What sensor is beneath the oil pump seal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am doing some PM before my son takes possession of the 80 permanently, and I have some leaks I'm dealing with. One appears to be probably the oil pump seal and I've read the posts about how to handle that.

But just beneath that area, on the bottom of the engine, is a small bracket/shield that appears to be covering a sensor, because a wire (I think) comes out of it, and runs along under the shield diagonally towards the PS of the engine, and then heads up the block somewhere. I thought this might be the oil pressure sender, but it doesn't appear so. Anyone know?

My leak is putting oil drops right on the covering bracket, so Im wondering if its a sensor, or what, and if there is a gasket or O ring.

Probably the crank position sensor. Have you checked the FSM? Let me know if you need me to check it out.

-B-

It is the crank position sensor. Toyota (at least in the past) did not sell the seal for this sensor, you have to buy the new sensor to get the seal. Special 0-ring with wings to seal against the flange. I have tried many different sealants as well to keep leaks and cost down. I have not been able to find any sealant that does the trick well.

Yes, I now see with your help that it is the crankshaft position sensor, and on my EPC it does not show a gasket or O ring separately that I see. Looks like the CPS itself costs about $100 with the discount.

I also see that there is what appears to be a "Plug" that screws into the oil pan from thte front, parallel to the ground ( I think it has a hex head on it) that the chart shows with an O ring, but which is simply described by the EPC as "standard part". I'm also getting an oil drop just below this, and I wonder if its probably leaking too.

In any case, I have a call to make to Dan in a few minutes. I think I'm also going to order the gasket for the oil level sensor, since my area there is pretty oily too, and it does have a gasket.

Thanks for the assistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom