Vacuum Leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright people smarter than me (aka everybody).

Parked the FJ40 in 2005. In 2007, pulled the carb, drained oil, emptied radiator. Then nothing. Stupid. Fast forward to 2016.

Trying to get her running again. Sludge everywhere. Cleaned everything. Pulled the head, had a valve job done. Reassembled. OEM gaskets everywhere. Today, I finally tried to start. Initially, no dice. Cranking over but wouldn't fire. Eventually figured out that my timing was off. Set #1 cyl to TDC with the timing mark aligned, and set the distributor rotor to #4 spark plug. Was able to fire. But will only run with the choke out. Under 1000 RPM, she just dies. I was able to time it though, kept her at 950ish and set her to 7 degrees (BB aligned to needle)

Other big thing pointing to vacuum leak. When the timing was off, and I was flooding the carb, I noticed some gas dripping down the drivers side of the block. Looked like it was coming from the intake manifold near cyl #4 or 5. Probably from between the intake, gasket, and block.

So what next? Tighten all bolts, esp around where I saw the gas? Spray carb or brake clean fluid around the intake/exhaust and look for an idle surge? If the intake/exhaust bolts are all tight, do I have warping and have to pull them (intake/exhaust manifolds) again and machine?

I almost am ready to burn the thing to the ground. Learn from me. Don't park your truck for 10 plus years! If you do, do a much better job prepping it!

Thanks

You need compression, spark and gas to run...

Un hook the rubber line coming to the carb from the fuel pump and turn the motor over and make sure it's pumping gas. Just put a plastic bottle on there and make sure it's pumping. Filers clogged?

Run a compression check to make sure it's not got a compression related issue - make sure you do this at wide open throttle.

Pull a plug wire and use a tester to see if you have a good spark - spark plug testers are cheap and not using one can mess up your ignition system

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-20610-...=1474295370&sr=8-2&keywords=spark+plug+tester

or

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-6589-Ele...=1474295440&sr=1-1&keywords=spark+plug+tester

I'm guessing you have a spark but you have to rule out a good spark vs a weak one.

I was in this situation once and the timing light I was using was way out of calibration and kept me from getting the motor running.

I have also seen stale gas keep old trucks from running. Especially on older trucks with points and condenser vs electronic ignition.

Given the time frame, I'd bet that you need a carb rebuild, new fuel lines, the tank cleaned out and fresh gas.

The gas leak could be a bad gasket on the carb or a fuel line. Get on that before you catch it one fire!

If you're at the point of giving up get it over to Ryan (@OTRAMM) in Bealeton and let him sort it out. As just stated it probably needs a carb rebuild, fuel lines checked out and the vacuum leaks fixed. Ryan has a smoker that he can connect up and pinpoint all the leaks. A few months back he replaced my leaking intake/exhaust gasket with a Remflex unit (thinker than OEM so may eliminate the need to machine your manifolds), rebuilt and re-jetted my carb and road tuned it with his wide-band O2 sensor. My truck was a lot like yours in that it previously wouldn't run without partial choke and idled at ~1000 RPM. After Ryan worked his magic my truck fires right up with NO choke and idles perfectly. There are no flat spots in the power band and no back firing or popping. It's a completely different experience driving it now and I love it. I was thinking about doing this myself but in the end I figured I should have a professional get it 100% working right and then I'll take over the job of keeping it running right.

Yeah, it's Ross. Part of the problem is I was trying to get it running on a short timeline, as the house where it was stored was sold, and I needed to move it asap.

I drained the s***ty 10 year old gas, and then threw acetone and some E85 in it to clear out all the varnish. Then drained and flushed it with gas about 15 times to clear out all the dirt. Probably should have pulled the tank, and would have if had more time. I blew out all the fuel lines between the carb and the tank, everything seemed clear. I am also of the opinion the carb probably needs a rebuild. While it was off the truck for 10 years, I don't think I emptied it of gas. That probably evaporated out, leaving residue.

I am going to tow it to my house (have given up on the dream of driving it over), and that will give me time to work on it properly. Pull the tank, pull the carb, do compression test etc. Thanks all for the advice. OTRAMM, is that Ryan Bascom? Deff wheeled with him at least once or twice back in the day (like talking 1999).

Edit : saw Ryan post above. The wheeling trip I was thinking about is when Ryan broke a rear pinion near Pittsburgh where those huge mining caves where. John Smith, Lance Williams, Rob Blumel were also on the trip, IIRC

If it's dying below 1k rpm chances are the idle solenoid isn't kicking. Check power and ground. The carb comes on to the main circuit right around 1k.
Thanks Ryan, that was my other thought. I checked to make sure I connected them. Will check further once I have the truck in my garage

Hey Ross, it's awesome that you still have that truck. I remember you and Henry C. and your MOPAR buddy working on it on my driveway back in 1996? Holy cow 20 years ago? What's Henry been up to?

Ross was active in the club back in the day, you should come down to a meeting. I'll buy you a beer. -Stumbaugh

Hey Ross, it's awesome that you still have that truck. I remember you and Henry C. and your MOPAR buddy working on it on my driveway back in 1996? Holy cow 20 years ago? What's Henry been up to?

Ross was active in the club back in the day, you should come down to a meeting. I'll buy you a beer. -Stumbaugh

Lol, the timing light I used yesterday was borrowed from the Mopar buddy. Henry lives north of Austin in Texas. He is super busy with work, as well as his kids sports activities. I spoke to him about a month ago, and he and his fam were all doing well. I am overdue a trip out there, I need to time it with the F1 race. I am excited to get the 40 back on the road. Just full of regrets I left it so long.

I think I still have that broken pinion somewhere. That was a fun trip.
Yeah it was. I wish I remembered where those caves were. I tried to look them up on google maps/sat a few years back, couldn't find them. Or else my google skills suck

Wait...you're back in town? I thought you were in NC somewhere? All you old timers should come on out to our Swap Meet this Saturday.

It was Caspirius just north of State College if I remember right. I just saw the photo album with those pics in it not too long ago. I'll see if i can find it and if it has info.
Casparis, thats it. Near South Connelsville. It looks like they blew the tunnels to prevent access a few years back.