Weird clunk noise from my motor. Piston slap? Rod knock? Exhaust manifold leak? Who’s to say? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2001 LX with 283,000 miles. It has developed a strange clunking noise coming from somewhere on the passenger side bank of the engine.

It had a misfire on cylinders 2, 4, 6 and 8 (the same bank that the clunking is coming from) that I didn’t know was happening until I brought it to the shop trying to find out why it was running so rough. That was when I discovered that the previous owner had disconnected the check engine light. So they probably knew about the misfire and disconnected it so they could sell it. I know the light isn’t burnt out because they pulled the wire that powers it.

I replaced the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets, and that took care of the misfire and most of the rough idle. It still idles a little rough but it’s much better now. I was hoping that the clunking was coming from a mistimed detonation and would be solved with the gasket job, but it persists.

The clunking noise is rhythmic and keeps time with the engine rpms but sometimes skips a beat or a few. The clunking noise occurs at idle in park and neutral but stops at idle in gear. It also clunks under acceleration up to around 2500rpms and when you let off the gas.

Since doing the gasket job a couple days ago, the first time I start the engine for the day it chugs and splutters and chokes itself out two or three times before starting very reluctantly and running very rough for 30 seconds to a minute. After that every time I start the engine for the rest of the day it fires right up smoothly on the first try, even if it’s been sitting for hours and has gotten cold.

I’m going to try cleaning the MAF sensor to see if that helps the startup issue. Spark plugs and fuel filter are about a year old.

I made a Reddit post with a video:

It’s kinda hard to hear in the video the clunking over the valves, fan and injectors, but if you listen closely it’s there

Anyone have a clue what’s happening?

Hard to identify what you are referring to, but if it's the occasional metallic sound, it seemed to me to be coming from the bell housing maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom