Where does LC end and Rubicon begin? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Guys. Comparing a bone stock LC to a bone stock 2dr Rubi. with an inexperienced operator. Inexperienced meaning no experience in truly technical trails.

We're likely moving to Colorado. Have a LC that I'm going to keep. We will have a second vehicle as well. We're trying to determine whether to get a Rubi as the second. The only reasons we'd get the Rubi is the top down option and (possibly) it's superior suitability for the trails. While I don't plan on intentionally pushing my vehicle to the limit, I do plan on regularly exploring the trails. We'll be living in Breck so will be close to some pretty scenic trails that we plan on visiting.

We've never explored the SW, so would hopefully get to utilize the LC around Moab, AZ, etc.
Unpopular opinion: the trails that a jeep rubicon handles more appropriately than a land cruiser are better for backpacking...you could probably hike trails like the rubicon faster than you can drive it even in a heavily modified vehicle.

regarding Moab: I’ve never been there...anyone know whether a mountain bike would be an appropriate vehicle for the area? I’m sure a dual sport/enduro motorcycle would be fun out there.

200 series is a very very capable car camping car...I mean overlander. You could probably sink $18,000 into lockers, gears, skids, sliders, bumpers, winch, tires, and rims...and have a vehicle that gets in the vicinity of a stock 4 door wrangler rubicon as far as trail chops are concerned...except with the land cruiser it’d also be comfortable and reliable enough to appreciate a cross country trip.

however, at that point, from a long term life perspective, you might be better suited hiring a personal trainer, getting in the best shape of your life, and hiking or mountain biking those same trails you would otherwise drive your car across.

I've owned almost as many Jeeps as I have Toyota's to this point in my life. I was a die hard Jeep guy before I saw the light with Toyota's lol. Jeep's definitely have their place and I respect them for what they are but they are certainly a different tool and not really comparable to the LC. If slow rugged trails crawling over larger boulders is the name of the game then the Jeep is the best bet but they aren't as reliable as the LC and certainly no where near as comfortable. I'll refrain from saying that I'll never own another but the last one I had left a really bad taste in my mouth for the brand as it had to be bought back under Lemon Law and I was left with very little faith in their reliability. I'll admit that I am envious of their lockers, straight axle, and ability to fit large meats with ease but for the 98% of my driving that isn't off-road I am much happier in the LC.

Unpopular opinion: the trails that a jeep rubicon handles more appropriately than a land cruiser are better for backpacking...you could probably hike trails like the rubicon faster than you can drive it even in a heavily modified vehicle.

regarding Moab: I’ve never been there...anyone know whether a mountain bike would be an appropriate vehicle for the area? I’m sure a dual sport/enduro motorcycle would be fun out there.

200 series is a very very capable car camping car...I mean overlander. You could probably sink $18,000 into lockers, gears, skids, sliders, bumpers, winch, tires, and rims...and have a vehicle that gets in the vicinity of a stock 4 door wrangler rubicon as far as trail chops are concerned...except with the land cruiser it’d also be comfortable and reliable enough to appreciate a cross country trip.

however, at that point, from a long term life perspective, you might be better suited hiring a personal trainer, getting in the best shape of your life, and hiking or mountain biking those same trails you would otherwise drive your car across.
You can also make the argument that you can build a monster Rubi for $18k plus the cost difference between Rubi and LC. That monster Rubi will be equally comfy with the best suspension money can buy and be as capable as a mountain goat. It may not be as reliable but in the back you will have extra parts from that price difference. :D

Guys. Comparing a bone stock LC to a bone stock 2dr Rubi. with an inexperienced operator. Inexperienced meaning no experience in truly technical trails.
The original poster asked about bone stock. While all the things being posted are interesting, aftermarket parts availability and how capable they are when built is irrelevant when comparing a bone stock Land Cruiser to a bone stock Jeep.

But then again, maybe I misunderstood what he meant, since apparently I have a reading comprehension problem (according to the OP's earlier derogatory comments).

The original poster asked about bone stock. While all the things being posted are interesting, aftermarket parts availability and how capable they are when built is irrelevant when comparing a bone stock Land Cruiser to a bone stock Jeep.

But then again, maybe I misunderstood what he meant, since apparently I have a reading comprehension problem (according to the OP's earlier derogatory comments).
Rubicon 392 bone stock is a monster…something that will distance itself from the upcoming Bronco...and pretty much every off-roader out there, maybe even the upcoming electrics. There is no way a stock LC can keep up or be even competitive with Rubicon 392 over any off-road terrain.

FULL-time 4wd. Lockers galore. 730 RTI. 33” KO2 on beadlock rims with lifted FOX suspension. 0-60 in 4.5 sec. Dual mode exhaust.

Now, having Rubi 392 AND LC would be any person’s wet dream….

Last edited:
I had a 13 Rubi that was stock for a week lol. Nobody keeps a Jeep stock, nor should they. The suspension sucks, the lights are worthless, and there is soooooo much out there to make them capable that ya just gotta. That being said, after I dumped $15k into the damn thing with a metalcloak lift, 35's, linex insterior, lights galore, etc. the damn thing had so many electrical problems I didn't trust it to go very deep down trails as I was worried it would break down and cost a fortune to get towed. There is a limit as to what the LC can do and that limit is a lot lower than a Jeep, but the more you do to that Jeep to get it more capable the more you will sacrifice every day driving. Get em both and modify the crap outa the Jeep, just don't go alone and make friends with a good mechanic.

Rubicon 392 bone stock is a monster…something that will distance itself from the upcoming Bronco...and pretty much every off-roader out there, maybe even the upcoming electrics. There is no way a stock LC can keep up or be even competitive with Rubicon 392 over any off-road terrain.

FULL-time 4wd. Lockers galore. 730 RTI. 33” KO2 on headlock rims with lifted FOX suspension. 0-60 in 4.5 sec. Dual mode exhaust.

It would make a great “fun” addition. I need an even bigger garage now. 🤣 This Jeep is pretty sweet and take it over a Bronco any day of the week. Personally think the Bronco looks wimpy and pathetic. I saw one in person two weeks ago...no thanks!

FULL-time 4wd. Lockers galore. 730 RTI. 33” KO2 on headlock rims with lifted FOX suspension. 0-60 in 4.5 sec. Dual mode exhaust.

Now it can get worse fuel economy than the LC stock and it'll tick really loudly too lol.

"Starts" at $75K, that's madness.

Interesting topic. I built a 2 door and a 4 door JK Rubicon. 35's on the 2dr and 37's on the 4dr. I'd say my LC will go anywhere I'd want to go in Colorado/Utah type area that I was going to sightsee or otherwise just enjoy the trip. The jeep is more to me for making the trip difficult....going to Moab just to do trails to nowhere that are really difficult just for sake of being difficult. I don't really enjoy bashing up my jeep or LC just for the sake of seeing if my rig can do it.
After driving jeeps on the road, I can say I'd rather be in the LC just about 95% of the time. Sure top down and doors off is fun for a bit on a perfect day, but the LC (or 4runner) is just so much of a better vehicle for just about anything other than the ridiculous OHV trails and such. I never needed lockers or rarely even 4wd on my Jeeps when campling, exploring, or otherwise just getting somewhere.

Jeeps are fun to build and modify and uniquely fun for open air driving. Stock for stock to me is LC or 4r all day long. 95% of the capability (or more) and sooo much more livable on the street and Toyota vs Chrysler reliability. Its easy to rent a jeep in the big areas like Moab which the way I'll likely experience them in the future.

Last edited:
I've lived in Breck for 25 years, feel free to ask any questions about the area. Rising Sun is the Denver landcruiser club and you can check out their forum online. There are loads of old mining roads and trails around the state that are pretty wide open. But there are lots of trails that are TIGHT with bushes and branches. You will end up with pinstriping down the sides of your vehicle. I would buy something that is a little used so you don't get upset with pinstripes, or you can buy something new and shine it up for Main street.

Even the Wrangler 392 is kind of half assed. No one runs a Hemi in a Jeep without upgrading the axles. The AWD and 33s is Jeep's attempt at preventing the Hemi from blowing up the driveline. It should come with 35 spline Dana 60s w/ 4.88 ARB lockers front and rear and 37s. Which is another $20,000.

At the end of the day, a 200 isn't going to be a crawler and a Jeep isn't going to be a good overlander. The OP should keep his cruiser and buy a JLR, stick some 35s on it and have fun. That'd be a fun 4x4 for that area.

moffit.jpg

Yeah that is kinda insane money For a Wrangler. But the Bronco loaded comes around $65-70k i think. Insane Prices.
I priced out a Badlands Bronco with just about every option. Came to right around $60k.

I’d take a Power Wagon over a rubi any day of the week. In fact if there weren’t so many single track trails here in the PNW I would have done so already :)

I loved the capability and looks of my Power Wagon but there was constantly something wrong, I sent it on down the road in short order. Very similar experiences with every single Jeep I've owned as well.

PUeuszc.jpg

fuWXvSy.jpg

rNRAGJi.jpg

TjUtgni.jpg

I loved the capability and looks of my Power Wagon but there was constantly something wrong, I sent it on down the road in short order. Very similar experiences with every single Jeep I've owned as well.

PUeuszc.jpg

fuWXvSy.jpg

rNRAGJi.jpg

TjUtgni.jpg

Don't hurt me like that Tex. You're ruining the fantasy!

At least for me, i don’t see the draw of Power Wagon. Too damn big for pretty much any trail…yet towing is compromised by the soft suspension. So, it is neither there nor here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom