VIN plate location (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
can anyone tell me where the VIN plate on a 1968 40 series is located? I need to reattach on my 40 and I will be darned if I can figure out where it goes. Pictures would be great if anyone has one.

Thanks...Don

Hmmm...let me check!

Thanks
Here's a pic even though it's hard to see it over the primer.

vin.jpg

Nope...seems that what I have is a plate that goes in passenger inner fender. No sign of mount holes in drivers door pillar. SOR confirms there are 2 tags. One on door pillar and one on inner passenger fender.

My 40 is a 2/68 production date. Found another thread saying door plate came about 3/69 so I may be good.

Thanks

I only have the inner passenger fender tag and frame stamp on mine, I looked forever for info on a Jan/Feb 1968 VIN plate on the DS pillar and never could get a clear answer. I sanded down my DS and PS pillar and no holes or patches were ever there.

I too am interested.. A tag can be easily reproduced and engraved (if one ever existed...), but my VIN/DMV inspector was fine with just the frame stamp.

J

I know in the Australian version it would normally be fixed to the drivers side fire wall in the engine bay just below the lip where the bonnet sits.
firewall.jpg
firewall.jpg

I know in the Australian version it would normally be fixed to the drivers side fire wall in the engine bay just below the lip where the bonnet sits.....

Your mind's gotten confused by all these drivers here who sit on the wrong side Ken..

I'd certainly find it quite a mission reaching my legs across to operate those brake and clutch masters if I was sitting behind my VIN plate (arrowed in red here):
VINplate.jpg

But at least you're mind isn't contaminated enough to call your bonnet a hood .......... yet :D

Ooopppppppppppps my bad its been a long day up early and driven from Cooktown to Cairns and then running around. Thanks for the correction.

US market a 68 FJ40 had only one VIN plate and it was on the inside of the passenger's fender below the battery tray. US got the second VIN on the driver's A pillar starting 3/69. The VIN plate was on the right side of the firewall on earlier years but around the time the heater with a blower started it moved to the fender. Believe this was because the vacuum 4WD shifter moved toward the center. While it wasn't until the 78 model the VIN changed from the fender back to the firewall the vacuum shifter was gone completely in the US on the 40 series by the 73 model.

Excellent! Is there any official source I can refer to that would,back up this data? I'm using a "VIN Verifier" and in talking to the guy he sounds anal about this. Can't say I blame him as his license would be in jeopardy for doing a non-conforming verification. It would be great to have an official source of this info.

Thanks again...D

VIN is stamped on the right front frame rail. That number should match the VIN on the plate. Specter Off Road have a frame chart you cand date when it was made.

Excellent! Is there any official source I can refer to that would,back up this data? I'm using a "VIN Verifier" and in talking to the guy he sounds anal about this. Can't say I blame him as his license would be in jeopardy for doing a non-conforming verification. It would be great to have an official source of this info.
Thanks again...D

I have my original 1979 Owners Manual for instance that show photos of plates in the engine bay on the firewall (left-hand-side for a right-hand-drive and right-hand-side for a left-hand-drive).
Here's the left-hand-drive/USA:
PlateLDrive.jpg

Here's Ken's and my right-hand-drives:
PlateRDrive.jpg

And I have a Toyota Vehicle Identification Manual (covering a lot of earlier vehicle years) that shows just the one location, again it's within the engine bay, but this time the inner-right-hand-side (on the panel that has the catch for the right-hand bonnet/hood hook).

PlateAboveFender.jpg

Probably not the best.. but maybe someone else has some better official verification..

:beer:

PS. I suspect the "USA driver's A-pillar" was not done by Toyota but was done by USA officials in addition to Toyota;'s plate..

Last edited:
Thanks again all. I'm satisfied that the passenger fender is all I need. I have it so all good there. Just need to get it verified by PD, AAA, CHP, or VIN Verifier. Talked to a VIN Verifier and he won't do it. I think partially because the chassis is boxed in around the VIN with a window making the VIN visible. The plating is part of a Butch Built kit from years ago. The verifier was kinda dickish about it. He has his license to protect...I get that but s***ty attitude. Oh well.

Looking for a friendly So Cal LEO to help me out. Feelers are out in case we have a mud member LEO in So Cal.

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom