Warn MX8000 enough? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There's a guy selling an MX8000 that seems to be in decent shape for $300. Would that be enough for my LX or should I try to find a 12000 lb winch?

Also, for testing it to make sure it works, do I just hook it up to the battery and see if it spools?

Bump...

1588533523313.png

Usually recommend a 9500lb winch for our 100s. 12000lb is overkill IMO. An 8000lb can work, but you'll want to run a snatch block and winch extension at all times. The snatch block effectively doubles your line pull capacity (8000 becomes 16000) and the winch extension gains back the loss of line length since your looping back to your own rig.

Is your GVW under 6700?

Yeah, empty it weighs about 6000.

Sorry, my google-fu was failing me :/ I was also looking to see if anyone would comment on the MX8000 for $300.

Usually recommend a 9500lb winch for our 100s. 12000lb is overkill IMO. An 8000lb can work, but you'll want to run a snatch block and winch extension at all times. The snatch block effectively doubles your line pull capacity (8000 becomes 16000) and the winch extension gains back the loss of line length since your looping back to your own rig.

Thank you, I'm not sure I can pass up the price to at least have a winch. I will look into the snatch block and extension. EDIT: Would a 3'' recovery strap work for an extension/tree protector?

Thank you, I'm not sure I can pass up the price to at least have a winch. I will look into the snatch block and extension. EDIT: Would a 3'' recovery strap work for an extension/tree protector?

You would want an 8-10 foot dedicated tree strap. They are generally 3" wide, yes.

Ideally, you would carry 1 tree strap, 1 recovery/winch extension strap and 1 snatch strap. The tree strap can double as a bridle as well. The recovery/winch extension strap is the same as a tow strap. They are static in length with zero stretch to them. You could use it as a tree strap in a pinch, but you'd want to put something between the strap and the bark of the tree to protect the strap itself. The snatch strap or kinetic energy strap is used to "snatch" vehicles out of seriously stuck scenarios. Those are the straps you see where the snatching vehicle gets a running start on a slack line which builds up kinetic energy in the strap to "snatch" the stuck vehicle out. Those straps stretch significantly and reduce shock loads on both the snatching and snatched vehicles. Absolutely should have at least 1 and preferably 2 damper blankets for safety. Though, you could throw a heavy jacket over the line in a pinch.

My kit contains a 10' tree strap, 30' snatch strap and 60' winch extension/tow strap. All are rated well above my GVW. I carry 4 shackles, 2 snatch blocks and 3 damper blankets. I also carry a pair of good, thick leather gloves. They are good to have with synthetic lines and a MUST have with steel braided lines.

Here's one of the best videos I've seen on various winch rigging techniques. Ronnie is a super knowledgeable dude.

Here's one of his videos on how to respool the winch line. Very important to understand this.

For $300 you can get a brand new 12000lbs winch from Harbor Freight (that is a clone of a Warn winch).

Agree if you’re a “need it once a year” guy like 99.9% of us, the badlands gets the job done. That being said an 8k with a snatch block would be ok.

There's a guy selling an MX8000 that seems to be in decent shape for $300. Would that be enough for my LX or should I try to find a 12000 lb winch?

Also, for testing it to make sure it works, do I just hook it up to the battery and see if it spools?

I'm not familiar with the MX8000, and don't know if it shares any parts with the M8000. The nice thing about Warn winches is that you can usually still get parts, even for long discontinued models. It is probably a little undersized, for a portly 100 series. If you're going to refresh/rebuild/update it, you may not wind up quite as far ahead as you think. The upper end Warn winches, could be considered the "Land Cruiser" of winches, but is that what you need, and is an undersized Warn better than a properly sized "Just Another Chinese Winch"?

You may want to post your question in this subforum:

For $300 you can get a brand new 12000lbs winch from Harbor Freight (that is a clone of a Warn winch).

The Harbor Freight winch is available for a heck of a price, and it might be appropriate for those that rarely use their winch. I have a problem buying a winch from what I consider the "one use Chinese tool store", but others may not have that issue. Calling it a Warn "clone" seems a bit of a stretch, and would imply at least some sort of parts interchangeability.

Last edited:
IMO, for $300, I'd just buy a Smittybilt 9500lb with a synthetic line. I don't put any value in the Warn brand- too many stories of "uncharacteristic failure" to justify the price. I've yet to hear of a failure with a Smittybilt, and even if there was, the warranty is good and I could even buy another for less overall than a comparable Warn.

I've used mine many times in the year and a half it's been in my truck and it's been great. I can't make sense of buying an under-powered winch, used, just because of the Warn name on it. You're out the cost of an adequately powered unit, with none of the warranty, and still running a steel line. Sounds like an overall lose, IMO.

The Harbor Freight winch is available for a heck of a price, and it might be appropriate for those that rarely use their winch. I have a problem buying a winch from what I consider the "one use Chinese tool store", but others may not have that issue. Calling it a Warn "clone" seems a bit of a stretch, and would imply at least some sort of parts interchangeability.
The parts are interchangeable. Warn sources their parts from China and their new winches are fully made in China. The duty cycle is exactly the same etc etc. I have lots of HF tools I have used for years and some that broke on day one. We can all make these decisions for ourselves.

Little bit of confusion to clear up. the harbor freight 12000 is a mile marker clone. HF hired the former mile marker engineers to design their winches when they came out with the badlands winches a few years ago. I've owned a badlands 12000 and several warns.
The parts are interchangeable. Warn sources their parts from China and their new winches are fully made in China. The duty cycle is exactly the same etc etc. I have lots of HF tools I have used for years and some that broke on day one. We can all make these decisions for ourselves.
There is nothing similar or interchangeable between the two. The build quality is not comparable.

Warn sources some parts for their US assembled winches, made with primarily US made products from in house or other US sources, from foreign sources. They have always used motors from a Brazilian manufacturer. Other than the VR line, the rest of the gears and housings are made in Oregon.

The warn VR line is their budget line (and copies of their M8/XD9 classic wincheshttps://www.warn.com/truck-suv-winches-classic ). They are made with some cheaper finishes in a factory that only makes the warn product to their specifications. I have a VR10000 and used it instead of the smittybilt 9500 I had because the smitty seemed cheap in comparision when I took them apart to clock the housings to install in an ARB bumper on the 100. I'm sure the sub $300 cheaper winches will work fine for most people who rarely use them. My warn VR will go on my wrangler next when I buy a warn zeon.

Reactions: jLB
The parts are interchangeable.

Do you have anything that would substantiate this claim?

Warn sources their parts from China

If you had inserted the word "some", I'd agree.

their new winches are fully made in China.

If you had used the word "some" or specified Warn's VR models, I'd agree.

The duty cycle is exactly the same etc etc.

The same as the VR12? The same as the M12? The same as the Zeon12?

I have lots of HF tools I have used for years and some that broke on day one.

Same here.

We can all make these decisions for ourselves.

Yes, I agree, but it helps when the decision is based on facts, instead of Internet rumors and half truths.

Before you classify me as one of those "If you buy a winch, it must be Warn guys", while I have owned Warn winches in the past, (long before the Chinese winch invasion) , on my last 2 projects, I've been unable to justify using US made Warn winches, based on cost, and my expected usage, I purchased Chinese winches instead :oops:.

Last edited:
I based it on the Warn 8000lbs winch I bought for $100, of $150, I can't remember. It was a pile of parts in a box and I used a YouTube video of disassembly of a Badlands winch to guide me through reassembling it and if they aren't exactly the same they are the same basic design. At least close enough that you can reassemble a Warn based on watching someone else assemble a Badland...

Reactions: jLB
I based it on the Warn 8000lbs winch I bought for $100, of $150, I can't remember. It was a pile of parts in a box and I used a YouTube video of disassembly of a Badlands winch to guide me through reassembling it and if they aren't exactly the same they are the same basic design. At least close enough that you can reassemble a Warn based on watching someone else assemble a Badland...

I'd agree with "same basic design" as some of the older solenoid based Warn winches, or at least similar enough to reassemble one from the other's instructions.

IMO, for $300, I'd just buy a Smittybilt 9500lb with a synthetic line. I don't put any value in the Warn brand- too many stories of "uncharacteristic failure" to justify the price. I've yet to hear of a failure with a Smittybilt, and even if there was, the warranty is good and I could even buy another for less overall than a comparable Warn.

I've used mine many times in the year and a half it's been in my truck and it's been great. I can't make sense of buying an under-powered winch, used, just because of the Warn name on it. You're out the cost of an adequately powered unit, with none of the warranty, and still running a steel line. Sounds like an overall lose, IMO.
I looked at the 9500 smittybilt, but the amazon reviews are a horror show. Gotta take it with a grain of salt of course, but it has me concerned.

One thought I had is if I do end up getting this MX8000, I could use it with a snatch block when I do need it, and when I can afford it I can upgrade to a larger winch. For now it would be better than no winch, and I could always use it on another vehicle or my flat bed trailer when I upgrade..

I looked at the 9500 smittybilt, but the amazon reviews are a horror show. Gotta take it with a grain of salt of course, but it has me concerned.

One thought I had is if I do end up getting this MX8000, I could use it with a snatch block when I do need it, and when I can afford it I can upgrade to a larger winch. For now it would be better than no winch, and I could always use it on another vehicle or my flat bed trailer when I upgrade..

Out of morbid curiosity, I wandered over to Amazon to see the reviews mentioned above. I was surprised to see the Smittybilt XRC 9.5 Gen 2 on sale @$262. I also noticed that there was now a Gen 3 model listed, so I suspect the Gen 2 models are on closeout.

8k would work but most would recommend you using a snatch lock to help. Typically you double your vehicle weight and that’s the winch you want. Had the chance to weigh my stock lx470 on the way home at it was 6,010 with 3/4 tank of gas. Note you will also want to account for extra gear and protection you plan to add down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom