What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (34 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last Sunday i did the passenger side valve cover seal. Easy. Today i tackled the drivers side. Holy crap, i was so intimated with all the hoses etc but the thing that really tested my patience and my back was getting to the four lower valve cover bolts. Made it more challenging because i still have my AHC intact so having to get around that wasn’t fun. And the last bolt closest to the firewall was something else. I’m glad it’s over and if i did everything right I will not have to worry about it for another 150k miles. The seals i replaced were original and at 188k miles they were more plastic than rubber.

on another note can i get the part number for the hose for PCV valve? My house is pretty much toast

IMG_7024.jpeg
Installed some new lights using Ben3D printed bracket. Super easy to install, and anything electrical I struggle with lol. Going to take some more pictures here soon

Last Sunday i did the passenger side valve cover seal. Easy. Today i tackled the drivers side. Holy crap, i was so intimated with all the hoses etc but the thing that really tested my patience and my back was getting to the four lower valve cover bolts. Made it more challenging because i still have my AHC intact so having to get around that wasn’t fun. And the last bolt closest to the firewall was something else. I’m glad it’s over and if i did everything right I will not have to worry about it for another 150k miles. The seals i replaced were original and at 188k miles they were more plastic than rubber.

on another note can i get the part number for the hose for PCV valve? My house is pretty much toast
You can choose the hose alone, or all of the components and clips…

After 2 refunds from 2 companies, I guess I’m swapping one UCA with a 555 and rebuilding the other. Thought I was going to score big time on 555 arms at $75 each, with buyer protection for money back guaranteed, why not roll the dice? I got one in super fast, but the other never showed. Got a refund about 10 days later and grabbed the left side again from another retailer, only to be refunded within 4 hours citing “the last one in stock is damaged and we cannot fulfill shipment with damaged goods.” Such is life on eBay I suppose.
Yesterday I ordered the last package from the guys at Cruiserteq and then onto beginning 300k front refresh!
1 rebuilt UCA
1 new UCA
New outer TREs
Koyo wheel bearings
555 LBJs
New LCA bushings
Random hub bits

Officially became a hundy owner Tuesday. Picked up the LX in Denver and within 15 hours had driven it 1000 miles straight to a buddies place in SoCal.

Fantastic highway cruiser, and for all the gloom and doom everyone here has on the fuel economy, I averaged 17.6 at an average speed of 76. Of course when I get back home the stock size highway tires will be the first to go...

Only thing I noticed looking it over that I didn't like were some tell-tale red crusties on one of the heater T's. Thankfully I came prepared with new aluminum ones. (RockAuto has the Autotecnica ones for $10 each btw) Good thing I did because one of the factory ones wasn't long for this world. Huge stack of maintenance history but nothing on the T's so I'm sure they were original.

Girlfriend is flying in Sunday and we'll start a nice road trip back to the East Coast. Nothing exciting planned for this once I get home, a good baseline, toss the running boards, 275/70/18's, get the AHC pressures dialed in (although it rides extremely nice as is) and maybe a tiny sensor lift. It rides and drives too nice to want to do anything more.

IMG_20240419_145000856_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240419_144915741_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240418_174736236_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240419_145048145_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240418_184140007.jpg

Got a bit carried away while adding "a few" tie down points to my drawers. I ended up also replacing the piano hinges I had used for euro cabinet hinges and sprayed the top with 2K Raptor Liner. Just finished putting this all back together today and I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out.

Next is to finally get around to finishing the drawer faces and replacing a bunch of rusty bolts.

IMG_3210.jpeg

IMG_3212.jpeg

IMG_3211.jpeg

Huge improvement from this:
IMG_3170.jpeg

Its been a sad long 3 months for me.
My old girl was coming up to the 400,000 big service. Had it all booked in on the Tues for new timing belt and water pump replacement. $2.5k that I didn't really have, but neither did I have the time or space to do these things myself.
On the Saturday before driving down the highway and hear a funny clunk, things dont feel right, engine start doing some funky stuff. Switch it off LPG onto petrol, settles down for a couple of minutes, while I manage to find somewhere to pull over. Open up the bonnet and its like in the movies with steam pissing out.

Get it towed to the nearest 4x4 mechanic. Lots of Patrols parked out front should have been thr first warning. Compression looks okay, starts up, he is thinking it might not be too bad. Does the major service, replaces the radiator, replaces the water pump that was cactus (the cause of it all), puts it all back together, charges me $4k, and there is still coolant blowing out the exhaust. Quotes me $15k for an engine swap.

After the defibrillator manages to restart my heart, I say no thanks. Tow it across Melbourne to my go to mechanic. His opinion is that its easiser to do a engine swap than a rebuild, so thr last guy just wanted to make easy coin. My guy strips the engine, heads were banana-ed but could be remachined, new valves, springs, shimmed for LPG on the exhaust, new coils and spark plugs. Basically a full engine block up rebuild. Still cost me $7.5k, but she should be good for the next 20yrs I think.

Got her back last weekend, and put on 1000km in the first few days. Its so nice to have it back and I'm glad I spent thr $11k rather than spend $11k on a boring souless ute.

And I swear its got at least 10 more horsepower... Ive gotta believe that!

Did the flush 2 weeks ago and today i replaced power steering reservoir and double clamped the hoses back on. Pretty i sure it had a hairline crack in it from careless wrenching around it while doing suspension work previously. The long protruding nipples from the reservoir are great for fitting hoses but are also somewhat fragile.
20240420_152916.jpg

20240420_153720.jpg

ps flush.jpg

Also, with the help of a friend, replaced the tensioner assembly - old one broke off on the body of the tensioner.
IMG-20240420-WA0009(1).jpg

The baselining slowly progresses...

Very rainy here today, so I got after a few easy jobs I wanted to get done.

07 LX - replaced the factory washer nozzles with the Duralast misting type. Big improvement. Also adjusted the driver side headlight alignment- it was pointed too far right.

00 LC - replaced the UBJ with new SPC 25002s. These had 90k miles on them, and probably could have gone quite a bit longer, but they were getting a bit of play, and given I go solo in the back country a fair amount, I’m cautious. Very easy job. Getting aligned as I type, but I’d guess it’s good to go.

IMG_8070.jpeg

IMG_8069.jpeg

IMG_8071.jpeg

IMG_8072.jpeg

IMG_8073.jpeg

Nice, so while you guys fixed things up, I had some fun: Hollister SVRA.
Regarding “full compression” see pic 4 ^^

IMG_8321.png

IMG_8323.png

IMG_8324.png

IMG_8325.png

IMG_8281.jpeg

Installed ARB compressor and 9100, doing a little work each evening for the past couple of weeks. I used the Slee 2nd battery tray for the SaftyHub 150, and a leftover piece of aluminum from another mounting kit, to mount the junction box for the switch leads. The 9100 is mounted to the insider fender. I originally had the wire for dimming the switch panel going inside the cab, but I drive with my lights on a lot, and didn't want it dimmed in the daytime. Since I wasn’t going to use all of the switches, I ran the dimming wire through switch #1, so I can adjust the dimming manually.

Screenshot 2024-04-21 073839.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom