Builds The Wife Got A New FJ40 - Yes it WAS in a Barn (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice find. I need to show this to my wife. I can get another Landcruiser and make it her idea.:cheers:

I'm always looking when I go up to my inlaws in Shingletown. I guess I need to look harder.

Nice!
Perfect candidate for Electric Power Steering.

Surprised this started out as a parts-truck search, I'd kill for a truck that clean on the East Coast. Nice find! I'll be following along to see how it goes.

Well, after all she did find it. Several months ago while touring the local wine country my wife struck up a conversation with a gal pouring wine at one of the wineries and learned her family had an FJ40 sitting in their barn for the past 8 years. At one time it was used to entertain the kids with rides and then used for an occasional hunting trip. Then it ended up in the barn and was occasionally fired up until four years ago.

When I first saw the pictures that were sent by text my original thoughts were to use it as a parts rig. Once we got to there in person our plans changed completely. My wife has wanted a stock 40 to putt around town in and to take the dogs to the park. Turns out this looks like the perfect rig for that purpose.

It needs weather stripping, hardtop gasket, fiberglass top needs to be repaired since a PO cut a 12" square hole for a roof vent, new dash pad, door limiters and a tune up.

I'll pull the tank and flush it, drain all the fluids and replace, check the brakes and go through the electrical. It came with the original jump seats that will need to be reupholstered and eventually we would like to put the OEM bench seats back in. The dash is pretty much unmolested, as is the engine compartment.

I'll add more to the thread as we go through the revival process. Plan is to leave the paint alone and just clean it up and enjoy it. No drive train up grades, no disk brakes, no LS engine. Maybe power steering, though the wife says she's fine with manual steering (for now).

View attachment 1641933 View attachment 1641936 View attachment 1641937

Nice Canvas. Congrats

Your wife is a keeper!

We didn't even look in the glove box when we picked it up. Went to put the new registration in today, and look what I found. Looks like the rodent damage is pretty recent, still a cool find.

20180226_125717.jpg

Hers and hers FJ40's. :rofl:
20180226_153142.jpg

20180226_153217.jpg
20180226_152503.jpg

Hard to imagine they are both 1972 vintage. Well, one has a '72 tub and frame.

Custom doors on the left?

Custom doors on the left?
Yeah, a little weekend project several years ago. Just cut down a spare set of doors I had laying around.

Someday it will be all one color. :)

I like the Partridge Family one better. Nice find on the the Little Red Riding Hood.

So do I but I go for the stock ones.

Question is how has been invested in both and which one do you think is worth more?

The trail rig has had plenty spent on it, but most of that cost has been covered by parting other rigs, bartering, side work on other folks rigs and selling existing parts to upgrade. There's been very little "out of pocket" expenses over the years.

I'll concede that the stock 40, when fully restored will probably be worth more and/or hold it's value longer.

Looks like we'll be searching for more parts rigs to cover the costs to get the new 40 back into shape.

Besides, as I've mentioned before, my wife has horses. You can't just lock them in the shop when you don't want to spend money on them. Nooooooo, they eat and crap all day long. And they need new "tires" every 5-6 weeks. So, it's okay to spend a few bucks on the 40's now and then.

The trail rig has had plenty spent on it, but most of that cost has been covered by parting other rigs, bartering, side work on other folks rigs and selling existing parts to upgrade. There's been very little "out of pocket" expenses over the years.

I'll concede that the stock 40, when fully restored will probably be worth more and/or hold it's value longer.

Looks like we'll be searching for more parts rigs to cover the costs to get the new 40 back into shape.

Besides, as I've mentioned before, my wife has horses. You can't just lock them in the shop when you don't want to spend money on them. Nooooooo, they eat and crap all day long. And they need new "tires" every 5-6 weeks. So, it's okay to spend a few bucks on the 40's now and then.

I agree with you 100% on the cruiser to horse comparison. Not to mention every time you want to go some where you have to arrange for someone to take care of horse. Over the years our house has turned into a rescue for small dogs. Only advantage there is we can at least easily take them to our other home to get out of the Phoenix area heat.

I've stopped buying parts rigs to get parts. A big part of my parts collection was from wrecking yards years ago when 40s were still available. would buy in bulk to get good deals. You could just resell that red 72 to me. Have a feeling I might have a few of the missing parts. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom