Electrical issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi! New guy here!! Recently purchased a 78 FJ and I am in the process of putting things back together. To start with when installing new headlights I only had high beams. I replaced the dimmer switch and corrected that issue but now the lights won't go off even if I disconnect the headlight switch! Is there a relay somewhere that could be bad! Thanks for any help!!

If you poke around here you can find the correct wiring diagram for your rig. Blow it up to "A" size, then write on the back tune up and torque spec's, and part numbers - then get it laminated. You should invest in the other manuals for it too.

If you poke around here you can find the correct wiring diagram for your rig. Blow it up to "A" size, then write on the back tune up and torque spec's, and part numbers - then get it laminated. You should invest in the other manuals for it too.
Thank you Sir! Still learning how to navigate things in here!!

Relays are a common modification, and could be stuck.
Melted and shorted wires are also possible.

The best way is to add some photos if you're not sure what is original and you'll open the flood gates

Disconnect your dimmer switch and reconnect it and see if that helps.. Maybe reinstall the original dimmer. I don't have a drawing, so at the very least you could start reseating or disconnecting connectors until the lights stop...or start working.

I think I may have figured it out. I unplugged the 2 wire connector from the dimmer and they work fine, high beams, low beam, and on/off. I believe the red wire goes to the headlight switch and the other goes to the horns. I'm thinking that maybe the issue is in the headlight switch . Will dig in further tomorrow!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom