Tire rotation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Opinions please. I've never rotated 5 tires on the pig. 9 years old and 111K. Probably 20k from needing new rubber. At that time what risk is there likely to be putting the spare on and running it with three brand new equal branded tires.

Do I run the risk of the quality of that tire not being as good due to age from hanging under the beast for 9 years?

Brent,

It wouldn't bother me unless there were signs of dry rot or other visible clues that the tyre shouldn't be run with the new ones.

-B-

Brent I would say the Wulf is spot on. If they hold air and they look like they have not dried out then go with it. Also don't forget to check the inside of the tire where it contacted with the tire crossmember. It's possible to have some thin spots from the friction. And Pigs are really just 55's to the hardcore circle. ;)

Moralien,

re: pig - good to know. thx.

What I hope to do is to save my AT/KO spare and when the ones on the truck wear out buy something more on road for the alloys and then something more agressive for steels and then have something in between for a spare.

What I hope to do is to save my AT/KO spare and when the ones on the truck wear out buy something more on road for the alloys and then something more agressive for steels and then have something in between for a spare.

Tank - can understand what you're saying, but I've seen a lot of ripped sidewalls and I wouldn't want to be on trail knowing my spare was a tweenie - just my opinion, but something to think about.

Bringing up an old post

My question involves what the guys at 4 Wheel Parts said. Which was that you should never which tires side to side. (ie. only switch the right side front with the right rear) Does this guy have any clue on what he was talking about? I was going to follow what the owner's manual said to do.

If you're swappin them often for trail tires, then it really doesn't matter. :D Just pull off, toss in pile, wheel, swap back in. Eventually somehow they all get mixed about and end up fine with even wear :D

phatair,
certain types of tire will have a directional rating and will nto be able to switch sides without remountand balancing. (pro comp x terrains come to mind ) most tires you can switch form side to side.
I havent rotated mine on my truck now with close to 30k miles and wearing even on all four.
Dave

Keep said:
Rogue,

Little off topic here, but let us know what you think of the MTR to Swamper swap. I'm running MTRs now and want to go to something a little more aggressive next time. I'd like to be able to drive on road too though.

i made the swap. big differences in ride ,although i went to SSR's. they were used, on a compention buggy, grooved, chunked, just worn in. they balanced out fine and ride great for a 37. would rather have SX's but whatever. they work.

Oh, i go 75 all the time and they are smooth. noise. probably. i dont mind though

Big difference in traction though

Last edited:
Interesting thing I read in some car magazine recently (Motor Trend maybe) about directional tires, which most/all high performance cars have. The directional rating is for the tread, not for the tire, so the tire can be run backwards, but the tread will not behave the same way, water channeling, hell it'd probably grab water to put under your tire. The thing I read mentioned how in places like Phoenix, LA, and such people with Vette's, Porsche's, etc, would routinely run them backwards to get more life out of the tire, on dry pavement there was no problem with running them backwards, the tire can take it, just the tread is designed to only handle water from one direction. Might be louder too backwards.

So, point is, you can certainly run a directional tire backwards, infact several rock crawling guys would do that on purpose just to either be different or having it backwards was a different tread lineup (not flowing water, just looking for edges to grab).

I have MTRs on mine which are not directional anyway, so it hasn't been an issue. My front tires get cupped a bit, I try to rotate the spare in and have every tire going a new direction when I rotate, it rides a bit rough for a day or so while the new pattern is broken in, but then is fine.

Good Luck,
Mark Brodis

Back when steel belted tires came out it was common practice not to move tires from side to side because it was thouight that some "set" from the arch of the road would be taken on by the tire and swapping them side to side would create problems with the belts of the tire. I've talked with people today who still beleive that to be true.

I've got a set of 315 BFG AT/Kos with 85k on them right now that have never been intentionally rotated with no problems and still some life left in them.

My last 4runner had Bridgstone Dulers. I always rotated them front to back. One pit stop when I wasn't looking the tire guys rotated them around the horn and they really acted differently, wore much quicker and made lots more noise. The poor truck never ran the same.

It seems like when i was browsing around Interco's website i read something that said that when you rotate their bias-ply tires to leave them on the same side of the truck, i'll try and find it and post back, Brad.

Mine get plenty of rotation when I'm driving on them.

Jim_Chow said:
I guess another plus of the 5-tire rotation is it keeps them the same diameter, so if you do need to use the spare in, say, the front, the tires will still wear evening and the steering won't be affected.

Not exactly..., the tires that have not been rotated into the spare slot yet will have 5k to 7.5k (depending on your time between rotations) more miles on them. The only time all four running tires have the same mileage is the time up to the first rotations and after then, the time right after the all the tires have been run through the spare slot. However, if you were to rotate say every 50 miles, the difference may be considered to be negligible :flipoff2:

:cheers:
Rookie2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom