), both are still available.

The weatherstrip should not be reused.

56121-90K01 without moulding groove.
56121-90K03 with moulding groove.

In view of the fact that mouldings are difficult to save and difficult to source I would go with the plain weatherstrip. Easier to deal with and unless you are doing a 100 point restoration more than suitable for the job.

The weatherstrip should not be reused.

Hi Dan,

Sorry for the off-topic, my BJ74 recently got a complete paint job at a Toyota authorized dealer. Nevertheless, I wasn't lucky enough and the windshield perished when reassembling. Even though the dealer is importing a new windshield, do you 100% recommend not to use the same weatherstrip?

It's not the first time I change a windshield and preserve the old strip without issues, but considering my target is an excellent restoration, that would be your final recommendation? (my pocket hurts and my hand itches everytime I buy an old part from Toyota, $$$)

Thanks.

Hi Dan,

Sorry for the off-topic, my BJ74 recently got a complete paint job at a Toyota authorized dealer. Nevertheless, I wasn't lucky enough and the windshield perished when reassembling. Even though the dealer is importing a new windshield, do you 100% recommend not to use the same weatherstrip?

It's not the first time I change a windshield and preserve the old strip without issues, but considering my target is an excellent restoration, that would be your final recommendation? (my pocket hurts and my hand itches everytime I buy an old part from Toyota, $$$)

Thanks.

I have replaced many 70 series windshields in the past and always reused the stock rubber without any problems,I think it depends where you live weather you could get away with this or not.I lived in cold and rainy Europe and sheetmetal rusted away pretty fast but rubbers preserve excellent in those conditions.

Ps if you live somewhere where it rains much you might want to use some sealer between windshield frame and rubber because these things leaked from the day they where new !

Always use a damn new weatherstrip and always use sealant between the weatherstrip and the body.

This is no brainer s***. Don't take a shower and put dirty undies back on.

I have replaced many 70 series windshields in the past and always reused the stock rubber without any problems,I think it depends where you live weather you could get away with this or not.I lived in cold and rainy Europe and sheetmetal rusted away pretty fast but rubbers preserve excellent in those conditions.

Ps if you live somewhere where it rains much you might want to use some sealer between windshield frame and rubber because these things leaked from the day they where new !

I guess I'm luck I live in a place where average rainfall is almost 0 inches per year.

Always use a damn new weatherstrip and always use sealant between the weatherstrip and the body.

Well after looking at your work in other threads I couldn't expect any other though. (btw, that BJ70 looks amazing, real nice work, congrats.)

Considering past experience I'm still leaning to buy a new strip. So here's another question. The old strip I got has chrome mouldings, I assume these can be taken out ant placed again in the new strip? (56121-90K03). Got my car with less than 20k miles, most parts are in mint condition and I wouldn't want to spend money in stuff I could re-use unless it compromises car's performance or state of preservation.

Thanks again.

So you always buy new underwear instead of washing them once every while ?

Has anyone had luck replacing the chrome strip? I gave a half hearted effort when I replaced my windshield but I can't imagine having it come off and back on correctly. Bought a new seal without the chrome and it works and looks fine!

Has anyone had luck replacing the chrome strip? I gave a half hearted effort when I replaced my windshield but I can't imagine having it come off and back on correctly. Bought a new seal without the chrome and it works and looks fine!

I got a new windshield, weatherstrip and chrome mouldings arriving by late december; I'll see what it's like by then since I'll be reusing a couple of mouldings that are in great condition.

So, I am going to kinda piggy back on this thread instead of making a new one. After my cruiser failed state inspection for parking brake not holding (BS), I got it adjusted and took it back only to fail again for my windshield being tinted completely so my cruiser can not be registered until I pass inspection.

It is not that dark so it was overlooked and I passed inspection before. The problem is that it looks like the tint film goes past the gasket so I am not sure how I am going to remove the tint. Any suggestions? I don't care if the windshield has tint or not, so if I can easily remove it myself then I would like to. I guess Texas doesn't like my cruiser because I have never had so much issue getting a car legit in my life.

I doubt the tint is under the gasket. Good tint installers hide the edges quite well. My glass guy uses ammonia to lift tint.

I doubt the tint is under the gasket. Good tint installers hide the edges quite well. My glass guy uses ammonia to lift tint.

The edges are very well hidden. I am going to try a steamer or ammonia, but chances are I may end up taking it to a tint shop to have them remove it.

Hello,

Tint film degrades as it ages, mostly because of sunlight. Degradation products include acetic acid and acrolein. At first both are trapped between film and glass, but they eventually leak out. And they stink.

Old car smell is due in part to decaying film.

You do not want to peel old tint film... But sometimes you have to.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom