Weed Trimmer Selection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cube Dweller

Threads
Just bought a house with an acre lot. Most of the yard is full of weeds and there's no electrical power in the pasture, so I'm going to purchase a gas powered weed trimmer. I was surprised to notice there's now 4 cycle trimmers available, which is appealing on the surface, but I may be biased because the last 2 stroke trimmer I owned was a PITA to start.

So, recommendations? I'm willing to spend a bit more for a tool that will last a long time and is rebuildable.

Husqvarna makes a good weed wacker. I got one about six years ago to add to my Husky stable and it's still going strong.

I really like my Stihl FS 80 trimmer. It is very easy to start and has lots of power. If you get a Stihl, you help keep a fellow mudder (D'Animal) employed and you get first class support as well as a great product. Whatever you get, I recommend a locally owned dealer. The high end stuff is usually price controlled so you pay the same price at a big box store vs a locally owned business.

I won't buy anything but Stihl from now on. I have a crappy POS Craftsman that I'm gonna be selling cheap on craigslist soon, then it's off to the local Stihl dealer to see what they have. I bought a new blower last Fall, really like it. Get one with the "Easy Start" feature, very nice.

I have been very happy with my Stihl FS90R. It's on the low end of the HP range (1.25ish) for a commercial trimmer but it is big enough to run most of the attachments. I use the Powersweep attachment for what little snow as we get in KS and it worked great at the grass drags up north. The torque of the 4 stroke is dam amazing for such a small power unit.

We switched to Stihl at my landscaping business. From Echo. Far and away better. Even the cheapest Stihl is better than the others.

The only exception to that would be Honda, but I did'nt want to risk losing expensive Honda trimmers.

I woud recomend a STIHL.

Do you want to run attachments such as?

Hedge Trimmer
Tiller/Cultivator
Edger
Sweeper
Dethatcher
Pole Saw

If not, get an FS80. If you do want to run attachments some day, go with the FS 90.

Bar Hein and Bliss are your best choices. They both have good service and they battle to beat each others price. Citrus Height mower is also a good choice. S & G will probably have to order it but they have top notch service.

See that ??

We have Cruiserdan, our resident Toyota God, and D'Animal, our resident Sthil God. I think we are covered.

I woud recomend a STIHL.

Do you want to run attachments such as?

Hedge Trimmer
Tiller/Cultivator
Edger
Sweeper
Dethatcher
Pole Saw

If not, get an FS80. If you do want to run attachments some day, go with the FS 90.

Bar Hein and Bliss are your best choices. They both have good service and they battle to beat each others price. Citrus Height mower is also a good choice. S & G will probably have to order it but they have top notch service.

thanks Dan. The pretty much universal reply of Stihl to this thread convinced me :) I think Citrus Heights Mower is closest to me.

I have a 4 stroke Honda trimmer -- it works fine. No experience with the others although all are well regarded. Also had a man tell me (when I bought the Honda) to look at Shindaiwa ... hadn't heard of them before but well regarded IF there is a service depot near you.

Individual experience is a funny thing - my Echo chain saw at home starts much easier than my Stihl at the farm - I think they have both had a similar miserable life of abuse from me.... based on that - a man might conclude that the Echo is a pretty good saw:)

PS Weedhopper - thanks for the tip on the Gould -- in my ignorance I had not heard of them and they certainly look like the way to go..thanks

another happy Stihl weed wacker owner...

[QUOTE=AJP
PS Weedhopper - thanks for the tip on the Gould -- in my ignorance I had not heard of them and they certainly look like the way to go..thanks

You need to go to a good plumbing supply house to get it. They will walk you thru the process. Have a blast !!

Hijack completed... Carry on.

Be sure to change the oil in your Honda. I think the owners manual says something like every 12 or 15 hours of operation. It takse about a shot glass of oil, 2.8 oz or something like that. Most commercial companies change oil every week in them.

I have a 4 stroke Honda trimmer -- it works fine. No experience with the others although all are well regarded. Also had a man tell me (when I bought the Honda) to look at Shindaiwa ... hadn't heard of them before but well regarded IF there is a service depot near you

Shindaiwa T25's are hard to beat. They were an industry leader until they quit making them in 1995. The newer stuff does not last liek the old stuff does.

I picked up the FS90 a few weeks ago and am really pleased by it so far. Wish I would have gotten a Shihl saw instead of the husky 455 that I got a few years ago. Will likely try to trade it in at some point.

I'm going to look at the Stihl too. Both cuz D' is around and cuz CR gave them the highest rating seal of approval a number of times... (Mostly the former of course :D).

D':

I got about 1/2 - 3/4 acre to do a couple of times a year, with some stiff tallish stuff to cut (for a line, I don't dare to use the blade). both tall grass and oats (2 or 3 ft tall) and some nasty weeds with thick (1/2") stems. I need some power, well at least for a homeowner. Would like it to work for a while. Current brushwacker is a biggish Craftsman 32cc 2 stroke with heavy line and it struggles a bit in some stuff.

What model should I look at?

I saw some models with quick attachment of accessories. Worth it? I would not change more than once every day or less.

Tempted by the pole saw attachment. Do they work well?

Last edited:
The KM 56 or FS 56 would suit your needs. We launched it in Jan and have had 0 warranty claims on them. I'm generally reluctant to recomend something until it has proven itself in the marketplace. I run the prototypes for up to 2 years before they ever go to market.

Look at the PolyCut head while you are in the store. That is all we use on my 7 acres to cut brush. No metal blades here.

"STIHL PolyCut™
The STIHL PolyCut™ is a multi-purpose cutting tool with three thermoplastic blades. Some models can also be fitted with up to .130" diameter flexible nylon line. It is ideal for lawn trimming or cutting close to walls and fences, around trees or between shrubs. The nylon line is particularly suitable for low grass. The thermoplastic blades can be used for mowing high-growing grass."

56? I'm feeling insignificant... :)

Is that serious enough to handle tough stuff? I've got these nasty fibrous woodsy thick stemmed stuff and ivy, it's not just short grass and clover.

plus, can you put the nifty attachments on those? (If I can ever afford one)

I don't think this Polycut thing would last long. Got too many rocks.

Last edited:
Here is what you have "I got about 1/2 - 3/4 acre to do a couple of times a year"

My front yard is bigger than that and then I have 6 1/2 more acres. Wife uses a Prototype unit for half of the property and then switches to an FS 130. She very seldom gets the FS 550 out.

The Polycut heads have three flail blades made of polymer (plastic). They were down but do not create sparks when you hit them on rocks. The ploycut blades cut everything that line will cut but will do it 10 times faster.

They will cut green western yellow star thistle. They have very little trouble cutting dead western yellow star thistle.

Here is what you have "I got about 1/2 - 3/4 acre to do a couple of times a year"

My front yard is bigger than that and then I have 6 1/2 more acres. Wife uses a Prototype unit for half of the property and then switches to an FS 130. She very seldom gets the FS 550 out.

The Polycut heads have three flail blades made of polymer (plastic). They were down but do not create sparks when you hit them on rocks. The ploycut blades cut everything that line will cut but will do it 10 times faster.

They will cut green western yellow star thistle. They have very little trouble cutting dead western yellow star thistle.

OK, interesting. I take it the 56 would be plenty for me, then. Labeled as occasional user IIRC. Usually that means light duty. Think it'll be long lasting? Attachments?

I just have a hard time believing a polymer blade would last long when hitting a rock at 1000 rpm (or whatever it is). It doesn't instantly reduce itself to a stub? If not, I should definitely try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom