Where Has Your 80 Taken You?: 80 Series Camping/Overland/Adventure Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not too recent sir, I took these last July when I was there for the FJ Summit. Tons of fun and I highly recommend it.

Oh that makes a lot more sense. I had heard it was a down year, snow wise, in the Rockies this year, but would have been shocked it these roads were already open.

Oh that makes a lot more sense. I had heard it was a down year, snow wise, in the Rockies this year, but would have been shocked it these roads were already open.

Exactly my thoughts.
Even though you can often get to the top well before the other side is open.. for the top to be that clear this early would be highly irregular.

Last year was bad for snow, but they got some big storms in april/may. I was among the first few people to do BB pass last summer.. July 10th or 11th IIRC.

Hell, does anyone really live there? I guess he is one of 300 or so people. LOL It is a beautiful place!

Yep he was the fire chief for the last 10 years. 300 during the winter - to 3500 during the summer!

First off, @atomicshawn is my hero. You've expanded my list of places I need to go in this region. Thank you! I wish I had seen this thread when it started instead of just this week!
Next, I've not been very good about taking pictures of my 80 in cool places. I'm usually driving and we just want to get there. Plus, it makes off-road adventuring look easy. I look at it and think, "That's just what it does. That's not picture worthy." I'll do better, I promise.

So, I went back through my pictures and picked out a few key pix of where it has taken me and my family over the years. It hasn't taken us places, it has given us experiences and built in each of my kids a passion for the outdoors and adventure. It kept my teen son safe in an accident that could have been worse had it been in our commuter car. It has helped me make my family what it is and who we are. It's more than just a car/truck/rig. It's a way of life. Thanks, Toyota!

Here's one picture, then a link to my album if anyone cares to peruse. It's all over Utah, Oregon, Idaho, Nevada, Wyoming, the Mississippi river in one case.

https://goo.gl/photos/rLjQKLqAxi9vwecZ8

20140829_195047.jpg

Annual summer backpacking trip with Kelbelicious and his good family. Spent some more time exploring canyons of the Escalante

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
8.JPG

10.JPG

He's getting pretty good. Not as scary as it used to be. I may be setting myself up. Probably too confident now. He'll probably steal the keys when he's like 13...

2b.JPG
12.JPG

Last edited:
Had to take a swim in the lake

20.JPG

She watched too many episodes of the Crocodile Hunter when she was a kid, stuck her had under a big rock and pulled this monster out. Crikey!

24.JPG
25.JPG
50.JPG

Last edited:
8 days 1960 miles
600+ was dirt
1200' - 10500' elevation
4 states AZ,CO,UT,NM
4 National Parks Canyon lands, Capital Reef, Grand Canyon, Arches
Avg 13.45 mpg (10.72-15.07)
Travel weight #6580 wet
700 pictures