to Color match or not to color match (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I will be putting an ARB deluxe bar on my '05 LX in the next year, but i was wondering what the opinion was about color matching the bumper color with the dark grey color that the cladding has. Or should I color match the cladding to the black exterior paint. Thoughts?

Color matching today.

Found this on Google. Pretty much exactly what I want to do. Bumper, lift, OEM wheel, and the black cladding. I think it looks really nice

View attachment 1923105
Off topic, but god damn black looks so sexy. Too bad they're hairpin scratch magnets.

Off topic, but god damn black looks so sexy. Too bad they're hairpin scratch magnets.
The black does look good. I just dont think that a grey bumper ( my dads idea) would look as good. Black just looks so damn good

Currently trying to decide between a ARB Deluxe, my choice, or a ARB Sahara, my dads choice. Wanted to get the fine folks of 'mud's input on this decision. The bottom portion of both bumpers would be painted the same grey as the side cladding.

Currently trying to decide between a ARB Deluxe, my choice, or a ARB Sahara, my dads choice. Wanted to get the fine folks of 'mud's input on this decision. The bottom portion of both bumpers would be painted the same grey as the side cladding.

I live in deer and hog country.....as such, bullbar is the only way for me. I use the IronMan Commercial Deluxe which is almost identical to the ARB Deluxe.

The Sahara is a "cleaner" looking bumper IMO, but wouldn't protect the lights and fenders as well as the Deluxe in an animal strike situation.

I live in deer and hog country.....as such, bullbar is the only way for me. I use the IronMan Commercial Deluxe which is almost identical to the ARB Deluxe.

The Sahara is a "cleaner" looking bumper IMO, but wouldn't protect the lights and fenders as well as the Deluxe in an animal strike situation.

297AA51F-7ED4-42B8-971D-355028C17AF0.jpeg

I matched the Dissent Offroad bumper to the cladding and grille - Evo Gray powder from Prismatic is a very close match...

... and did a few pieces in black to tie in to the roof rack, sliders, etc.

Agreed. NH is deer country as well, so the bull bar is extremely helpful with Animal strikes. Plus, as a young driver, more metal is helpful, and safer.

To an extent more metal is nice. In low speed a solid bumper might help prevent some damage, but at higher speeds the bumper will transfer the energy to the next weakest leak, bending the frame without a doubt, and also transfer more energy to you, causing a higher chance of injury. That’s why I am a big fan of the aluminum bumper idea, a nice delta between strength and still yielding in the event of an accident.

To an extent more metal is nice. In low speed a solid bumper might help prevent some damage, but at higher speeds the bumper will transfer the energy to the next weakest leak, bending the frame without a doubt, and also transfer more energy to you, causing a higher chance of injury. That’s why I am a big fan of the aluminum bumper idea, a nice delta between strength and still yielding in the event of an accident.

Not sure that's always the case with the high speed impacts. Our Land Cruisers don't get tested much by the NHTSA because of low sales numbers. But in the one study I saw, the 100 did pretty well. Where it didn't do great was related to the front wheel/tire being pushed into the driver/passenger foot well in an offset front impact - and injuring legs. My theory - again MY theory - is that a strong bumper will distribute that load and help keep those 33 from joining us in the front seat... and taking the spot where my legs or my passenger's legs were.

A heavy duty bumper will help prevent damage, including intrusion into the passenger compartment, I totally agree with you on that. The problem is G-forces. That’s the function of the light factory bumper, it will yield in an impact, like a crumple zone in passenger vehicle, making the collision less elastic, and dissipating energy. This is the same reason why the Jeep Wrangler gets 1 star in euro crash tests, it doesn’t yield enough and puts too much stress on the passengers. Like running into a wall with a steel plate on your chest vs running into a wall with a pillow on your chest. Sorry for the big tangent.
In regards to color matching, I would say get it in black and see if you like it, then if your not happy take it off and get it coated. Black looks good on most trucks, regardless of the trim color.

Found this on Google. Pretty much exactly what I want to do. Bumper, lift, OEM wheel, and the black cladding. I think it looks really nice

View attachment 1923105
...that looks familiar :cool: These days it's got new tires, new front lights, new driving lights, new fog lights, new turn signals, but otherwise the same overall look.

IMG_0251.jpg

Well the first off-road trip didn't go too well. A few new dents appeared that we have to get pulled and repainted. Will get a paint quote for the whole truck so I might end up following @kelly saad lead and go with Calvary blue.

@CBeckFJ not to take business away from kelly but if your had some damage your first trip, odds are it might continue. why repaint after the first offroading adventure? could be expensive to repaint after each off road trip. Pics of the damage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom