Unhappy 40-troubleshooting help? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Left the house to take the 40 to Coffee & Cars this morning , but only got about 1/2 mile away before it started running rough as hell, really low on power, and back firing through the carb about every 5-10 seconds. Made it back to the entrance of our neighborhood and it died and wouldn’t restart. It cranked but that was it. Also noticed a few puffs of blue smoke coming from the tailpipe when I attempted to start it. I smelled fuel so don’t think it was fuel starved. Oil pressure and engine temp. were normal.

Any ideas as to what it may be? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Check for any hoses that may come loose. I would also verify the time. Distributor came loose for any reason could cause this. If this is a 78 it should have a pointless distributor other point gap could also cause a weak spark which leave unburned fuel.

Check for any hoses that may come loose. I would also verify the time. Distributor came loose for any reason could cause this. If this is a 78 it should have a pointless distributor other point gap could also cause a weak spark which leave unburned fuel.
Appreciate the suggestions, I checked hoses and distributor and all seem fine. It’s a ‘76. A little black inside the carb. but kind of expected that after this morning’s fun. Unfortunately can’t check timing since it won’t fire.

FB7AEDB1-2A24-4DEE-A39E-C5CFC2922F24.jpeg

A1EA50B6-2AF9-442E-B4FA-9261C847115F.jpeg

5B67E99E-18CE-4ACC-A4A0-7EA569367D7C.jpeg

A4A686BF-F0FF-4ADF-91A5-8834B2E32F73.jpeg

I can’t see where you 12v switched is coming in from for your DUI. But, this connection, pink wire in pic, is 12v switched for the DUI. That connection is a single point failure. Easy to confirm or deny as a prospect culprit for your issue.

1712446311849.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom