Treadwright 315's showed up today. 5 GY MTR skins reloaded! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't skimp on tires...you already seem worried about putting them on the front...would you want your family in there?

The last places I would want to skimp would be tires and brake systems. I'd hate to know that I went with cheaper tire to save bucks at the risk of me or my family...

If it's just wheeling, thats ok I guess...but my opinion...just say nay!

Just out of fairness and a point of reference...

...my Goodyear MTRs chunk like a mofo.

...wasn't it band new, non-retreaded Firestones that were killing thousands of people on our highways a few years ago?

Any tire can fail. My sister had a tread separation on a set of street Goodyear street tires on a Jetta. The question to me seems to be are re-treads more prone than new treads to tread separation or other failures? I don't know if there is statistical data to come up with an answer that gets beyond conjecture.:meh:

I don't see any advantage. Both axles are essential in vehicle handling, especially emergencies. Loose rear traction and the rear end won't follow your steering input. Loose front traction and greatly diminish steering. Not good either way.

i guess my question was why exactly is it wrong to mix tires. if your retreads are the same sidewall and matching treads then why cant you have fronts be new tires and rear be new retreads.

i asked this as government use of retreads is almost always on the rear tires. treadwright's website also states that tires above 33 are not recommended for front tires. most government vehicle retread use (busses, snoplowers) use tires larger that i think, not sure on this, but that may be why they also default to rear. if i was to purchase these they would be 31 or smaller and on a daily.

given a choice i would much rather have a rear tire fail rather than front... especially in an truck/suv type of vehicle with a high center of grav.

How are these holding up so far Ducatti?

Allow me to chime in here - I know this is an old discussion, with lots of opinions - good and bad.

I own a trucking company....and on all of my semi and straight trucks I run recaps/retreads on the drive tires only.

Even brand new virgin steer tires are a balancing nightmare...and with the help of devices from Centramatic (liquid/steel wheel balancers) - this has cut back on balancing issues and wear inconsistincies on the steers as well as the drives.

On all of my Land Cruisers that my family drives daily (we have a 40 and 2-80's) I run Tread Wright's retreads - front and rear. The Guard Dog / MTR tread pattern.

Just a word of advice....check your tire pressures weekly! We check them daily in our big rigs - both hot and cold - maintain the PROPER air pressure and they'll last a very long time!

Tire pressure and overloading are the 2 most common causes for tire failure - whether virgin rubber or a recap.

Any tire can fail - and will eventually, just the nature of a wear item.

I have all the confidence in the recapping processes that are being used in today's tire industry. You have to know that with over a 1.2 million miles under my belt within the past 10 years of commercial driving - I've never had a recap fail - ever. It all boils down to tire maintenance and care. Replace them before they fail - just keep an eye on them, just like you should everything else on your vehicle.

The Tread Wright Guard Dog / MTR tires have performed amazingly on the 40, and the 80's. They do chunk out, but so did every other tire I've tried in the rocks....even aired down to 8 psi, they held their own....and perform amazing in the snow!

Okay, I'm off my soap box!

:)

CCJ, What sizes are you running, and on which rig? How many miles?

When you buy 4 or 5 tires from them are they all the same base tire? Say all 5 Dunlop, BFR, GoodYear, etc? I ask because a 315 in one brand may be taller or shorter than in another brand.

They say you can "request" the same cases, but it may take some time before they are able to ship. I was following some threads on these with high hopes after pricing KM2s at $332 each for 315s. $133 each for the TWs sounds way better.

Then I read their "warranty" this morning. There are so many exclusions in the warranty that you would probably never ever see any satisfaction if you had a problem. You void the warranty if you have ANY suspension mods, if you spin a tire or fail to follow "federal industry standard tire rotation guidelines" etc etc. All of the above are likely to happen...

I guess I will keep looking at other options too. I am sure I can find KM2s or similar for a good price at tirerack or discount tire.

They say you can "request" the same cases, but it may take some time before they are able to ship. I was following some threads on these with high hopes after pricing KM2s at $332 each for 315s. $133 each for the TWs sounds way better.

Then I read their "warranty" this morning. There are so many exclusions in the warranty that you would probably never ever see any satisfaction if you had a problem. You void the warranty if you have ANY suspension mods, if you spin a tire or fail to follow "federal industry standard tire rotation guidelines" etc etc. All of the above are likely to happen...

I guess I will keep looking at other options too. I am sure I can find KM2s or similar for a good price at tirerack or discount tire.

They are also out of stock on the 315's with no ETA so who knows how long you would wait. There warranty is bogus anyways, no way 99% of people would fall into that group.

Look at Tirerack, Discount and 4wheelparts they all have better deals that what you posted. Watch Tirerack though they just upped there shipping charges in my case up about $80 for 5 tires.

Allow me to chime in here - I know this is an old discussion, with lots of opinions - good and bad.

I own a trucking company....and on all of my semi and straight trucks I run recaps/retreads on the drive tires only.
Why not on the steering axle?

Why not on the steering axle?

So when the re-tread separates from the casing you can at least steer to the side of the road without completely losing control of the vehicle.

So when the re-tread separates from the casing you can at least steer to the side of the road without completely losing control of the vehicle.

I would think they use this method to keep the drivers happy. I would want the best tire available for my steering wheels if I regularly hauled 80k pounds at 80mph. On the other hand I've seen truck drivers in Afghanistan drive on tires that were originally made in 1969 and this was in 2007!:rolleyes:

For my money, the Treadwrights seem like a better tire than 4 bald/dryrotted 'virgin rubber' tires would be.

Please read this link and take whatever you need to from his experience

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/453699-imperial-land-cruiser-ii-build-thread.html

I will NEVER use retreads and this is why!

Why??? because one blew out and seperated..... i've had two new tires (with in a year old) do the same thing to me..... should I not run new tires now?

I work in the trucking industry and am the manager of a large facility that has a recaping shop attached to it. While that is the only part that I am not in charge of I still know quite a bit about retreads.

The reason most states do not allow retreads on the front axle is there is a slightly higher chance that a retread will seperate and the simple fact that the casing is normally much older than a new one. Most of the bad problems with retreads come from the 1980's and older when everybody was trying to do retreads and the regulation wasn't there. Now a days retreads are done the the highest standard but they are only as good as the shop that does them and the equipment they use.
My shop is less than a year old and the manager there is a pitbull on his guys to make sure they do them right. We have not had one tread seperation from this plant in a year and we pump out about 200 a day. There have been other minor problems such as leaks that didn't show up on the xray the first time that had to come back to get patched but that is about the extent of it.

As for passenger cars most people do shy away from them again for the same reasons as above but even if a tire does blow out it shouldn't cause the problems as in the above thread. I've had quite a few tires blow out on me in my life and driven out of all of them. If the casing is quality and the shop doing the work is quality then their shouldn't be a problem.

I wouldn't balk about running them on my rig, but since I run a 16.5 wheel tire combo I can get cheaper military tires than their price.

Why take the extra risk? The road is already a dangerous place (Teenagers, Cell phones, TVs in dash boards, etc.). Why skimp on one of the most important parts of a vehicle? Retreads on big rigs I can understand somewhat, but unless you've ever been next to a rig on the highway when it blows and sheds a retread ( I have) than you have no idea how dangerous and scary it can be. I can understand if you don't use your cruiser as a DD and don't do a lot of highway driving, but I do and It's not worth the added risk. I don't know about yours but my cruiser doesn't exactly handle like a sportscar at high speeds. All I'm really saying is It's not for me.

Yes when a retread on a big rig blows it is more violent than a new tire. That is because the tread is not molded on like a new tire, so when it blows with violent force the tread can let go. This is different than a passenger retread though because of the weight, load difference, and the psi difference, normally 95 and up and also most passenger retreads are acutualy molds instead of a straight retread. (I believe tread wrights are molds but i'd have to look at their site for this)

I completely understand what you are saying but understand this, there are tons of reports done every year on retreads and new tires and instances on blow outs are not really higher on retreads than on new tires.

there are tons of reports done every year on retreads and new tires and instances on blow outs are not really higher on retreads than on new tires.

fair enough

Four years ago I bough a set of MT retreads with green diamond from Hi Tec. They had matched BFG AT carcusses, but tread looked horrible, many irregularities with voids blocks or fills in between the tread block. Tires did not balance well, and handled HORRIBLE on the highway! I would consider them for a farm truck, but never again for something driven regularly on the highway. Pulled mine within 500 miles, I literally did not feel safe driving them at 60 mph. Finally sold them for about half what I paid for them.

There was a retread thread about 3 years ago (probably several more since then). A very "passionate" discussion. People either love them or hate them.

I would personally tell people thinking about getting them don't unless it is for a trailer queen, and if you already have them, I hope your experience is much better than mine was.

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom