Turbo Woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, all.

I recently installed a Diesel42 (Thanks again Keith, great stuff) turbo kit on my 85 BJ60.

Install was a bit interesting as the 3b sits farther back in the bay than the 40 causing the downpipe to be extremely close to the firewall. I had to loose my AC compressor sadly as well for the oil feed line but, I have some thoughts for that at a later date.

Anyway, the issue I'm having is that post turbo install my coolant temps are shooting up after only 10 minutes of driving. I did have to swap a hose to fit the turbo, so the system was opened during install. I am thinking there might be air in the system but I have run it with the cap off elevated and left it for a few days to see if the air would move. I should also say my egts are quite high, I'm pushing 15 psi at peak load and the fuel was turned up about 3 turns (I think it was leaned before because I've never seen even a puff of smoke out the pipe stock on hills, cold starts, or gear changes. At any rate I've messed with the fuel up and down as much as I can and it seems to make no real difference aside from power difference. I am hitting 1200°F (pre turbo) every time I take it to 2500rpm or higher. If I stay there too long it climbs quickly and would hit 1300°F if I kept going.

Maybe I should mention is that I haven't got my exhaust done yet. It's still just the downpipe and I'm wondering if maybe there's some chance it's being blown up into the engine bay. I'm just not sure if there's need of an intercooler or something, but I've heard of others that don't run one and they seem to not have the same issues as me.
And on a final note, I haven't had a chance to do a compression test, but I have certain suspicions that maybe one of my cylinders has bad compression. There's enough blowby that I can't fill oil while the beast is running. Otherwise it has not given me issues much at all.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

i had this occur when i turboed my 3b and it was the headgasket.... check your coolant overflow for bubbles and pressurizing the coolant, or pull the rad cap when cold and see if it seems to be bubbling or pressurizing /overflowing, it builds up air in the head and overheats
higher egt's seem to be a by-product of not having full compression and having to work it harder combined with the higher head temps

i had this occur when i turboed my 3b and it was the headgasket.... check your coolant overflow for bubbles and pressurizing the coolant, or pull the rad cap when cold and see if it seems to be bubbling or pressurizing /overflowing, it builds up air in the head and overheats
higher egt's seem to be a by-product of not having full compression and having to work it harder combined with the higher head temps
That sounds like you might be right on the money. I totally forgot to mention that after it sat for about a week parked I took the cap off cold at the coolant sprayed over the engine. So, it would seem it's not enough pressure to open the overflow, but it's enough that it did that.

good news is, if that is what it is, the 3b is easy to do the headgasket on, just get the head checked for cracks and use a TOYOTA oem MLS headgasket...no aftermarket s***
and the headbolts are reusable
original composite headgaskets arent up to the demands of boost
(just to be clear I meant running and cold)

good news is, if that is what it is, the 3b is easy to do the headgasket on, just get the head checked for cracks and use a TOYOTA oem MLS headgasket...no aftermarket s***
and the headbolts are reusable
original composite headgaskets arent up to the demands of boost
(just to be clear I meant running and cold)
Oh ok. It sprayed at me when I opened it not running. And it had sat for a week.

Hm, well I ordered a composite gasket because frankly I don't have time right this second to get the head checked. It does not blow any white smoke so I'm hoping there's no cracks.

I think I'll back my boost way down to 8psi and adjust my fuel to match for the time being. Or just not drive it. Sadly I was planning two weeks on Vancouver Island and sadly now it looks like I'll be taking my car, but I'll throw the gasket on and do what I said and see if it's driveable. I will want to look into it, but damn if I can't take it I'll be bummed as I can't change my days off sadly.

Maybe I'll just leave the wastegate completely open with no boost at all and just suffer the hills on stock power lol.

i would confirm that that is the issue first by checking for bubbling in the rad or overflow while its running

and the composite gasket from my knowledge is no longer available from toyota so, for your own sake, eat the cost of the composite one and order a toyota mls headgasket radd cruisers has em, toyota has em etc, you dont want to do it twice ( and you will)

but check first if the headgasket is really the issue before you just start ordering stuff

I don't mind eating costs when vacation enjoyment is on the line lol.

I ordered the composite from radd. It said Toyota on the listing so he must have old stock I guess

Yeah, I'll have to buy a test kit
compression tester is nice also a blocktest kit would be helpfull

I used one these its a nice kit has the fittings for toyota

1688241785789.png

1688241967134.png

Thanks. I did order the identical compression test kit on Amazon. It will hopefully give me some answers. I'll see what the test says and then maybe I'll get the leak kit as well.

Sounds like you're on the right track. What we;ve found over the years is the turbo kit won't cause over heating "IF" your cooling system is healhty to begin with. If it isn't, or you've got a weak engine, the turbocharger just exasperates it more. 1200+deg EGT's are on the cusp of high for long durations. Usually 10psi at 1050-1100 deg's pre-turbo the performance is excellent. As others have noted, head gasket, radiator,hoses/clamps, thermostat, block could have sludge. Keep us posted.

Hello, all.

I recently installed a Diesel42 (Thanks again Keith, great stuff) turbo kit on my 85 BJ60.

Install was a bit interesting as the 3b sits farther back in the bay than the 40 causing the downpipe to be extremely close to the firewall. I had to loose my AC compressor sadly as well for the oil feed line but, I have some thoughts for that at a later date.

Anyway, the issue I'm having is that post turbo install my coolant temps are shooting up after only 10 minutes of driving. I did have to swap a hose to fit the turbo, so the system was opened during install. I am thinking there might be air in the system but I have run it with the cap off elevated and left it for a few days to see if the air would move. I should also say my egts are quite high, I'm pushing 15 psi at peak load and the fuel was turned up about 3 turns (I think it was leaned before because I've never seen even a puff of smoke out the pipe stock on hills, cold starts, or gear changes. At any rate I've messed with the fuel up and down as much as I can and it seems to make no real difference aside from power difference. I am hitting 1200°F (pre turbo) every time I take it to 2500rpm or higher. If I stay there too long it climbs quickly and would hit 1300°F if I kept going.

Maybe I should mention is that I haven't got my exhaust done yet. It's still just the downpipe and I'm wondering if maybe there's some chance it's being blown up into the engine bay. I'm just not sure if there's need of an intercooler or something, but I've heard of others that don't run one and they seem to not have the same issues as me.
And on a final note, I haven't had a chance to do a compression test, but I have certain suspicions that maybe one of my cylinders has bad compression. There's enough blowby that I can't fill oil while the beast is running. Otherwise it has not given me issues much at all.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
I would say that is a bit too much boost for a 3B as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom