Toyota Straight Six (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think I have some catching up here to do regarding these motors. Until last July I have been away from FJ40'S for 30 years. I've owned a total of 3 the first one I bought new in 1978. After having spent time on this site I can see that full restorations are the thing now for a lot of you and that means going with the Toyota six. Which takes me back to my 78 which after 10,000 miles needed a complete valve and ring job because it burned oil so badly, fortunately that was under warranty but I started to pay closer attention to SBC engine swaps as they got popular back then, less weight, more power and better reliability as my experience was not an Isolated one. That brings me to the present and seeing so many of you going with the original sixes which I can understand for a 100 point resto but maybe not so much in other cases. I'm not dumping on these motors just curious. It would seem to me the replacement parts such as rings and valve train pieces must be a lot better these days and would like to here if that's case and what kind of mileage is typical for a current rebuilt six. Just for some back ground I am a straight six enthusiast and prefer them in old trucks. I've rebuilt Chevy Stovebolt sixes, (rumor has it that's what Toyota copied) Ford inlines' , more than a few old IHC sixes from the 1950's, all very good motors that with proper maintenance will reliably do many thousands of miles between rebuilds. My current FJ has a SBC V8 in it from the previous owner but somewhere down the road there is the temptation to pull the V8 and drop in a six. Supposedly a Chevy 292 six will bolt up to my existing bellhousing but maybe I should keep my eye out for an original drive train. I'd welcome all opinions and suggestions that would bring me up to date on the Land Cruiser inline six.

The question you have to answer is where you want to end up? If you already have a SBC why move backward to an in line 6, unless you are talking OEM.

Personally, I appreciate the 2f straight 6 for being what it is, the offspring of a tractor and a sewing machine.
I drove an SBC swap once and to me, the experience just wasn’t the same.

I have an SBC283 in my ‘65 40, and a 1F in my ‘63 45. Why? Cuz that’s what was in them when I got them 😂.

Run what ya brung, as it is said.

And do not post a picture with the bezel upside down.
A very nice intro tho.
Thirty years ago… I had already driven down from Alaska with the big six up front. Stayed in Canada as the speed limit in those dark days was still 70 then. She did well.

I still run the mighty 2F, 70mph all over the place, up and over mountain passes, no complaints from me. It's like catching small trout in a high mountain stream, it just seems right.

I was going to build a Corvette 283 motor for mine. I have a friend that built a stroked 350 (383) for his, and he was really happy with it. I think the 292 was a good engine, tho I like the Ford 300 inline.

As it stands now engine #3 that's in my 72 now is likely going to last my driving days. I think its a 2F. I believe cylinder #5 has been sleeved (bad brake booster). I bought a rocker assembly off ebay and put on it back in the early 2000's before I got sick.

70 MPH and above is lock my hands on the wheel low 4,8 and support them with my knees. Short wheel base and high speed isn't a good combo IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom