The definitive, "Found a good deal on CL" thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was thinking it was way overpriced. Not looking to take something paid that much for off road. If I'm looking for a safe vehicle to drive this is old school. No TRAC/VSC or side air bags. You have little kids you want the Latch system for car seats. VVTI and five speed missing. Might have a locker in the rear but it also has the weaker two pinion in the front. Guessing you can find newer 100 series in this price range that might have higher miles but unless your driving a ton of miles even a higher mile 100 series has a lot of life left in. You put a Air locker into a newer cruiser what's the advantage of the 98/99? :meh:

I was thinking it was way overpriced. Not looking to take something paid that much for off road. If I'm looking for a safe vehicle to drive this is old school. No TRAC/VSC or side air bags. You have little kids you want the Latch system for car seats. VVTI and five speed missing. Might have a locker in the rear but it also has the weaker two pinion in the front. Guessing you can find newer 100 series in this price range that might have higher miles but unless your driving a ton of miles even a higher mile 100 series has a lot of life left in. You put a Air locker into a newer cruiser what's the advantage of the 98/99? :meh:

Many 98 did not have rear AC and rear locker most 99 do
Even with 54K due to year I would wonder about TB condition along with many other age related issues.

For $16K I would be more inclined to pick up a 2003+ with a couple more miles.

No TRAC/VSC, no AHC, no navigation, upgradable stereo, less electronics to fail, 4.3 R&P gears, cheaper insurance, cheaper registration.

Driving in snow and ice I wouldn't be without Trac/VSC. Same with side air bags. AHC was a option late in the 100 series unlike the LX470 which was standard. May have been standard in the last year of the 100 series LC. Navigation I could do without. Don't like the fact audio is tied into it in my Sqeuoia but at least climate control isn't. Thought the same about electronics when it first started to appear but hasn't been a problem in any Toyota I've owned. Same with audio, what comes in the vehicle suites my needs. Only lame audio in a modern Toyota we have around is my mom's 07 Highlander which doesn't have navigation and could easily be upgraded. R&P in the diffs I'm guessing has to do with the extra gear in the transmission or 18" wheels and not sure it would be a negative having a lower geared diff. Not convinced as one of my primary drivers insurance would be that much cheaper but registration would. Also remember insurance will pay less if you total it and will total it at less damage. Could get a special policy with a stated value but that either drives up the price or come with special requirements like miles can be driven and where your can drive it. With a newer vehicle you have a better chance at more of you original cost back with a standard policy for the same amount up front ($16K) for the vehicle.

Front runner RTT - Suppose to look at it on Saturday if not sold by then. He has someone lined up for it already but you know how that works.

Last edited:
Yes Phil, thanks for the offer! This struck me as a purchase that I wanted to see in person before laying down the Benjamins. Hopefully Rudster got a chance to check it out!
The same guy had a hard shell James Baroud tent for sale as well, but much more $$ than the Frontrunner.

Plate says Idaho

....crazy....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom