Wicked electrical problem, 1980 BJ40 diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for help to clear my stupidity on this please. Had a starter failure, pulled it-had it rebuilt (twice as the shop had it reversed the first time). New rebuild clearly has "12V" sticker on solenoid housing-but they assured me no prob. First startup and test drive (<5min) no problems. Second one was wife starting and it melted the first positive battery terminal-see pics. The starter and battery wiring is set up exactly the same as it was-only change is the rebuilt starter-and as far as I can see there is no damage to the battery cabling such as the melted insulation I was expecting from a dead short on that initial starter>battery + terminal. Going to test that battery-but it leaked fluid and the terminal is toast-looking for guidance so I dont roast another one or anything else. Thanks in advance for any help.
IMG_1585.jpg

IMG_1583.jpg

IMG_1584.jpg

is it a 24 volt rig?
loose connection will do that to a battery terminal

is it a 24 volt rig?
It is a 24 V rig with the batteries in series. Possibly I failed to properly tighten that one terminal back down. Thanks for the idea.

Did this happen in the few seconds that it took you to start it, or did it happen over a longer time through charging?

Either way sounds like a loose battery connection.

Test how fast your starter spins at only 12v - you still have one battery at least

Did this happen in the few seconds that it took you to start it, or did it happen over a longer time through charging?

Either way sounds like a loose battery connection.

Test how fast your starter spins at only 12v - you still have one battery at least
It happened in the 10 seconds or so of starting-wife immediately shut down. Looks like the groups says I failed to tighten that terminal end down properly (likely), so I will replace terminal end, and battery, and get back in the saddle. Thanks all!

is it a 24 volt rig?
Yes, it is 24v with series connection-and everyone is saying that the connection was likely loose-and that is probably right. Thanks for the answer.

It happened in the 10 seconds or so of starting-wife immediately shut down. Looks like the groups says I failed to tighten that terminal end down properly (likely), so I will replace terminal end, and battery, and get back in the saddle. Thanks all!
Impressive amount of melting in a few seconds. You could put a current clamp on the starter cable to check what its drawing if at all worried.

This issue was closed by installing new battery, and new lead from starter to battery that had gotten fried-I appreciate all the help from the folks here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom