V8 engine info needed for FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I currently own a 1976 FJ40 that ALREADY has a Chevy 350, mated to the stock 4-speed using Advance Adapter bits. But that engine is kaput and in need of a rebuild.

However, today I ran across a local ad for a Chevy 305 on Craigslist (seller is actually a guy I know). Engine is in good running condition. I can pick it up for about half of what it would cost me to rebuild my 350.

I understand the engine blocks are basically the same, but I was wondering if anyone knew if this would be a direct bolt up swap in?

I did not do the original engine swap and don't really know much about the 350 that is currently in the 40. No idea on what year, or any particular configurations that might affect this swapover (2 bolt/4bolt, etc.).

I do know that what I have is a carb'd engine, and so is the 305, so no worries about computers or other new-fangled gadgets).

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

I might add that getting a good engine for 1/2 the cost of rebuilding my current one would get my Cruiser back on the trails at least a couple months ahead of schedule.

Engine will bolt to trans same with the motor mounts, however flywheels may or may not interchange depending on years.
Chevy changed crank design from a two piece to a one piece rear main seal that also changing the flywheel.
Accsessories should bolt up as well.

Thanks for the info.
I'll try to determine what year engine I have and then contact him to find out what year his is.
Do you know where I can find the info on the years affected by the change?

if there is any choice in the matter a 350 is just a better all around engine. Some of the 305 engines are boat anchors....they eat gas and have piss-poor performance and there's not much you can do about it.

If I had a carb setup 350 and the budget I would go for a 383 at rebuild time.

if there is any choice in the matter a 350 is just a better all around engine. Some of the 305 engines are boat anchors....they eat gas and have piss-poor performance and there's not much you can do about it.

If I had a carb setup 350 and the budget I would go for a 383 at rebuild time.

yep x2

I started out with a 1977 305 chevy in my FJ75 and ended up swapping it out for a 1974 350 coz it was too under powered for 35" tyres. Everything was identical and bolt up, accessories, flywheel, clutch, engine mounts etc,

It will bolt right in. Change over was in 1986.

In these parts, a runner is worth about $300. If you buy it, you can take your time rebuilding your 350... Even build a 383 if you want.

What colour is your engine block?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom