Transfer case input gear. Seal runner or no seal runner? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mr Cimarron

DRIVE, BREAK, FIX, REPEAT
SILVER Star
Threads
In the process of ordering mark's gear set for my 85 split case. They are asking if it has a seal runner or no real runner? I have no clue and since Australia has different cases its getting little confusing talking with them about the specs on a US 85 case.

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but can't you get a similar gear set in USA from Advance nowadays?
AA sells the same gears that are from Mark's. I'm just getting them from the source for cheaper.

Bump for knowledge.

??? Maybe ask Mark's for a description. The transfer doesn't have that many seals and the input gear is the only gear that has one. If Jim or Beno don't know then they might be sending you looking for 'blinker fluid'.

When you get it set up, please let us know how noisy the gears are.

??? Maybe ask Mark's for a description. The transfer doesn't have that many seals and the input gear is the only gear that has one. If Jim or Beno don't know then they might be sending you looking for 'blinker fluid'.

When you get it set up, please let us know how noisy the gears are.
It does seem like a blinker fluid chase at the moment. They think it should have a seal but I want to make sure before I order something from Australia. I am hoping @beno will chime in here to solve the mystery.

Seal runner? Ask them what that is first.

All of the split cases I've interacted with, including one case from australia that came with my H55, have the same transfer input seal. The difference in the input gears comes with how far the splines stick towards the transmission. I don't suspect that will make a difference with your AA setup.

Last edited:
How is that cheaper than this? EDIT: I'm a retard and can't do math.

http://www.advanceadapters.com/prod...34mm-cases-require-the-additional-kit-716934/

I still don't know what a "seal runner" is unfortunately. Mark's makes the difference between gears on a 4 speed or 5 speed mated split case. I'm not aware of any input gear differences between the 4 and 5 speed split cases, only plugging that one hole in the front half of the adapter and adding the oil splasher.

Last edited:
Some of the early t cases (1980-81) use a spacer with a little lock ball. Maybe that's what they mean.

Dyno

How is that cheaper than this? EDIT: Exchange rate today makes the AA kit below a tiny bit cheaper:

http://www.advanceadapters.com/prod...34mm-cases-require-the-additional-kit-716934/

I still don't know what a "seal runner" is unfortunately. Mark's makes the difference between gears on a 4 speed or 5 speed mated split case. I'm not aware of any input gear differences between the 4 and 5 speed split cases, only plugging that one hole in the front half of the adapter and adding the oil splasher.
Those are only low range gears. I am looking at low range and high range kits. Here is the same kit from AA.
http://www.advanceadapters.com/prod...0--fj62-8-overdrive--2811-low-range-gear-set/

With exchange rate the gear kit from Mark's comes out to $1,300 US.

Oh, gotcha. Stupid me, was doing the exchange rate the wrong way.

In any case, I think you're going to have to call Mark's to see what the difference is, specifically what a "seal runner" is. Do you know if your split case came from a H42 or A440 (assuming it's a US split case)?

Oh, gotcha. Stupid me, was doing the exchange rate the wrong way.

In any case, I think you're going to have to call Mark's to see what the difference is, specifically what a "seal runner" is. Do you know if your split case came from a H42 or A440 (assuming it's a US split case)?
It has a build date of X/85, can't remember the month off hand. It did come off a US 60. I got it from Cruiseryard and all I know it was pulled from an 85 model I believe.

So the transition year, but IIRC, you have the 34mm case.

Based on that and Mark's site, I'd say the following is the right set for you, but it's a blind guess, because we don't know what a "seal runner" is. I searched through the parts references and there's no such thing as a "seal runner" in the transfer case from Toyota.

Give them a call.

http://www.marks4wd.com/low-rand-overdrive-gears/low-range-gears/toyota/mfk1190tr.html

So the transition year, but IIRC, you have the 34mm case.

Based on that and Mark's site, I'd say the following is the right set for you, but it's a blind guess, because we don't know what a "seal runner" is. I searched through the parts references and there's no such thing as a "seal runner" in the transfer case from Toyota.

Give them a call.

http://www.marks4wd.com/low-rand-overdrive-gears/low-range-gears/toyota/mfk1190tr.html
I agree that's the kit. I contacted them asking what a seal runner. I think it's early tomorrow morning there. I usually get a response around 1 or 2 our time.

I think the terminology is Land Rover - British. The front "stub axle" is a single unit with the hub and axle cast together. On early LR's, the oil seal runner was a replaceable collar on the axle. Not sure what that means in terms of a LC split case though.

Last edited:
Ok split case gurus here is a photo from Mark's showing the difference between seal runner and no runner. Now the question is which one came in the US split case?
IMG_9249.JPG

W/ seal runner on 85-later. I'm not positive that all 81-84 are same style, but I've rebuilt several 85-90 t-cases in the last few months an all had the integrated seal surface on input gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom