Thoughts on removing chrome from drip channel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As the title states just looking for opinions and thoughts....photos would be nice if anyone has some handy.

Tim

I yanked mine and found rust underneath. IMO, the trim just traps water and debris under there.

Mine hadn't caused any rust, but I just didn't like it on there. Looks contrived. Kind of like the chrome rocker trim.

I don't mind the chrome on the wheels, grill, windows, etc., just no need for little extra pieces of metal hanging off the truck.

You can always put it back on if you keep it in good shape.

X - 2

I yanked mine and found rust underneath. IMO, the trim just traps water and debris under there.

Here is mine De-Chromed around the windows.
FJ 60 complete003_edited.JPG
FJ 60 complete005_edited.JPG
FJ 60 complete006_edited.JPG

It's just another place to trap moisture. I removed mine. I didn't find any rust but there was a lot of leaf buds and other crap jammed in there. It cleaned up nice though.

I pulled mine as soon as I got the truck and found a lot of pine needles, leaves and dirt jammed in up by the windshield. These things rust easy enough as is without giving them more help.

yea, what they said. just take it off.

thats the first step towards mirrors you can see out of, blacked out grill, lift & larger tires.

you know you want to.... :p

yea, what they said. just take it off.

thats the first step towards mirrors you can see out of, blacked out grill, lift & larger tires.

you know you want to.... :p

Mine's off and staying that way.

Just say no to chrome:grinpimp::hillbilly::grinpimp:

I did a total black out and love it.

Anybody ever fill in the little holes that the snake blinders (used to) clip into? Or just let em hang? I'm workin on the blackout and am wondering if it's a waste of time and Bondo.

I pulled all of mine when it got repainted and never put it back on....I agree with the point that it traps moisture...Here's mine with the chrome removed from the roof, window sills and lower rocker. I replaced the outer window seals with black rubber seals I pulled of cars in junkyard ( a lot cheaper then buying new rubber seals and you can cut them down to fit.)

Good luck!

Last edited:
Yank it.

As far as the holes for the snake blinders goes - I welded mine shut and grinded them down, and actually Herculined the whole rocker.

IMG_1863.jpg

Heres mine de-chromed

IMG_1943.jpg

What did you do to the exterior window seal ?

The chrome one along the bottom of the Door windows??

- I actually sanded it, masked it and painted it with flat black Rustoleum.

the chrome around the door windows i just used a screwdriver and pried it off while I was doing my paint project.

well I guess it is decided.

Thanks for all the input and photos....

Tim

the deed is done....not that it was that hard or anything....I am thinking about pulling the "snake bliders" any problems with just leaving the holes unplugged for now, as I am no welder and really don't need any other body work done soon?

You can spray the rockers full of some kind of oil (Fluid Film, etc.), then just cover them with little pieces of electrical tape.

I did, and yes, it looks kind of weird. But it works, and the tape has been well stuck for over a year now.

Others have suggested getting some nylon plugs, even painting them before you put them in.

You probably don't want to leave them open to collect mud and water, whatever you do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom