Builds "Thing 3" FJ80 build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Take your 24 socket grind it down to remove the rounded area on the edge so you can get the socket on to properly grip.
Save it in your toolbox.

I actually tried it last night, and it rounded off again [emoji49]

uploadfromtaptalk1443184206307.jpg

Today I was just messing around with a little mosquito net for the sunroof, and realized that the switch was broken! Not sure what the issue was, so I made sure it was the switch and not the motors.
uploadfromtaptalk1443847289273.jpg

Once I determined that the switch was the problem, I took the broken switch assembly out.
uploadfromtaptalk1443847424007.jpg

I'm not thinking I'll go back to the factory switches, and l will probably just build a new switch setup that's smaller.

I've also been looking into buying a welder, and haven't pulled the trigger yet... Maybe next week

Bought a parts truck today! Got a killer deal on it that I couldn't resist, and will be stripping it and then continuing its buildup in another thread

uploadfromtaptalk1446337104117.jpg

Bought a parts truck today! Got a killer deal on it that I couldn't resist, and will be stripping it and then continuing its buildup in another thread

View attachment 1155840
The thread is called something like '"Thing 4" FJ80 Build' if anyone is interested

Last edited:
You should put your builds in your sig line

Finally got this Kaymar rear bumper off. What I thought would take half an hour ended up taking three days [emoji35] whoever installed it didn't take the time to weld bolts into position, and I couldn't get a wrench on the other end, or even reach them through the frame rails. I ended up having to cut a few off, which ended up working out and was a lot faster in the end. Hopefully I'll be able to sell this to my father and build my own rear bumper.

uploadfromtaptalk1449186973718.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1449187242617.jpg

Jason, you should talk with Phil about mounts, he is local and has a plasma table and a break and has been building a few roof racks here in town. He would probably sell you a set for about the same as it will cost you to build.

Jason, you should talk with Phil about mounts, he is local and has a plasma table and a break and has been building a few roof racks here in town. He would probably sell you a set for about the same as it will cost you to build.
I'll definitely contact him to have my 2nd set made. The only reason I'm making this set is so I can learn how to weld, but after that I'll leave it to a professional

I haven't really been keeping this updated as much as I would have liked, but I also haven't done much to the truck. I have been buying stuff for it though.

Today I picked up a hood from a '98 Subaru Legacy GT, and I'm planning on putting the hood scoop on an 80 hood, painting it white, and then swapping it on. Just putting the hood on another project truck looks good

20160629_154817.jpg

I bought roof rack mounts from Phillip in Grand Junction, I still need to find time to weld them together.

20160603_193324.jpg

I also traded a 3F bellhousing to Jeremiah at Profitt's Cruisers for a very beefy set of rock sliders.

I have a 3FE head getting remachined, too, hopefully I'll be able to do the HG job in the next month, if I have time.

I finally got some time off work, so I cleaned up my "garage" and started taking the head off.

20160715_203135.jpg

I've already pulled a head off of another Cruiser, so this went pretty smooth for the most part. The only problems I encountered were with two exhaust bolts, one came out with an extractor, and the other rounded off too bad to even get a grip on. Luckily I didn't need to get the second one off to pull the head.

20160717_173640.jpg

Nice and clean! And for everyone who didn't think I had a head gasket problem:

20160717_173658.jpg

I'm going to go down to the machine shop tomorrow to drop off a few parts, and then I'll just have to wait a little bit until a head gasket kit comes in.

Wow, that is a head gasket failure like I've not seen before! What's the block look like at the location of the failure?

Wow, that is a head gasket failure like I've not seen before! What's the block look like at the location of the failure?

There's not any head gasket residue like there is around the rest of the block surface at the failure, but I'm hoping it's going to take another HG. I'll get a straight edge on it sometime in the next few days just to be sure though.

Major change of plans: looks like this truck will be getting a 2FE! I'm not completely committed at this point, but I just dropped off a 2F block at the machine shop to be cleaned and eval'd. This means I'll have to do a small body lift, and possibly hood modifications. Hopefully the block checks out, I could really use the extra .2 liters!

Cool! I just got my 2fe running properly. I haven't updated my build thread yet but it is nice.
Sweet! Would you mind posting a complete parts list of what you used from each engine? I'd really appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom