The Book Shelf (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I was just thinking about a place where we could share books that we liked about Nevada.

Gem Trails Of Nevada

Gem Trails Of Nevada ISBN 0-935182-53-5

Lots of interesting places to go look for minerals and Gem stones. Generaly easy roads but something in every part of the state.

Well we've got five books in our Nevada library.

Nevada: Off the beaten path, a guide to unique places 1st edition
Authors: Mary Buckingham Maturi and Richard Maturi.

Nevada: Off the beaten path, a guide to unique places 2nd edition
Author: Donna Peck

Nevada's Black Rock Desert
Author: Sessions S. Wheeler

The Complete Nevada Traveler, The affectionate and intimately detailed guidebook to the most interesting state in america
Author: David W. Toll

Guide to Getting around in the Black Rock Desert and High Rock Canyon, 3rd edition
Author: Chuck Dodd

Oops, I forgot one:
Stan Paher's Illustrated Nevada Ghost Towns and Mining Camps Atlas
Author: Stan Paher

That's what we've got.

Last edited:
Touring Nevada ISBN: 0-87417-074-5
We have two copies, the dog eared one we use to keep in the truck, and one nice copy we keep in the book case. I noticed there is a new edition out so we may have three soon.

Nevada Ghost Towns & Mining Camps ISBN:0-913814-04-0
Inherited our copy from my Dad, he use to pack us up almost every weekend and head out on some adventure. Joannes first experience with the Nevada desert was day trips in my Dads blazer.

Nevada Lost Mines & Buried Treasures, by Douglas McDonald. ISBN 0913814377 another one from Dads libirary.

Jack, how does the wheeler book on the black rock compare to the Dobbs book. We have the Dobbs book, just wondering if the second book is worth buying.

Jack, how does the wheeler book on the black rock compare to the Dobbs book. We have the Dobbs book, just wondering if the second book is worth buying.

It was published in 1994 and it goes into the prehistory, indians, imigrants, mining/geological, indian wars, ranchers and up to present day. It's a great read, just let me know and I'll bring it Saturday so you can take it home and read it.

The only problem with it is...that it makes you want to pack up and head out there.

Jack

p.s. I listed another book on our list, and added it to the my first post.

While not necessarily a "trail book" about Nevada, I've always thought that John McPhee's "Basin and Range" is one of the best books written about any geographic location (this one happens to be a "geologico-sociological" study of the different small towns dotting Nevada's basin and ranges....

A really incredible read. One of may favs.

Cheers.
-onur
Corrales, NM

While not necessarily a "trail book" about Nevada, I've always thought that John McPhee's "Basin and Range" is one of the best books written about any geographic location (this one happens to be a "geologico-sociological" study of the different small towns dotting Nevada's basin and ranges....

A really incredible read. One of may favs.

Cheers.
-onur
Corrales, NM
This makes me think of another book that I don't have on my bookshelf but is a great read and gives a lot of insight to the area around Reno.

The Roar and the Silence
is about the boom and bust cycle of the Comstock. It has some interesting information, like how many QUARTS! of mercury were delivered to the comstock each WEEK! Now they close down schools when somebody breaks a thermometer. :lol:

They also talk about the early years of the Hard Rock movment in Virginia City where start up groups like the Grateful Dead played in local bars.

There is a lot of unexpected information like that in the book.

We just added these two to the book shelf:
Death Valley SUV trails
Author: Roger Mitchell
ISBN-10: 0970711506
ISBN-13: 9780970711502

High Sierra SUV Trails Vol. 1: the East Side
ISBN-13: 9780970711519
ISBN: 0970711514

We'll probably be adding more of his books to the collection, they look to be very detailed and informative.

We just added these two to the book shelf:
Death Valley SUV trails
ISBN-10: 0970711506
ISBN-13: 9780970711502

High Sierra SUV Trails Vol. 1: the East Side
ISBN-13: 9780970711519
ISBN: 0970711514

We'll probably be adding more of his books to the collection, they look to be very detailed and informative.

Got both of those.:grinpimp:

Jack

Edward Abbey

Not really Nevada books per se, but good reading on the high desert all the same.

"Desert Solitaire"

and of course, "The Monkey Wrench Gang".

Not a tour guide, but if you are interested in the American West and the Great Basin, this is a terrific read and the conclusions of Powell about the West, still ring true today.

"Beyond the Hundredth Meridian: John Wesley Powell and the Second Opening of the West"

by Wallace Stegner

For general trail guides in the Sierras, the Roger Mitchell books cannot be beat. He has been 4wheeling the Sierras since the 50s and is still alive today, living in Oakhurst. I love the facts and bits that go into every book. I've learned more about Death Valley from his books than all of the literature from the Park Service combined.

For general trail guides in the Sierras, the Roger Mitchell books cannot be beat. He has been 4wheeling the Sierras since the 50s and is still alive today, living in Oakhurst. I love the facts and bits that go into every book. I've learned more about Death Valley from his books than all of the literature from the Park Service combined.

He is my great aunt and uncle's neighbor down in Oakhurst! Great man and what a wealth of knowledge...has some hilarious stories to tell! I haven't read any of his books, although I've always wanted to!

I was looking through a book case at Mom's house and ran across a copy of Ghost Towns of the Northwest.
I haven't had time to look at it closely but I'm thinking it will be winner. It covers OR, WA ID MT and WY.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom