Thud from driveshaft when shifting into D -- u-joints are new (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2001 LX470 that was very poorly maintained by previous owners. It does a thud/thump when it shifts into D. It's not horrible, but it's audible from inside and outside the truck, and sounds like it's coming from (maybe) below the driver's seat.

We replaced u joints (which were very worn) which fixed some other problems but didn't fix the thud.

What's next? Transmission mounts? Some kind of driveshaft mount?

Many thanks.

Based on chasing a driveline clunk/thunk in my 99LX, I’d be looking at:
  • Front CV axles/drive plate wear/slack.
  • Front differential bushings.

As others have said, there’s a really good chance there’s play between your CV axle and drive flanges. Mine does this on drivers side.

check drive flanges

Check those front diff bushings! I spent thousands on parts chasing down this issue and it was a $100 part. Remove the front skid plate, get underneith and have someone hold the brake while shifting from R to D. It will be obvious if there is too much play in the front differential assembly.

Did you replace drive flanges when you did CVs? If not, you can still have some play between the two. I’m not an expert by any stretch, but do have this issue on my 04. I probably need front diff bushing replacement as well.

A cheap band aid for this problem is when you reverse the car, slide the car into neutral slightly before you stop and let the car roll a bit before completely stopping - maybe as little as a foot. This allows for a smooth shift into D, I presume by allowing any tension in the drivetrain to release.

This obviously fixes nothing, but avoids the annoyance while you figure out and fix the problem. Or it can allow you to wait and do the actual fix when it's more convenient or cost effective (like maybe you wait to replace the hub flange until you're going to repack the front wheel bearings anyway).

I thought it was my diff bushing but a new hub flange on the driver side fixed it like 75%. I had an insane amount of play in the driver side flange. Also my bearing retainer nut was hand tight.

yeah i bought a poorly maintained LC and it had a severe clunk until i replaced both the axle shafts and the axle flanges. My diff bushing is very bad but the axle repair is what fixed the r to d thunk. gud luck

A cheap band aid for this problem is when you reverse the car, slide the car into neutral slightly before you stop and let the car roll a bit before completely stopping - maybe as little as a foot. This allows for a smooth shift into D, I presume by allowing any tension in the drivetrain to release.

This obviously fixes nothing, but avoids the annoyance while you figure out and fix the problem. Or it can allow you to wait and do the actual fix when it's more convenient or cost effective (like maybe you wait to replace the hub flange until you're going to repack the front wheel bearings anyway).
This. I can’t figure out what mine is. Definitely not any of the things above as I have my front DS removed and running with the center diff locked. When I’m park I can grab the rear driveshaft and rotate it back and forth a decent amount. No play at the joints either. Have disassembled the slip joint in the shaft, cleaned all old grease and installed new grease. Still have the rotational play in rear shaft.

Last edited:
Are they called flanges in Toyota speak? I'm having trouble finding them for sale. I usually buy from Amazon, RockAuto, or the Lexus dealers on eBay. Poked around some of the supporting forum vendors' sites and they don't seem to sell them either.

Are they called flanges in Toyota speak? I'm having trouble finding them for sale. I usually buy from Amazon, RockAuto, or the Lexus dealers on eBay. Poked around some of the supporting forum vendors' sites and they don't seem to sell them either.
Here is the part number from my order with partsouq. It was like $50 shipped for 1. If you Google "hub flange" they are for sale on eBay but usually like $70

I had to add it to my wishlist and be notified when it was available. Took about a week to be in stock after that and a week to arrive
Screenshot_20210216-052608_Drive.jpg

these are the exact parts i put on my LC.

Many thanks. "Axle flange" yields better search results than "hub flange."

For differential bushing, are we talking Part No.:52380-60030 SUPPORT ASSY, DIFFER? Or is it enough to get one of the differential bushings sold on Amazon/Ebay?

Mechanic jacked it up and looked under it while I sat inside and repeatedly shifted it into D and R. He says he sees some looseness in the front differential mount/bushings but maybe not enough to be causing that thud. He suspects maybe hub flanges are contributing too.

Also, I just remembered that we only replaced the rear driveshaft's two U-joints. The front driveshaft's two U-joints are still original, and rusty. Those are now on the list for replacement.

Many thanks to everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom