The Rebirth: FJZilla 2.0 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I'm a long time looker here but this is my first thread. I wanted to try and do a better job of capturing this 1997 LX450 build than my last build, my 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser. She was a great rig but I was a little hard on here for a daily driver. Below are some picks. More details can be found at FJzilla - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

full

full

full

After a few years, she started making some noises that may have been caused by some hard speedbumps and I thought it would be best to get a new daily driver ;).

Goodbye FJZilla
full

Hello Sexy!
full

Even with a great daily driver, I was missing the FJC but knew I wanted more. No more IFS, I wanted solid axle. I wanted something bigger, older, more mod friendly. In the end, I knew I wanted a FJ80. So for over a year I planned on buying an 96 or 97 FZJ80. Looking for one with no rust, no mods, basically a soccer mom ride and then I found it. A 1997 Lexus LX450 with 180,000, no mods, clean, a bit neglected but pristine. This would be my canvas.

Enter the 1997 LX450
full

Day 1. Rip out the interior as it smelled like crap. Once I got in there, found out the front windshield had been replaced and was leaking. Had my local window guy fix it for $50 bucks. Pressure washed the carpet and removed the jute foaming. Added new auto carpet padding to replace the foam. Carpet is better then new now.
full

Day 2. Noticed the window runs were leaking too. Ordered new windows runs and outer door seals from @Akella AKA Yan. Those went in easy and no longer leaking. Bonus, 3 of the 4 windows roll up much faster. The front passenger still is slow as molasses.

Day 3. Cruiser Crap
Since the whole interior was out, thought I would try Cruiser Crap for my doors. With the need to relocate speakers, this would allow me to plug no longer needed holes.
full

Day 4. Stereo Install
The poor stock audio had seen better days, now its time to crank it it up. Polk MM6501 in the front with Polk MM651 in the rear door. Powered by a JL Audio XD400/4v2 with the signal from an Alpine CDE-164BT
full

full

Day 5. Welding :-(
So, had my friend come over and together we learned body work. He welded the many holes left from the body molding and the roof rack. In the end, he welded, I ground them down and did the fiberglass fill body work.
full

full

Before
full

After
full

Now, On the 6th day, we begin "The Rebirth: FJZilla 2.0"
This is the day where we take this hidden beast and let her out!

This is the day where we add
full

Front and Rear ARB Lockers matted up with 5.29 Sierra Gears.
New ARB 5" Comp Coils
OME Rear Adjustable Panhard
New Rear Upper & Lower adjustable control arms from Metal Tech
Nitro/RCV 30 Spline Front Axles
Knuckle Rebuild Kit W/Koyo
ARB Twin Compressor
Radflo Shocks with remote Resi
37x13.50 Toyo MT
Black AX757 CHAMBER PRO II Beadlocks
and lastly, @4WheelUnderground Stage 3 3-link for the front.

Day 6 continued...
Slowly removing front and rear axles for rebuild/cleanup
full

Out with the old and busted
full

In with the new hotness
full

On the 7th day I will rest. So with much yet to do, it looks like day 7 might not come any time soon :) I'll do my best to keep this thread updated. If you have any question or comments, feel free to post them.

Lastly, I want to thank @jcardona1. Jose's build thread is what made me want to get an 80 over a year ago. I loved his vision and wanted to do something similar. He has been extremely helpful when I have needed to ask questions.

Last edited:
Great intro to the build brotha! Please keep us updated

Great work Chris! Can't wait to see the 4WU 3link, I'll be following closely :cheers:

Ok, mini update. Had to do some grinding to fit the 5.29 gears in the 3rd. Nothing too crazy, just a bit.

full

full

Rears in and patterned pretty well. Locker also passed a 7 hour PSI test.

full

full

full

full

The front gear pattern isn't as nice but looks solid.

full

Also picked up me new kicks for FJZilla today.

full

full

More coming soon.

Last edited:
So, pretty slow week. One of my good friends passed away so didn't get nearly done as much as I wanted.

We got the 3rd member installed and the axle housing painted. Wheel barrings packed and ready to go.

full

full

Got the new brakes installed along with the new links, springs, panhard, and everything else. Just waiting on shocks from Radflo.

full

Last edited:
Holy hell what size are those bump stops? That looks like way more than 2" of travel.

Sent from my SM-G920V

4" the packing slip says. Was I to get 2"? I also didn't get my rear shocks which seemed odd. Called Brian about the lack of shocks but if the 4" is wrong I guess I need to contact him on that too.
Yeah I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be 2". Those are too long, you'll be riding them all the time. And overkill for a rig like this. What coilovers did you go with, 14"?

Sent from my SM-G920V

Here's where mine sit for reference. They only contact when the axle is stuffed equally on both sides. During articulation, the bump stops built into the coilovers stop uptravel on each side.

17173691060_6a2aa71d80_h.jpg

16740997953_577a676373_h.jpg

17360906051_3277b72fef_h.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom