Weed Trimmer Selection (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The classification of Home Owner, Ocasional User and Commercial User gets kind of complicated in the Outdoor Power Equipment world.

Here is the way a German Engineer sees the world if you were talking about earth moving equipment.

A commercial unit is about equal to a D6H bull dozer.

An occasional user would be the the 4x4 Extend-a-Hoe fully enclosed cab backhoe with a 4:1 bucket.

An homeowner user would be a Bobcat Skid steer.

This mentality can be seen when yuou look at the UniMog being the "occasional farmers friend in the field".

A 85hp 4x4 Kubota or a 5100 series John Deer tractor is a "Homeowner model".

The FS 56 is an occasional use unit. That means it is not designed to run 8 hours a day, five days a week for 5 years like the FS 90 or the other "commercial" units.

The classification of Home Owner, Ocasional User and Commercial User gets kind of complicated in the Outdoor Power Equipment world.

Here is the way a German Engineer sees the world if you were talking about earth moving equipment.

A commercial unit is about equal to a D6H bull dozer.

An occasional user would be the the 4x4 Extend-a-Hoe fully enclosed cab backhoe with a 4:1 bucket.

An homeowner user would be a Bobcat Skid steer.

This mentality can be seen when yuou look at the UniMog being the "occasional farmers friend in the field".

A 85hp 4x4 Kubota or a 5100 series John Deer tractor is a "Homeowner model".

The FS 56 is an occasional use unit. That means it is not designed to run 8 hours a day, five days a week for 5 years like the FS 90 or the other "commercial" units.

interesting useful analogy

OK, I don't need it to run 8/5 for sure. But I need some oomph. And I'd like it to work for 10 years or more reliably the 2 or 3 days a year I'd be using it.

I see the 56 is $240 DSRP vs $300 for the 90, say.
Is the 90 more than 25% (as in the price difference) better than the 56, so to speak? Cuz I'll forget the $60 more before too long so if the unit is way better, may be worth getting the better one? Or is this way overkill?

and still intrigued by the pole cutter attachment idea. unclear from the stihl web site if the 56 can handle that.

isn't there also a way to attach accessories at the end of a regular shafted trimmer (not the Kombi type)? I saw that on the Stihl site someplace, but it was unclear (to me) if that would work with the regular 56.

if so, what is the better / cheaper? way to go if one does not need to switch attachments every day? KM or regular?

e, dude, no offense, but he already told you what to get. He kind of knows his stuff. If you really want to spend more money then fine, but he answered your question.

e, dude, no offense, but he already told you what to get. He kind of knows his stuff. If you really want to spend more money then fine, but he answered your question.

Junk, Junk, Junk...Eric is an engineer. Nuf said. :flipoff2:

Stihl
I've the 80 2-cycle and the 250 4-cycle trimmers. As good as it gets!

for those wondering, if any (not Junk evidently:D):

called a dealer and was told that the pole pruner attachment (regular, not Kombi) can fit at the end of the straight shafted wackers, incl. 56. No idea if that's a better way to go than the Kombi.

Drive down to the two dealerships in your town and look at them.

See which one you like and which one you are comfortable with.

The KM has a quick attach for the attachments, Loosen one wing nut and swap attachments.

The "unbolt the gearbox and bolt a different gearbox/attachment on" gets old.

Spend the money on an FS 90. I used mine today after my lawn tractor imploded. I cut a nice size chunk of pasture, along the fence lines and around the outbuildings with mine locked open at WOT for probably 2+ hours. It is a great piece of equipment. Easy to change out the line, enough power, starts easily, and when it eventually quits, parts will be available to rebuild it.

learned something else new... (sigh, I thought I was too old for that...):

according to my friendly Stihl dealer, you should preferably (only?) use attachments like a pole pruner saw on solid axle (the inner moving thing) wackers, not cable. That does make sense intuitively actually. Of course, I didn't know some wackers came with solid axles. So there.
Likely why D' suggested the 90 over the 80 above?

OTOH, it didn't look like changing the attachments on a non-Kombi unit would be that bad if done once a day, say. Maybe all of a minute?

Old thread I know. Quick question though...

In need of a weed wacker. My neighbor has Shindaiwa T270. He landscapes/maintains for a living and actually just bought a Stihl, so may sell his old Shindaiwa. I borrowed it this weekend. Runs awesome, seems well built, and great for my small yard.

So any thoughts on these Shindaiwas other than the couple comments made? or just go with a Stihl.

Old thread I know. Quick question though...

In need of a weed wacker. My neighbor has Shindaiwa T270. He landscapes/maintains for a living and actually just bought a Stihl, so may sell his old Shindaiwa. I borrowed it this weekend. Runs awesome, seems well built, and great for my small yard.

So any thoughts on these Shindaiwas other than the couple comments made? or just go with a Stihl.

when I was at my local power tool dealer, I asked about the difference between Stihl and Shindaiwa quality and price wise. The answer I got was sort of like the Shind. are much more expensive for close to the same thing. No idea if that's true or not.

when I was at my local power tool dealer, I asked about the difference between Stihl and Shindaiwa quality and price wise. The answer I got was sort of like the Shind. are much more expensive for close to the same thing. No idea if that's true or not.

:hmm: Interesting. They seem to get great reviews, and probably overkill for my needs, but used.... and on the cheaper side may not be a bad deal.

Alright, I'll bite. Stihl recommendation for a guy with a small suburban yard?

Alright, I'll bite. Stihl recommendation for a guy with a small suburban yard?

Watch your local Craigslist for a FS-90/80. I picked my FS90 up for $150 and it was barely used. Way higher quality than the Echo-2100 it replaced.

Here's one that could be had for $150......
http://spokane.craigslist.org/grd/1936833862.html

My theory is 'buy something that will last a lifetime'.

Buy that t270.

I had been looking for used t25s, t270s and t260s, which are almost impossible to find in good condition since they don't make them any more. Recently found a new t260 at a local dealer that i picked up, very happy with it. After using a hand me down "old worn out" t230 for heavy duty residential trimming and brush cutting for 6 years that had been used commercially for 2-3 years previously, I'm a believer in the Shins. I would have liked to get the t270, but they are tough to find.

Sthil was second on my list, but I had to jump on that Shindaiwa. Plus the Speedfeed head is frickin sweet.

Oh really?

https://forum.ih8mud.com/mud-bay-mi...fornia-hand-held-outdoor-power-equipment.html

Buy that t270.

I had been looking for used t25s, t270s and t260s, which are almost impossible to find in good condition since they don't make them any more. Recently found a new t260 at a local dealer that i picked up, very happy with it. After using a hand me down "old worn out" t230 for heavy duty residential trimming and brush cutting for 6 years that had been used commercially for 2-3 years previously, I'm a believer in the Shins. I would have liked to get the t270, but they are tough to find.

Sthil was second on my list, but I had to jump on that Shindaiwa. Plus the Speedfeed head is frickin sweet.

Lol, "I have several like new pieces of hand held outdoor power equipment that I need to sell." Wow.

Sorry D'animal, I didn't know about your stash. You don't happen to have a handheld blower buried somewhere do you?

Out of curiosity, how do the t272's compare to the 260's and 270's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom