The Long Slow Build - 1980 FJ40 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gcrump01

SILVER Star
Threads
About a year & a half ago I picked up a 1980 FJ40 & slowly started making it right. Posted a few pics then, but just wasn't ready to detail the whole build thread. I guess I've made enough progress for this to be worthwhile and not get too stale before I'm finished. So here goes - a few pics of what I started with.....
IMG_0904.jpg
IMG_0914.jpg
IMG_0918.jpg
IMG_0921.jpg

Obviously a lot of cruiser rot - mostly in the back. Hood & front fenders are in really good shape, like it was parked half way under a carport or something. Rear sill replaced, new rear quarters, patches to the wheel wells, etc....
IMG_0991.jpg
IMG_0994.jpg
IMG_1015.jpg
IMG_1013.jpg

Welding in progress, test fitted with top and rear doors - be pretty bad to get this all put together and the rear doors overlap a half inch!
IMG_1072.jpg
IMG_1075.jpg
003.jpg
002.jpg

once the tub had enough solid steel welded back into it, tub ready to come off and start on the frame. Pretty dirty with some rust, but nothing major. Engine pulled..
012.jpg
015.jpg
020.jpg
008.jpg
003.jpg

Now some progress, a little anyway....frame stripped before powder coating, then after. Turned out pretty well I think.
009.jpg
004.jpg

Full OME kit from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters.....Stripped the axle housings, had them powder coated, the put everything back together with new bearings, seals, etc. Rear end first, then the front
001.jpg
003.jpg
011.jpg
015.jpg

Full engine rebuild - ceramic coated the manifolds, powder on just about everything else - tranny & t-case also rebuilt I love the way the valve cover turned out.
001.jpg
004.jpg

In the mean time, a little progress on the tub also. New floor pans, and some rear bed patches, along with a new rocker panel.
002.jpg
003.jpg
005.jpg
006.jpg
001.jpg

Ah- Z cars and 40's

That a 280 hiding under that tarp? I see those big ole bumpers. One of these days my '69 40 and '78 280 will share the road, seems like its one or the other right now.

Good work, keep it up.

That is a 280z. 1978 Black Pearl with about 36,000 original miles - everything is original except the wheels & tires. I still rotate the seats so the DS doesn't wear out. Few pics attached.
IMG_0642.jpg
IMG_0645.jpg

Beautiful. Much nicer than my Z. Got rear ended last week, wasn't bad, but now fighting to keep if from getting totaled.

But I digress, I want to see where you go with the 40z

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Progress - a little anyway

Tub is standing on its rear end so the bottom can be finished. Little welding & grinding and its almost ready.
001.jpg
002.jpg

Few more of the tub, etc. Trying to be sure about what attaches to these tabs inside the rocker panels - if you know or don't mind taking a few photos of yours, I'd appreciate it. Thread started on the topic here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/792005-what-attaches-these-tabs.html Heat shield for cat converter on DS - charcoal canister lines on PS; seems to be the consensus right now. Pics to confirm would be great.
Rocker tabs.jpg
002.jpg
004.jpg

Nice build thread for sure!

Care to share the backstory on the 40 when you bought it?
Thanks for sharing...I have 40 series envy! Nice to see another in GA

Last edited:
Story is - I wanted a J**p, but didn't want a new one, then thought "Why should I restore something that there are thousands of", once I saw an old FJ40, I was hooked. Wanted a red one, ad after researching, I decided that I wanted a 79 or later with the better highway gears, tank underneath, etc. Not that there's anything wrong with the earlier ones, I just made a decision. Found a pretty complete mostly original FJ40 in GA, close to home. Went and looked at it on a Sunday, by the time I got home, it was done, he delivered it Wednesday. That was about 2 years ago. Told my wife this would take 6 months to restore! Now I'm having to argue that I haven't yet worked on it 6 months - based on total days I actually work on it. Anyway, it was just the right one for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom