Thoughts on LC250 Remote Touring Capacities (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Your curb weight figure is wrong.
Not the first time I am wrong for sure. Scott Brady article & Toyota website both say 5037 though. What is it in truth?

The link to the technical specifications of these vehicles in the beginning of this thread, which supposedly states the curb weight of them all - which is necessary to calculate payload capacity——- has been taken down.

Gotta wonder why. I don’t think any of us can make any decision about vehicle payloads until we have a verified document. For all we know we’re barking up the wrong tree.

Could we simply ask our local Toyota dealer? I work next door to one maybe I’ll head over at lunch

The link to the technical specifications of these vehicles in the beginning of this thread, which supposedly states the curb weight of them all - which is necessary to calculate payload capacity——- has been taken down.

Gotta wonder why. I don’t think any of us can make any decision about vehicle payloads until we have a verified document. For all we know we’re barking up the wrong tree.
Toyota sells access to TIS; they don't like people copying its contents and releasing it to the public.

Could we simply ask our local Toyota dealer? I work next door to one maybe I’ll head over at lunch
You can ask, they probably won't oblige if they are like most of the Toyota dealers I have dealt with. You can get a 2 day pass for $25 and look yourself
https://techinfo.toyota.com/

The owners manual, warranty info, and multimedia system manuals are available there now for the LC250, no subscription required.

Last edited:

You think the VIN sticker shown is not correct?

1714018204146.png

The tech specs were posted on this forum, per links in my first post, but then Toyota told the person who’d posted those data that they need to be removed, presumably, as I understood, because they were reproduced from a pay-to-access source. I grabbed those data from the tech specs before the post was removed. That said, production payloads listed on placards are proving even lower.

Last edited:
So if I'm understanding this correctly, the door sticker on an actual vehicle is showing 1100 lb payload? Do we know if that cruiser has a dealer-added yellow weight reduction sticker on top of that?

So in a 250 if you have say a family of 4 weighing in at a conservative 450-500 lbs, you have around 600 lbs for:

- Larger/heavier tires
- Full size spare
- Extra gas
- Trailer tongue weight
- Front bumper
- Rear Bumper
- Sliders
- Roof rack
- Drawers
- Fridge
- Camping gear
- Water
- Rooftop Tent

If you want to stay under payload you get to pick two, maybe three? haha wow. Or ditch the kids I guess

There's also a school of thought that would try and keep actual load to a percentage of rated payload, such as 80%.

Also, you'd want to de-rate the payload when you replace the anemic tires that the LC comes with larger diameter ones.

Happy overlanding!

There's also a school of thought that would try and keep actual load to a percentage of rated payload, such as 80%.

Also, you'd want to de-rate the payload when you replace the anemic tires that the LC comes with larger diameter ones.

Happy overlanding!
Not a vehicle engineer, but am engineer and have done system design outside of vehicles. Safety tolerances are usually required to be included in the official number.

You think the VIN sticker shown is not correct?

View attachment 3616030
Payload can not be calculated using GAWR and GVWR.
The front and rear GAW ratings are typically over rated by the manufacturer. ie GAWR front + GAWR rear don’t equal GVWR.

At any rate. Toyota has stated several times that the LC 250 is a light duty Landcruiser. That means it’s not going to be able to compete with a FJ60/62 that has beefier aftermarket leaf springs. Those vehicles were designated as “Heavy Duty “ by Toyota back in the day.

An interview with Dave Harrington on the Overland Journal podcast released on 12/28/23 was an interesting discussion about payload and how some of this stuff gets rated and approved.

Payload can not be calculated using GAWR and GVWR.
The front and rear GAW ratings are typically over rated by the manufacturer. ie GAWR front + GAWR rear don’t equal GVWR.
The white tire rating/payload sticker just to the left of the VIN sticker on the photo shows 1100 lbs for payload.

We didn't pick the framing of the photo but the info we asked for is there.

Not a vehicle engineer, but am engineer and have done system design outside of vehicles. Safety tolerances are usually required to be included in the official number.

Driving a vehicle loaded beyond rated capacity can also pose legal liabilities if one gets in an accident.

Toyota has stated several times that the LC 250 is a light duty Landcruiser. That means it’s not going to be able to compete with a FJ60/62 that has beefier aftermarket leaf springs. Those vehicles were designated as “Heavy Duty “ by Toyota back in the day.
I don’t recall them ever using “Light Duty” in press materials for the US market (other markets yes). Here, they have instead marketed it as a successor to the heavier duty “wagon” lineage of US market Land Cruisers (return of Land Cruiser). The website states that LC250 is made for “expeditions” and the website specs show 1700 - 1800 lb payload depending upon trim. All of these claims now seem untrue, low rent.

Last edited:
Right; they’ve used Light Duty in other markets. That’s the global market press release, not the U.S. press release. Maybe they used it in the US release, but I don’t recall seeing it. In any case, it doesn’t change the problem of misrepresenting the truck, numerically and otherwise, in the US market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom